Author Topic: What's your number?  (Read 13904 times)

Martin

Re: What's your number?
« Reply #50 on: 02 December, 2008, 10:44:08 pm »
85, including 3 spooners.

I was particularly impressed with this:

1 Spooner
0 DNF

Seems to indicate a lot of determination and/or good luck!

It's something I do take pride in, to be fair the only mechanicals I've ever suffered have been fairy visits and a broken chain, I do however have a couple of DNS's;

1. Hummers would know more about it  :-[ suffice to say sitting on a saddle was not an option.
2. I'd forgotten the event was on Mothers' Day  :o

« Reply #51 on: 03 December, 2008, 12:13:16 am »

so if you have done 15, 5 of which are LEL, whats the others?

(mmm......idea..........maybe I'll call the LEL certificates 'Spooners')

Whatever you call it, please don't confuse it with the "Spooner Scale," as used by AUKs for grading the quality of Brittish Bus Shelter accommodation. 5 Spoons being very luxurious, whereas 1 Spoon is very poor.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #52 on: 03 December, 2008, 12:32:03 am »

so if you have done 15, 5 of which are LEL, whats the others?

(mmm......idea..........maybe I'll call the LEL certificates 'Spooners')

Whatever you call it, please don't confuse it with the "Spooner Scale," as used by AUKs for grading the quality of Brittish Bus Shelter accommodation. 5 Spoons being very luxurious, whereas 1 Spoon is very poor.

1 spoon in a bus shelter would make my day. 

But 5 ... that is impossible.  How big are these bus-shelters you speak of?

« Reply #53 on: 03 December, 2008, 12:40:17 am »

Pretty good -> Thank you for visiting Unst Bus Shelter

Located on the A968 trunk road between Baltasound and Haroldswick, on the Shetland island of Unst, is a most unusual bus shelter. When a new shelter was built in 1995, it mysteriously began to collect furnishings and decorations. Now it is perhaps the most comfortable bus-shelter in the world, with a coffee table, sofa, television, telephone, microwave oven and even a computer, although none are unfortunately connected. Interior decoration includes a painting, pot-plants and various ornaments. Most of the fittings are removed during the winter months to protect them from the inclement weather. The shelter is 'managed' by a local school-boy.

Having received international recognition and much media coverage, the shelter now has its own web site.

Chris N

« Reply #54 on: 03 December, 2008, 09:05:23 am »

Bus shelter with toilets?  4, maybe 5 spoons I'd say.  Pretty damn comfortable too.

« Reply #55 on: 03 December, 2008, 09:18:22 am »

Gosh! It carries on existing in daylight!

« Reply #56 on: 03 December, 2008, 04:35:42 pm »

[I've forgotten who invented this]

Eddington

Einstein and Eddington

We could do this for Audaxes measured in points. So John's number is at least 10. Any advance?

There's a big gap (in event numbers) from 6 to 10 or 12.

So I've done an awful lot more than 6 600s, but fewer than 10 1000s - as I suspect have very many other people.
<Pedant mode on>
Eddington numbers refer to the number of miles ridden in a day so there will be few who can claim more than 4 as a 600 will take more than 24 hours
<Pedant mode off>

Not having all my cards to hand I reckon I have around 90 brevets of which 5 are Spooners.

« Reply #57 on: 03 December, 2008, 04:43:51 pm »

7 x 200
33 x 100
2 x 50

26.75 AAA

« Reply #58 on: 03 December, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »

Bus shelter with toilets?  4, maybe 5 spoons I'd say.  Pretty damn comfortable too.

Hmm?
That's a tricky one. On the plus side, it has the toilets, appears to be clean and offers shelter from the wind.
On the negatives, it has little protection from nosey parkers or strong side winds which could change mid-slumber.
Do the toilets have hand driers and are they good for drying clothes? And can you fill your bottle up in the sink? Being en-suite is a strong plus point.
Of course, if the loos are desirable, you could kip in there for a while. Very handy on a windy and rainy night.
Location? will you be pestered by locals or is it a nice quiet country retreat?
I would guess the former. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of reading material either, except maybe the bus timetable.

On the evidence given, I would award this only 3 Spoons. It would get 4 if it offered better shelter. The benches look reasonably wide, so less chance of falling off in your sleep. But may not be so good for taller riders. Not much in the way of bike stowage either. I like to keep mine inside and out of view to make myself less conspicuous.

« Reply #59 on: 03 December, 2008, 08:10:45 pm »
Wot e said.

daflloyd

« Reply #60 on: 04 December, 2008, 03:52:53 pm »
2 SRs
No Spooners
1 Broken Elbow

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #61 on: 05 December, 2008, 04:09:40 pm »

Hmm?
That's a tricky one.

On the evidence given, I would award this only 3 Spoons. It would get 4 if it offered better shelter. The benches look reasonably wide, so less chance of falling off in your sleep. But may not be so good for taller riders. Not much in the way of bike stowage either. I like to keep mine inside and out of view to make myself less conspicuous.

I've never been one for grading bus shelters - either it's good enough to sleep in or it isn't.

The one in the link definitely is - I stop there every year, and this year it was also used by GruB, ChrisN Paul D and others if I'm not mistaken. It, or the one it replaced, has been used in the past by Dai Harris, Jack Eason and even (roll of drums) Bridget Boon. What better recommendation could you have?

The one it replaced was a simple affair, but was unusual in that it faced away from the road. So nobody knew you were there and there was no chance of being disturbed unless another rider struggling back from Menai fancied some shuteye.  No en-suite, but one year we found that someone had anticipated its upgrading and used it as a convenience.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #62 on: 05 December, 2008, 04:14:39 pm »
Fifteen.

I only count rides of 1000km or longer
It has previously been discussed that every cyclist has a magic number x, which is the highest value where:
you have ridden x rides of x miles.
[I've forgotten who invented this]

We could do this for Audaxes measured in points. So John's number is at least 10. Any advance?

If all goes to plan, and I haven't miscalculated, it should be 12 sometime this year. 13 could take a little longer.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur