Author Topic: LEL finishers list online  (Read 5735 times)

LEL finishers list online
« on: 07 September, 2009, 11:43:05 am »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Really Ancien

Re: LEL finishers list online
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2009, 11:54:41 am »
I think special congratulations are due to the Greek, Israeli and Australian finishers. I reckon the equivalent for us Brits would be cycling in Antarctica, in winter. The Italians did brilliantly too, but they do have access to some serious mountains. The Russians seemed barely affected by the weather, but you do have to respect their performance when you consider that the St Petersburg riders rarely see a hill.

Damon.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2009, 11:58:18 am »
Cycling - Long Distance - London-Edinburgh-London

(412 names on that list)

I think someone should re-check the presence and absence of 'F's next to the names of the Italian finishers.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2009, 12:03:17 pm »
The Russians seemed barely affected by the weather, but you do have to respect their performance when you consider that the St Petersburg riders rarely see a hill.

They should steppe up their game.

Really Ancien

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2009, 12:05:24 pm »
The Russians seemed barely affected by the weather, but you do have to respect their performance when you consider that the St Petersburg riders rarely see a hill.

They should steppe up their game.
They have.

Damon.

amaferanga

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2009, 12:44:27 pm »
Isn't it a fairly pointless list given that everyone who finished already knows that they finished!? 

If AUK weren't so backward when it came to publishing times then it might actually mean something....

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2009, 12:49:43 pm »
Isn't it a fairly pointless list given that everyone who finished already knows that they finished!?  

If AUK weren't so backward when it came to publishing times then it might actually mean something....
On the other hand those who thought they had not finished will be delighted :D to find they have and vv maybe.(Who will not be delighted) :'(

Really Ancien

« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2009, 01:26:58 pm »

It's not so pointless to me, sat here with a list of 600 names signed up for the start, 7 hours of video and no way of knowing if the riders I'm looking at finished or not.
What's interesting about the footage is the way riders look relieved after Alston. It has suddenly hit them that their dreams of a fast time have been knocked for six, but that the relaxed time limit means that they can now begin to enjoy the ride as it was intended, as a Randonnee, not some form of race. I think that's the joy of it. LEL existed as a world unto itself for a few days. Not having times published isolates it from comparison with other rides and other LELs. Likewise with the riders, It's a pity there has to be a cut-off time at all, but we signed up for that, the lack of times preserves the sense of fraternity among the riders.

Damon.

Really Ancien

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2009, 01:40:29 pm »
There's also the problem of the course being unmarshalled, it's not possible to get the distance below 1,400 km, but you can take routes which are faster, so what's the point in publishing times when the riders aren't taking the same route.

Damon.

« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2009, 02:12:25 pm »
Finished??.....it's just the beginning.....surely?
#makewattsnotwar

amaferanga

« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2009, 04:37:52 pm »
There's also the problem of the course being unmarshalled, it's not possible to get the distance below 1,400 km, but you can take routes which are faster, so what's the point in publishing times when the riders aren't taking the same route.

Damon.

To me the interesting part of publishing times is not necessarily the finish times, but the intermediate times so you can look at how riders managed their sleep stops, etc.  It's useful information. 

I sometimes wonder why AUK publish so little information - not just times for LEL, but also information on calendar and permanent rides as well (it starts and finishes at 'A' and goes 200km doesn't help much).  Is it down to some strongly held belief or is it just an inability or unwillingness to put the work into making the information available?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2009, 04:45:19 pm »
To me the interesting part of publishing times is not necessarily the finish times, but the intermediate times so you can look at how riders managed their sleep stops, etc.  It's useful information. 
Yes, that's a good point. It can also help you plan your strategy e.g. avoiding the crowds at Loudeac/Eskdalemuir.
Maybe anonymise them?
I sometimes wonder why AUK publish so little information - not just times for LEL, but also information on calendar and permanent rides as well (it starts and finishes at 'A' and goes 200km doesn't help much).  Is it down to some strongly held belief or is it just an inability or unwillingness to put the work into making the information available?
I think it's mainly the latter, but note we are talking about volunteers who already waste many hours of their lives to put on events for us! The examples you mention have already been discussed in these parts, at least once since LEL as it happens; they are not quick problems to solve.

Note that the stats relayed  during LEL are on the web, I think on Danial's site (a Search on this forum should find them). They're not easy to interpret, but that's upto you ... :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2009, 04:53:25 pm »
To me the interesting part of publishing times is not necessarily the finish times, but the intermediate times so you can look at how riders managed their sleep stops, etc.  It's useful information.

I believe that Danial is looking to publish an anonymised set of control time checkin data for every control once it has been collated. However, there's a reasonable percentage of this data that only exists on 400 odd brevet cards and has to be manually entered.

I sometimes wonder why AUK publish so little information - not just times for LEL

(Lack of) Finishing times is because of a AUK regulation:-

Aug Regulations 5.x

"
5.11 Results: AUK events are not races and no timed results list or placings list of any AUK event is to be published.
"

If you want to change that you'll need to propose a change to the regulations and go along to the AGM to vote on it.

but also information on calendar and permanent rides as well (it starts and finishes at 'A' and goes 200km doesn't help much).  Is it down to some strongly held belief or is it just an inability or unwillingness to put the work into making the information available?

Much of it has never been published in the past, and many people gladly entered the rides without knowing the full details. Much would have been passed around by word of mouth, or through chatting to people on other rides. As the number of rides/perms in the calendar increases the amount of information that can be passed around by word of mouth is diluted.

I used to want to know as much detail as possible about a ride before entering it, now I've mellowed to the point that I don't really care. If I didn't prefer using a GPS for navigation I'd be inclined to turn up at the start of the ride and pick up a copy of the routesheet and ride to that and let the mystery unravel as I go along.

And possibly because people are somehow afraid of asking the organiser, or someone else, about a particular ride. In days before email and cycling forums on t'Internet people will have written letters to each other asking such questions and, more than likely, the post office wouldn't have regularly been on strike to disrupt this. Nowadays people grumble about how they can't even be arsed to enter an event if they have to "faff around" finding two C5 envelopes, their cheque book and 3 stamps.

A polite "can I ask for some information about your perms?" letter to the organiser might not go amiss, along with a "have you thought about updating your perm info on the website to give a rough outline of each route?"

Something like The Dean 300 Perm is all that's needed.

"
Oxford - Stow - Newent - Chepstow - Malmesbury - Membury - Oxford (approx 3900m climbing)
"

« Reply #13 on: 07 September, 2009, 05:00:31 pm »
Anyway, that's *WAY* off topic now.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #14 on: 07 September, 2009, 06:28:43 pm »
Of course the really interesting information that is on that list is:
Average age of finishers of this event - about 48
so I can relax comfortably 19 years from mediocrity   :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 07 September, 2009, 06:36:33 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 07 September, 2009, 06:44:50 pm »
A non-finisher has crept on to the list in error.

Will be removed forthwith.

Keith

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #17 on: 07 September, 2009, 10:13:09 pm »
Of course the really interesting information that is on that list is:
Average age of finishers of this event - about 48
so I can relax comfortably 19 years from mediocrity   :thumbsup:

Whereas I, on the other hand, am average for the first time in my life  :'(
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #18 on: 07 September, 2009, 11:01:15 pm »
A polite "can I ask for some information about your perms?" letter to the organiser might not go amiss, along with a "have you thought about updating your perm info on the website to give a rough outline of each route?"

Something like The Dean 300 Perm is all that's needed.

"
Oxford - Stow - Newent - Chepstow - Malmesbury - Membury - Oxford (approx 3900m climbing)
"

That sort of thing is absolutely fine.  What get me are perm listings like this (apologies to the organiser if he posts on here).  "The Devil Grimpeur" is a nondescriptive title and there's absolutely no route information whatsoever, all I know is that the organiser lives in Burnley.  Once you remember that organisers can move and that Danial runs events in Switzerland of all places, I'm left with an event that probably starts somewhere in the North West but could really start anywhere and then go anywhere.  Should I email or write to all the organisers of similar events, to find out if any of them actually start near me?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 07 September, 2009, 11:43:07 pm »

That sort of thing is absolutely fine.  What get me are perm listings like this (apologies to the organiser if he posts on here).  "The Devil Grimpeur" is a nondescriptive title and there's absolutely no route information whatsoever, all I know is that the organiser lives in Burnley.
Yes yes, we know :)

Please add your voice and/or ideas to the existing discussions e.g.:

I wish Audax rides were just named after the start point...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #20 on: 08 September, 2009, 12:03:29 am »
On how much data is the average age of riders computed? The rides I checked were all 48.

« Reply #21 on: 08 September, 2009, 08:07:08 am »
I think someone should re-check the presence and absence of 'F's next to the names of the Italian finishers.

Tatiana Maslova might be graced with a "F" too. ;)

« Reply #22 on: 08 September, 2009, 08:20:02 am »
It has suddenly hit them that their dreams of a fast time have been knocked for six, but that the relaxed time limit means that they can now begin to enjoy the ride as it was intended, as a Randonnee, not some form of race.

Well said. I wish I could keep up that spirit.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #23 on: 08 September, 2009, 11:38:29 am »
What are the 'F's for anyway.

I Finished, but so did the rest of the list
I certainly wasn't on Fixed, Tandem, Trike, Recumbent, MTB or some other non-geared_upright combi.

In CTC-land Ladies and Vets are L and V.

???

(yes, I don know really, just wondering why it's even been mentioned)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 08 September, 2009, 11:42:30 am »
I think it's an international thing - if you knew any other languages you would know that
F tends to denote the non-male in many of them ;). Certainly more than 'L' does.

(Certainly it's used on other event listings abroad, so that's my guess.)

p.s. you're not a 'V' yet, are you?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------