Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3946461 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #4975 on: 29 November, 2009, 05:21:23 pm »
A lumpy ride to Mammoth Lifestyle at Milford just outside Stafford to get a buff with a peak but they didn't have one :(.Tried on an Assos jacket & looked less like a barrell on legs than last time ,about a year ago, so in 12 months the XL size might look like a sensible fit.Need that time to save enough £ for one  :o
The ride bike was no less lumpy & I took the long way to make it 70km total.
I wore the reproofed Vaude jacket & it didn't bl**dy rain ::-) while I was out.
I didn't have my usual bad hour ealy in the afternoon & didn't have my usual dinner-time meal so maybe the two facts are connected. I did get the bonk a couple of km from home but that was manageable.An interesting exercise in energy expenditure & nutrition.
Eating like a pig since I got home.
The mudgaurd flaps I fitted the other day were a great success:no splash onto my feet at all from the front wheel which was pleasing 'cause the lanes are covered in a mud & cowshit cocktail with lots of standing water about ,some of it quite deep,because the drains haven't coped with the early morning deluge.
Average speed was only 16.5kmh so need to put some hurry-up into it because that's only just above audax minimum speed/maximum time allowance.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4976 on: 29 November, 2009, 06:09:51 pm »
Also, girls (and boys?) please note that keeping your phone in your bra may not be the best bet if you're wearing a boil in the bag jacket. It's now steamed up and not working.  :facepalm:

I suppose it might also give you a pleasant surprise if you set it to vibrate mode...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4977 on: 29 November, 2009, 07:04:33 pm »
After the eldests moan that she missed the night time ride through the woods last weekend, we planned to go out today. So it got to dusk, kids fed and watered, car loaded and off we set. ten minutes (if that) up the road to Templeton woods. Got there to a cacophony of rooks (or maybe an argument of crows) circling before settling down for the night.

Bikes unshipped, off we went with our pale glow worms barely able to light up the paths ahead (all 'to be seen by' lights.) Anyhow it was 'beyond cool' according to my 12 yo daughter and we all had fun, got muddy and broke a bike (*) so it must have been a good time.

I still think I spent more time loading and unloading the car than we did riding but it was a fun trip out.

..d

(*) gear cable I think. I have to fix that tonight.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #4978 on: 29 November, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »
Is riding up 1:5 rivers, open mouthed as your face is being stung with sleet, your ideal Sunday passtime?

Happy to wait in the cold and wet while a portly middle-aged wheelman suffers his 4th visitation?

Love riding home in a strong headwind being lashed with rain?

Hmmmm?

If so, you must come out on a Portsmouth CTC club run, some time soon.

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4979 on: 29 November, 2009, 07:51:52 pm »
A mirror image of Mrs. Wow's and my ride this morning.

Although ours was only the third visitation, the previous two having been yesterday. And yes, it was the same piece of flint for all three.

Oh, we didn't have any hills to speak of other than one which was worth only 26 mph on the tandem. The headwind robbed us of about 7 mph.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #4980 on: 29 November, 2009, 07:58:58 pm »
When will the moistness end?

H

« Reply #4981 on: 29 November, 2009, 07:59:51 pm »
Nope. Well, not on a bike at least. Last ride was Tue, then I was in Poland until yesterday. Only manged a 55' run, or jog?, this am. Lovely weather for it too.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #4982 on: 29 November, 2009, 10:37:39 pm »
A soggy but fun 44 miles back from Liverpool via the Liverpool Loop and then the TPT.
It was wet, it was muddy and the lunch time pub (The Ferry Tavern) only had hot pies and no veggie option except crisps and/or Snickers  :sick: But we enjoyed it.
Full waterproofs, overshoes and Goretex trainers meant that I stayed fairly dry (gotta love the Howies Long Way Home Jacket  :-*) but my MTB probably needs a new chain ~300 miles only ! and it definitely needs new brake blocks. Stopping in the last 10 miles was aided by the aformentioned Goretex trainers being scooted along the track and arrival at several of the gates along the TPT was rather faster than anticipated  :o
I so wish that I hadn't broken my Enigma. I'd specified it for rides such as this....... :'(
For what it's worth we did 45 miles yesterday getting to Liverpool (when it was equally as wet) then had a fun night out. Baltic Fleet is now amongst my favourite brew pubs  :thumbsup:
Some pictures:-
Leaving home

At the Liver Building:-

On the way back (Helen trying and failing not to look smug. She knew her brakes would work):-

« Reply #4983 on: 29 November, 2009, 10:55:45 pm »
Also, girls (and boys?) please note that keeping your phone in your bra may not be the best bet if you're wearing a boil in the bag jacket. It's now steamed up and not working.  :facepalm:

I suppose it might also give you a pleasant surprise if you set it to vibrate mode...

That was a missed opportunity - I have her number!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4984 on: 29 November, 2009, 11:34:56 pm »
A few miles from York to Copmanthorpe in the rain. A few miles from Copmanthorpe to York Station in the rain. Several miles from King's Cross to Ealing in the pouring rain. Thirty odd miles from Ealing to Reading in the rain. It was raining today. I got wet.

« Reply #4985 on: 29 November, 2009, 11:43:47 pm »

Also, girls (and boys?) please note that keeping your phone in your bra may not be the best bet if you're wearing a boil in the bag jacket. It's now steamed up and not working.  :facepalm:

That's nothing.  Our new rugby club shorts don't have pockets like the old ones did, so I decided to store my mouthguard in my boxers for our charity game on Friday evening as I was on the bench for the first half.  (My best position, it has to be said)  

It evidently became dislodged during my warm-up, as I couldn't find it when I had a quick fish-around before going on.  I eventually located it between my arse cheeks a few minutes later.  Talk about a dilemma..

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4986 on: 30 November, 2009, 09:39:21 am »
Yup.  I've been out.  And now my kit is gently steaming on the radiator. 
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4987 on: 01 December, 2009, 01:02:07 pm »
A short 10km:on fixed: to the bank & back.The sun is shining brightly but it is very very cold.Used my Endura Thermalite bib longs for the first time since February-ish.Really warm & comfy with these,a technical base layer & a Goretex windproof jacket.Plus thermal gloves & sandals with sealskinz.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4988 on: 01 December, 2009, 01:21:52 pm »
Just my normal pre-work lap of Central Park. I've been away a week and all the leaves have gone!!! Lovely crisp morning but freezing

« Reply #4989 on: 01 December, 2009, 03:41:44 pm »
At last! Feeling well enough, & a dry day. A bit fresh this morning, but much more important, it was dry! A nice ride. 56.5km to Waltham St. Lawrence the long way round, for lunch & a pint with the Reading CTC pensioners. One ex-CTC councillor & one ex-mayor of Reading present. Someone was kind enough to come up to me over lunch & tell me that he'd been admiring my bike, & liked it a lot better than the Condor Ti equivalent.  :thumbsup:

I almost bought the Condor one.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4990 on: 02 December, 2009, 05:41:08 pm »
More wet commuting and other stuff.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #4991 on: 02 December, 2009, 06:42:51 pm »
Same here!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #4992 on: 02 December, 2009, 08:54:37 pm »
Quarter of a mile on the way to work. Fairy visit. Walked home. Got car out :-[

Blaming it on a colleague who mentioned p*******s yesterday when asking for tyre recommendations.

« Reply #4993 on: 02 December, 2009, 09:28:01 pm »
That looks pretty damn nice.

« Reply #4994 on: 02 December, 2009, 11:13:43 pm »
Only 6 miles to 5-a-side and back via the Marble Beer House ( Two pints Ginger Marble. Nice.)
The MTB had been treated to a new chain, brake blocks and rear gear cable. It felt like a new bike !
Unfortunately the front tyre started going down on the way home but I made it without having to use the pump- lucky that since I didn't take it  ::-)
Gotta love Slime tubes...............
A new tyre is on order anyway since the current one has several large tears in it.
I'm now 4 miles from my target for the year of 3000 miles.
I know it's not a lot compared to many/most on here but it's significantly more than last year and the year before that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4995 on: 03 December, 2009, 02:10:36 pm »
A foolhardy attempt at 63 miles, which I reduced to 38 because the weather was so pissing awful.

I did a little off-road, down an ancient lane which was flooded when Hanningfield reservoir was built in the 1950s, but a bridleway leads back to the West Hanningfield Compasses. Given how wet the weather has been, I was surprised how easily passable it was: NSTN would have had no problem with the first half-mile, which was in much better condition than many a currently used road. I did have to get off for a couple of rather muddier bits but all in all it was pretty easy.

Later, I became the first cyclist ever to use a new farcility just north of Rettendon. One end was still being constructed but I used the last 100 yards, which had been completed. It has a lovely smooth surface but sadly dumps the cyclist in what can only be described as a gravel-strewn collection of pot-holes.

bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #4996 on: 03 December, 2009, 02:52:21 pm »
10 miles and my first venture into the world of fixed gear cycling after having owned a 'One-one Pompino' for the last 2 years.
I have been commutting using the free wheel option all the time, but last night while fettling with the bike, I noticed that the rear sprocket was just too badly worn to continue using it.
I nearly had an 'off' -  on leaving a roundabout I got out of the saddle and gave it a bit of whelly and stopped pedalling whilst I was still standing! A classic beginners mistake I suppose.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4997 on: 05 December, 2009, 02:41:06 am »
yup not too far, and it was mostly yesterday, but some of it was today, so del shouldn't be put out too much ;)

28 and a bit miles all in all.  5 or so to meet a friend for lunch (Green man Little Braxted) followed by 23 with chief following the first half of a "personal TT" route I have, with a detour to the Compasses at Littley Green.

The run to the Compasses was cold, and it was exceptionally enjoyable because it snowed, albeit very lightly.

The ride home was warmer, but not s nice since the very light snow was replaced by slightly heavier rain, but not too unpleasant.  In fact, I stopped for a hedge break at some point and realised how much I missed being out in the middle of nowhere in the pitch black.  I celebrated this realisation with fig rolls.

Edit:  I was also twice startled by the silent approach of large white owls.  It may have been the same one both times.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4998 on: 06 December, 2009, 02:11:27 am »
Yes!  Finally!

After being basically housebound for the last month with swine flu and its aftermath on the Stupid Lungs, the vaguely decent 9C temperature tempted me out for ~10 mile shopping trip.  Was mildly impressed that I didn't have to turn back after the first hill - lungs were being crap, certainly, but I could wheeze my way up at 5mph in the granny ring without actual death. :thumbsup:

That minor triumph aside, it was in all other respects a hellish trip:  Nasty moment with a patch of diesel.  Numpty driving.  Christmas music.  Hellish supermarket crowd.  Pannier fumbling with freezing fingers.  Unanticipated monsoon all the way home.

But I reckon I was still having more fun that the drivers, and it was a successful proper test of my newly fitted gear and brake cables.

Chris S

« Reply #4999 on: 06 December, 2009, 10:59:39 am »
Tinsel Lanes 200km Audax yesterday.

Legs were tired by the end - not an easy ride for a Fat Bloke on a Fixed. Last three hours were Wet Wet Wet, but the tailwind for the last 60km helped.

Lots of cycling kit hanging up drying here today  :)