Author Topic: LEL - Can you buy/sell an entry from/to somebody else ?  (Read 3560 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
LEL - Can you buy/sell an entry from/to somebody else ?
« on: 29 November, 2008, 08:48:20 pm »
Not that I am trying to plan a get rich scheme by buying 100 entries in one go and selling them at extortionate rates on ebay.  O:-)

I am keen to enter LEL although it is too early for me to commit ( first 200k ride next week end + 1 chance in 3 to be credit-crunched in 3 weeks time )
Do you think that i may have a chance to get an entry from somebody who cannot make it at a later stage? Or is there some rule against this?
Chief cat entertainer.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Can you buy/sell an entry from/to somebody else
« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2008, 12:34:09 am »
I can't really help you but good luck and may all your children have rubber dicks.

H

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2008, 11:41:16 am »
I think is not OK from two points of view -

1. It is against the spirit of the event.

2. There must be some insurance issue. AUK will have to provide a list of some type at some time. If you are a ringer then I would not know where you stand if there was a claim to be made.

Also if it is your first year of Audax then you will probably be better off just getting into riding long distances. Get through doing 600 events first.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2008, 12:01:20 pm »
Probably the organiser will clarify this at some point but in the meantime...

My guess would be that entries are not transferable.  A certain DNS rate has been assumed, something similar to airlines overbooking flights on the basis that some people will not turn up.  Transferring entries might mean 0% DNS.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #4 on: 30 November, 2008, 12:18:47 pm »
I think is not OK from two points of view -

1. It is against the spirit of the event.

2. There must be some insurance issue. AUK will have to provide a list of some type at some time. If you are a ringer then I would not know where you stand if there was a claim to be made.

Also if it is your first year of Audax then you will probably be better off just getting into riding long distances. Get through doing 600 events first.

I did not mean to enter it like a pirate, just hoping that eventually somebody would have an unwanted entry on its hands and ask the organizer to swap names. I need mileage to know if it makes sense to enter and I just don't want to gamble £150.
Chief cat entertainer.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2008, 01:13:21 pm »
I suppose in a perfect world, where organisers had infinite spare time, a reserve list could be organised.

Then as riders decide to DNS, they could get, say, 80% of their money back. Once numbers are low enough, the reserves could buy the places.

Realistically, I think the current situation is the inevitable downside of a ride with no qualifiers, with a limit on entries to ensure the controls cope. (Hopefully).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Spinners

« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2008, 02:32:06 pm »
Purely on the 'will I be ready' aspect - Spinners says GO FOR IT!

I had a burning desire to ride PBP in August 2007 but started the year very unfit. During January I was doing little 30km rides, February I progresed to 42km and in March I managed to pick things up and do 80km rides but only on a Saturday and Sunday as I never ride my bike on a weekday until the clocks 'Spring' forward (you've got to have a system). I rode my first ever Audax on April 1st (a 200km - I grovelled) and my second the following weekend (a 300km). I then rode the Brevet Cymru and the amazing Bryan Chapman to qualify by mid-May.

For me, progressing up to the next distance worked for me and I think that LEL is perfectly achievable for you!

Good Luck!

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2008, 01:08:32 pm »

For me, progressing up to the next distance worked for me and I think that LEL is perfectly achievable for you!

Good Luck!

Hmmm, I think this may well tip the balance  :-\
Chief cat entertainer.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2008, 05:44:16 pm »
According to the FAQ, there will be a waiting list, so my question is answered!!!  :) 

Thank you organiser for taking the time to manage a waiting list!!!  :thumbsup:
Chief cat entertainer.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2008, 05:56:08 pm »
... but how is this list going to work? Is the idea that there is a cap at 600 before the day, but the waiting list will be used to keep numbers up at 600? If so, I would expect the %DNS to go down with more people from the reserve list. So the "500 limit" becomes even more likely to be exceeded. Maybe there will be a 'secret' limit?

Anyway, I'm sure this will be explained at some point, and it doesn't affect applicants at this stage - if you want to ride, apply ASAP and cross your fingers!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEL

« Reply #10 on: 05 December, 2008, 10:16:55 am »
See FAQ's

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #11 on: 20 December, 2008, 08:18:15 pm »
Ooooooopssss

I did not get credit crunched Wednesday  :thumbsup:   8)
Posted my entry Friday (Why did I procrastinate for 2 days, silly me!!!!) and read the forum to realise that I had missed it! Oh well, I hope that I will get somebody's slot at some stage!!!! I should not be too far down the waiting list.

Anyway I've enjoyed the Mons meander so will carry audaxing anyway.
I have also sent  off my AUK membership.
Chief cat entertainer.