Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3906666 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #7175 on: 13 September, 2010, 06:07:52 am »

A wonderful late summer's day out in very fine company, along some very fine lanes - thanks, in no small part, to Jane's route planning.
And the amusing company.  Hope that's not the last beautiful September Saturday we get before autumn kicks in properly.

« Reply #7176 on: 13 September, 2010, 12:47:08 pm »

Tatton Park for coffee and cake.

Exactly where in T.P. did you have c&c?.
I ask for a particular reason
TIA

There's a cafe in the Stableyard (where there are also shops and things like animal petting).
It's easy to find- from the Knutsford entrance, go all the way along the park road to a junction around a grass triangle. Turn left, past the Mansion and the Stableyard is on the left over a cattle-grid.
I can recommend the guiness and chocolate cake.
The coffee isn't so good..........

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7177 on: 13 September, 2010, 12:53:57 pm »
Home to Abbey Hulton via Totmonslow,Draycott in the Clay,Forsbrook,Foxfield,Caverswall,Roughcote,Bolton Gate,Hulme,Ash bank,Eaves Lane & back via Eaves Lane,Ash Bank,Werrington,Withey Stakes,Cellarhead,March Lane,Windycote Lane,Banktop,Godleybrook,Godleybarn Lane,Birchenfields Lane,Timpos,Brookhouses,Haplow,Huntley,Teanford,Tean,home.
32km:2 hrs 3mins.

Arrived home just as the rain started :thumbsup:
Slayed a dragon called Ash bank :thumbsup:  :smug:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7178 on: 13 September, 2010, 01:53:52 pm »
For the full-on walk from Leigh to Benfleet stations and back via Hadleigh Castle, about 9 miles in all. One of the footpaths was closed for 5 days on 12th July, something to do with the Olympics, and it's still closed. There was no sign of any work going on anywhere near it.

I'm knackered now and my left ankle is protesting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7179 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:02:52 pm »
I've just got back from a modest but very pleasant 20 miles in unexpected September sunshine, through some little villages then back through the forest. Clouds of little flies under some of the trees on the road, so thick I could hardly see through them - though amazingly I managed to avoid eating any! - but none in the forest. Obviously they only like particular species, I think it's either lime or chestnut. Saw a man on a glossy black roadbike who looked just like Dave Martin (in his photos)! He was heading from the village of Poverty to Misfortune, I was going the other way. Hard to say who had the better deal, but he was going a lot faster.

Then when I got back Mrs C took Little C off for on her luggage rack for an adventure to the Old Sawmill in the forest.  :) No cake, but tasty tomato soup.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7180 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:26:09 pm »
Went out on my kayak wind force 2-3 get down to the Hamble more like a force 4 oh well nice paddle until it started to rain I got soaked and when I got home so was my washing  :(

« Reply #7181 on: 14 September, 2010, 05:13:43 pm »
Went to Altringham, Tatton Park, Knutsford and back home to Wigan. Got absolutely drenched in the morning, but  saw lots of deer, including some absolutely magnificent stags, just chillin in the woods, what looked like a penny farthing, hiding behind a tree and absolutely best of all: 2 deserts for £2 at a pub on the way home.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  not sure what the waiter thought when he realised they were both for me!!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7182 on: 14 September, 2010, 08:21:12 pm »
I had a blusterous ride along the sea front to a spot I noticed yesterday which was burgeoning with blackberries. Once I parked the bike I picked over 3lb in under an hour without moving more than 15 yards away.

I only rode about 11 miles but with the strong wind it felt a good deal more.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7183 on: 14 September, 2010, 09:52:22 pm »
According to my computer I've ridden further today than yesterday. That's believable but yesterday I 'went out' whereas today I've merely been to school and back and town and back, both twice. All those little rides add up, it seems, even if they don't count as 'going for a ride' in my mind.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7184 on: 15 September, 2010, 06:39:12 pm »
Captained the Club Run today (a car assist from near Rugby) - just about 50 miles with a stop at Foxton Locks for lunch - using a route that Polar Bear used for a forum ride back in 2005 (probably C+ then)

Excellent route, wind of a head variety for about 60% was not good.

Rob

« Reply #7185 on: 15 September, 2010, 06:55:38 pm »
Fantastic 80 Km round the lumpy lanes of Monmouthshire with Mal Volio.  Lunch at The Crown in Pantygelli, then a route featuring the eeevil climb from Llansoy to Cobbler's Plain.

border-rider

« Reply #7186 on: 15 September, 2010, 07:01:33 pm »
Lunch at The Crown in Pantygelli

Where we met a chap who easily out-cycle-collectioned the pair of us put together.

64 vintage machines, all in his attic and accessed by some complex arrangement of ropes and stuff

He even had pictures.  With him.

« Reply #7187 on: 16 September, 2010, 12:05:41 am »

64 vintage machines, all in his attic and accessed by some complex arrangement of ropes and stuff

He even had pictures.  With him.

Sounds like the type of person that I would try to avoid being drawn into conversation with 'though, by the time you've found out all this info it's too late....................

Five miles for me today:- too/from a friend's house and then too/from football.
The return was via the Marble.
For a change  ;)

« Reply #7188 on: 16 September, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »
Just under 29 miles tonight- out from Chorlton Water Park to Dunham Massey and the Swan with 2 Nicks (a pint of Dunham Brewery's Green Hop).
After that we meandered through some very dark lanes back to Altrincham and followed the canal into Stretford and I carried on to Whalley Range before turning back to Chorlton.
I'm not sure how many more Thursday night rides we'll do- it really is getting dark early.
Highlight of the ride was following a bat between the hedges along one of the lanes. It was flying at just the right height to be fully illuminated.

« Reply #7189 on: 16 September, 2010, 11:17:29 pm »
Well, I've been officially slacking for much of this month on account of working a lot of hours (night shifts) and not being awake much during daylight hours. Since this is my last non-working day until Tuesday I went for a little pootle up Cheddar Gorge and in a little Priddy-Charterhouse loop. I was most surprised to actually overtake a guy cycling up the gorge  :o :o :o .... that has never happened before! Of course it might say more about his level of fitness than mine sadly  :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7190 on: 16 September, 2010, 11:50:08 pm »
Through the forest the direct way to Dąbrówka, then along a road I've never taken before  :o which took me round the edge of the forest. Then back in among the trees, past one of the lakes, where the swans were right up at the far end, and dodging round the annoying mushroom hunters who had churned up the road appallingly by illegally driving in the forest.  >:(

« Reply #7191 on: 18 September, 2010, 12:29:46 pm »
Boy was that chilly this morning! Just out for a 20 mile round trip to Orsett village shop for a paper and lottery ticket.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7192 on: 18 September, 2010, 04:37:30 pm »
From a strangely pleasing symmetry point of view, whereby last Sunday I did 111.07 miles, today (well, and a bit of last night) I did 111.27 miles, completed on a very pleasing night ride to Harwich in the company of a few from here and elsewhere.  Which also involved going on a little boat.  :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #7193 on: 18 September, 2010, 08:25:59 pm »
Handbag and I did a seventy mile circular out of London via Crystal Palace, Coulsdon, Farthing Down, over the M25 and then eastwards from Surrey to Kent along as many little lanes as we could find, then back to London via Cudham, Downe and Beckenham Place Park.  The highlight for Handbag was Farthing Down- for me it was the tea and chocolate cake in the garden of St Andrews Church in Limpsfield Chart.  It was an easier version of the circuits out of London I used to do about 30 years ago- in those days we would go up and down every possible crossing of the North Downs before heading back from south of Sevenoaks- maybe 90 or so miles in the end.   My truncated version with  less hills was very pleasant. I have no idea how I used to do the old version.    

« Reply #7194 on: 18 September, 2010, 08:41:33 pm »
Handbag and I did a seventy mile circular out of London via Crystal Palace, Coulsdon, Farthing Down, over the M25 and then eastwards from Surrey to Kent along as many little lanes as we could find, then back to London via Cudham, Downe and Beckenham Place Park.  The highlight for Handbag was Farthing Down- for me it was the tea and chocolate cake in the garden of St Andrews Church in Limpsfield Chart.  It was an easier version of the circuits out of London I used to do about 30 years ago- in those days we would go up and down every possible crossing of the North Downs before heading back from south of Sevenoaks- maybe 90 or so miles in the end.   My truncated version with  less hills was very pleasant. I have no idea how I used to do the old version.  It must have been the drugs. 

That sounds a great ride. Farthing Down is superb. You leave Coulsdon and then literally rise above suburbia.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #7195 on: 18 September, 2010, 08:47:46 pm »
Sounds like a great ride Jane  :D

I pootled a couple of miles down the road to watch the Tour of Britain and was completely and utterly shattered after just that effort. I would never have made it through 70 miles with you and Kats so not joining you today (or Adam and the chaps last night) was the right thing to do. Guess whatever bug I've had this week has totally knocked me for 6 :(

« Reply #7196 on: 18 September, 2010, 09:03:40 pm »
Handbag and I did a seventy mile circular out of London via Crystal Palace, Coulsdon, Farthing Down, over the M25 and then eastwards from Surrey to Kent along as many little lanes as we could find, then back to London via Cudham, Downe and Beckenham Place Park.  The highlight for Handbag was Farthing Down- for me it was the tea and chocolate cake in the garden of St Andrews Church in Limpsfield Chart.  It was an easier version of the circuits out of London I used to do about 30 years ago- in those days we would go up and down every possible crossing of the North Downs before heading back from south of Sevenoaks- maybe 90 or so miles in the end.   My truncated version with  less hills was very pleasant. I have no idea how I used to do the old version.  It must have been the drugs. 

surely the highlight was running into yours truly?  ;) (aka ilb) sounds like a great ride, i thought you said it was only 60 miles? you definately haven't put my 40 miles in zone 2 to shame...   :-[ ::-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7197 on: 18 September, 2010, 09:22:03 pm »
I rode from York to Scarborough with some of the fine upstanding citizens of this forum.I didn't ride back.It was a cheque written by mind that my body couldn't cash. :(
Thanks to Crinkly Lion & her mum for hospitality :thumbsup:

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #7198 on: 19 September, 2010, 01:09:05 am »

surely the highlight was running into yours truly?  ;) (aka ilb) sounds like a great ride, i thought you said it was only 60 miles? you definately haven't put my 40 miles in zone 2 to shame...   :-[ ::-)
I didn't think you strayed on to this side of the internet, my dear- was good to see you.  It was 60 when I plotted the route from Crystal Palace but I started and finished from Crofton Park and Kats from Kennington. Added to which we got lost in Kenley and Coulsdon trying to find a nice quiet route to Farthing Down without using the A23.  Well, I got us lost.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7199 on: 19 September, 2010, 10:22:56 am »
Working yesterday and got a 2.30am call out last night so glad I took the day off work on Friday to tackle the Barvas-Callanish-Leurbost loop. A bit windy (not as bad as when I rode it with Jaded) but it stayed dry (and the sun even appeared)  :)