Author Topic: A Bit Late For Work  (Read 40474 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: A Bit Late For Work
« Reply #75 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:46:13 pm »
I don't know what I want to say here... but keep riding and stay careful.

« Reply #76 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:47:42 pm »
Shitty death, C, that's about the worst I've heard - not having had time to check the 999 thread.

+1 to all of the above and a bluff manly hug
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #77 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:49:09 pm »
+1 to what everyone else said, especially the bit about writing everything down in detail.  Everything you remember, whenever you remember it.  It may be useful for reference, or it may just help you sort it out in your head.  Either way, it's useful.  A couple of years ago I stopped to help out when a 12-year-old boy on a bike was hit by a car and left in the road - unfortunately I didn't see it happen, only rode up on the aftermath, and the guy who was already there spoke almost no English.  Writing it all down afterwards helped a lot, even though nothing ever came of it.

Take care.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #78 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:26:26 am »
I've made a note to write stuff down, but it's all churning.

This morning, I rode in.  Slowly, or so it felt.  May just have been 'Friday legs', but it turned out not to be too shabby.  Still got a sub-hour door to door time, and an average ride speed of 23.2kph.  Done worse (last night, for example ;D ).  Because of feeling cold yesterday, I put on a second jersey, and a h*lm*t.

Now I know I don't usually ever really wear a h*lm*t, and I ain't getting into the debate.  It was partly to keep my head warm, but, I admit, partly because I was a bit scared going out on the roads.  I wore a h*lm*t, it's my choice.  There's an end of it.

But I was scared of going out on the road.  less scared being out there, but the going out was hard.  I really didn't want to get up.  And I faffed for ages before getting on the saddle.  Just avoiding it really.

It was OK, though I thought my moment had come when a truck swerved across into the bus lane at Clapham without indicating.  I scowled at the driver when we stopped at the lights.  Bet he was scared! ;D

Getting there...

« Reply #79 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:29:02 am »
WELL DONE clarion  :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #80 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:29:59 am »
Well done Clarion!

You are a Rough, Tough, Hard To Bluff, Lean, Mean Cycling Machine :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #81 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:32:13 am »
Helmet? Why not? I bought one after an off because it made me feel better at the time. I haven't worn it for ages because I've felt better without it.

Keep up the good work.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:34:12 am »
I usually end up wearing my h*lm*t for a week or two if I've recently had a scare.  Liz does the same.

Nobody's choice but our own.  Perfectly okay and bloody sensible if you ask me.

Collisions, accidents and other disasters always make me review how prepared I am when I set off on a bike journey.  How up to date are my first aid skills?  Can I remember all the CPR protocols without having to stop and think?

Am I carrying my gloves and resuss mask?  Do I have a torch/mobile/Sharpie/knife about my person?

As long as we keep on learning, it's never too bad.

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #83 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:37:31 am »
I need to update my first aid skills and get a resus mask.

Well done Clarion!

Thanks.  There's a word for it: Tyke ;) ;D
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #84 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:15:13 pm »
Well done Clarion!

This posting has been edited in accordance with the requirements of the Trades Descriptions Act.

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #85 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:27:15 pm »
Of course it was full moon yesterday - that explains a lot.

Keep your head down Clarion until it wanes a bit more.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #86 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:18:54 pm »
I've rung the Police, to ask them to pass my details on for contact.  No news yet, of course.  I'll let you know what I learn.

I need to go to a Police Station to make the other complaint, and I'm off into Sutton in the morning, so I'll take a good book... ::-)  and I'll do it.
Getting there...

« Reply #87 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:22:50 pm »
I'm not entirely sure why a couple of posters said not to complain to Connaught about the newspaper waving other driver, and only to the police.  I'd be tempted to complain to both, myself, unless there's a good reason not to?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #88 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:40:05 pm »
I'll see what the Police say tomorrow...
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #89 on: 14 November, 2008, 11:27:22 pm »
I'm not entirely sure why a couple of posters said not to complain to Connaught about the newspaper waving other driver, and only to the police.  I'd be tempted to complain to both, myself, unless there's a good reason not to?

If their drivers behave as they do towards cyclists then some missive written on the back of an Audax routesheet isn't going to have any effect. Besides, don't give them the chance to collaborate on statements.
It is simpler than it looks.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #90 on: 15 November, 2008, 03:18:10 am »
Gobsmacked, but then.....
I had a recent incident with an artic. Nothing as serious, thank gods. It was almost immediately outside my front door, on the Balcombe Road, and many of you know that well.
I was indicating right, and moving from secondary to primary, with a stream of oncoming traffic. I knew the lrry, a Carlsberg wagon, was behind me. What I didn't expect was for him to pull out, get his nose past me, and then pull straight back in as the driver shouted "Faaaaaack orf kahn!"
I went onto the kerb. My life for three seconds of his time.
I am not trying to hijack this thread, but its subject, and my incident, and the recent Southampton BBC report all taken together add up to what seems to be becoming more and more prevalent as an attitude taken by drivers.
Out of my way or else.

I have spoken to Carlsberg Tetley, and they said they would investigate and call me back. That was 13 days ago.
I will be calling them again.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #91 on: 15 November, 2008, 08:04:15 am »
Funnily enough, I saw a Carlsberg lorry trying to bully another motorist yesterday.  I took his details and complained to Carlsberg by e-mail.

Perhaps Carlsberg employ all the people who weren't psychotic enough or deemed too psychotic to be black cab drivers (if such a thing is possible)?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #92 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:05:41 am »
If Carlsberg made lorry drivers...well, they obviously don't.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mr_brooks

« Reply #93 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:21:15 am »
Having only just read this and the '999' thread - sympathy for what you have been through.

I am staggered, puzzled, shocked and angry at the image of the guy waving the newspaper with the article about cyclists at you. As an illustration of what cyclists often have to contend with, its a fine, albeit depressing one.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #94 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:38:10 am »
There is an irony in the newspaper as weapon story. Feed the people with a diet of pro-motoring, anti-cyclist propaganda paid for by the motor trade and what do you end up with. It is a great weapon, the media.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #95 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:43:55 am »
Perhaps Carlsberg employ all the people who weren't psychotic enough or deemed too psychotic to be black cab drivers (if such a thing is possible)?

I think Serco have first dibs on the deeply deranged.
Getting there...

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #96 on: 15 November, 2008, 10:51:14 am »
There is an irony in the newspaper as weapon story. Feed the people with a diet of pro-motoring, anti-cyclist propaganda paid for by the motor trade and what do you end up with. It is a great weapon, the media.
Exactly my point.

rathan

« Reply #97 on: 15 November, 2008, 03:10:41 pm »
Dear Clarion,

My name is Rathan. I am the Bianchi rider that you kindly assisted last Thursday morning. Firstly, just to reassure you, I am okay.
I googled the words "accident Thursday morning Clapham Road" and came across your posting. I was really happy because I had been wanting to thank you, and also the kind lady who came to my side giving me guidance and the Australian guy who also stopped to assist. I truly appreciate all your efforts that morning. Thank-you so much! 
The whole incident happened so fast. Your initial posting gives an excellent outline of what happened...better than I could describe. The first time I saw the red truck was as it was turning in front of me. I screamed out, but obviously to little avail. I attempted to turn left myself, but got knocked down by the truck, and then felt what I believed was the truck going over me.
Almost immediately, you all appeared on the spot and thanks to your speedy response the emergency services were there in what felt like only a couple of minutes. In that time, the kind lady watching over kept talking to me and advised me not to move, which I probably would otherwise have tried to do. I also heard another female cyclist stop to offer assistance as she was a doctor. You all may not realise, but having your support at that moment in time, and not feeling alone was a great source of strength for me. Whilst lying there, I also heard in the background arguments going off, which I thought the driver had instigated. It was slightly confusing as the driver was being very apologetic to me as I lay there and didn't sound aggressive at all. It was only after reading your account that I realised that another individual was involved.
As I said, the paramedics were seeing to me amazingly quickly after the accident. The main pain I felt was around my right thigh area. I couldn't feel pain anywhere else. They cut away my trousers, and said there were no visible external injuries. They felt around for breaks, and the pain I was feeling meant they took precautions and strapped me to a board. They were really great, and brought a sense of calm to the whole situation. They took me to Kings College hospital, even cracking jokes on route, and also moaning about the Chelsea result the night before. I was taken to Resus. It was as I lay there, that I saw my bike helmet lying next to me. It was pretty much crushed, and it was then that it struck me what the impact must have been. After being taken for X-rays they found a couple of breaks in my pelvis. But they say they hope it will heal in time, and that I need to be on crutches for 6 weeks. I'm back at home now, dosed up on pain-killers. I'm going back for a follow-up at the hospital on Thursday. As with the ambulance services, the nurses and doctors were incredible. They work for 12 hour days in difficult and testing circumstances and provide such professional care. I think they had added sympathy for me, as a lot of them said they cycle into work themselves.
I've had some time to reflect now, and I think I am fortunate to have escaped so lightly. It could have been a lot worse. The image of my cycle helmet needs no further words.
I have really been enjoying my cycling and far prefer being out in the fresh air than being cooped up in the tube. I love feeling awake and rejuvenated when I reach the office. I like to think I take care when riding and it's a real shame that there are these risks associated with cycling. You wrote that you hope I will be back on the road. Well, I also hope to be back on the bicycle one day (though it will have to be a new one now!)
I'm sorry you have that image of me from last Thursday morning, and I really felt for you when reading the account of your journey home that evening. I think it's best to focus on the positives that cycling brings, being outdoors, riding at the crack of dawn as the sun rises, and all the associated health benefits of cycling. It really is a great mode of transport. Enjoy your cycling again, and THANKS AGAIN to all of you that helped me last Thursday morning! :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #98 on: 15 November, 2008, 03:44:31 pm »
Bugger me, from what I read here I was sure it was much much worse. I'm very glad that you are a ok, see you on the roads in 6 weeks time :)

So what bike are you going to get, have you started to look yet ?

oh btw Clarion top work there :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #99 on: 15 November, 2008, 03:48:34 pm »
Great to hear you're (relatively) ok Rathan - must have been a pretty traumatic experience. Hopefully your new bike will be courtesy of a decent insurance payout (Frenchie will be along in a minute to suggest it's a fixed!)

Stick around on here - it's a great forum!  :thumbsup:

And well done too, Clarion - only just caught up with this & your other experience. Hopefully you'll take the actions of the other driver a stage further.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.