Author Topic: Condor Tempo  (Read 31281 times)

Re: Condor Tempo
« Reply #50 on: 11 August, 2011, 04:58:57 pm »
Bit late to this, but I'd put good money on that being a crack and not a mark in the paint.  I've seen a few just like that

We'll never know for sure (in this case) since it was stolen before I could investigate.

Anyway, the replacement is here:-

2010 Tempo in slate (frameset was £50 cheaper than the identical 2011 version) with Brooks Swallow (Ti), Profile T2-Aerowing bars, Open Pros, GP 4 Seasons (25mm), Miche chainset/BB, Tortec Ultralite rack, SKS mudguards, Condor branded Carbon Forks.

I've got 6 days to make sure it's settled down before I give it to Filthy to transport to Paris for me for PBP.

Will get a better photo when I get a chance. Lovely smooth ride from Condor back to SE1. Reassured me that my 20kg hackbike is one of the reasons why the majority of people have been overtaking me on my commute recently!

Not a completely smooth collection, it had the wrong saddle (Brooks Swift Ti instead) and wrong handlebars (Profile Airwing that drop away from the stem which completely changed the hand position I'd been fitted for) but I'm happy that Condor sorted it all out in the shop there and then and swapped over to the right bits (including fitting the MarSAS foam padding to the new handlebars under the tape). Also not worried since they'd said it wasn't going to be ready until next Monday, so getting it early was a bonus. They also had trouble sourcing the carbon brake levers (Tektro RL970) so I've got a set of cheapo jobbies on there that shouldn't make any noticeable difference.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #51 on: 11 August, 2011, 05:22:10 pm »
Very pretty indeed.

Hope you can get it all dialled in over the weekend and glad to hear it is all sorted out for you.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #52 on: 11 August, 2011, 05:28:38 pm »
Very nice looking

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #53 on: 11 August, 2011, 08:06:22 pm »
Ooooh  :thumbsup:.  Every time I see a gray one, I wonder if I should have waited a year to get mine.  On the other hand, I did have a great time riding it for that year, and the blue is pretty nice too.

What chainset is that?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #54 on: 11 August, 2011, 10:13:17 pm »
It looks fantastic, Greenbank  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #55 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:30:47 am »
Lovely.  Condors always seem to have a classy air about them.
Getting there...

« Reply #56 on: 01 September, 2011, 02:57:56 pm »
Having done ~1400km on it I'm very happy. It behaved flawlessly on PBP.

http://www.greenbank.org/audax/pbp_02.jpg

Booked in for its free service on the 27th.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Re: Condor Tempo - Crack of Doom #2
« Reply #57 on: 27 December, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »
Just cleaning my 2007 Condor Tempo and ....

found a 1.5" hairline crack running from the LH side of the top tube and into the seat tube, parallel to the brake cable cover - exactly same place as Greenbank's   :'(

Although its nearly 6 years since I took delivery of the bike, it doesn't get trashed, hasn't been crashed and has done only 6,700miles as I'm only a (very) part-time fixer.  And <6 years is nothing for a steel bike. I've still got a useable 30+ y.o. steel Mercian.

I will be taking the frame and forks back to Condor after the New Year.

Given that a number of "Condor Crack" frames have been reported here and on LFWSS forums AND that my frame is now probably out of "Warranty" (whatever that means for a steel frame!) what are the likely outcomes:

new replacement frame f.o.c.?
(heavily) discounted new frame ?
shown the door?

Anybody on here got direct experience of this problem and the outcome that I can use as support to my case?

Thanks

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #58 on: 27 December, 2012, 10:21:45 pm »
My frame was much younger but similar mileage when it cracked and they replaced it without quibbling. It is a well known design fault (seat shim too short) so you could try this angle if they don't want to replace it.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #59 on: 02 January, 2013, 01:42:49 pm »
Result

Condor offered me a replacement Tempo frame - no quibble!  I'll pick it up later this week or next, once they've swapped the forks and b/b over

Top marks, Condor!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #60 on: 02 January, 2013, 01:44:36 pm »
That's excellent  :)

« Reply #61 on: 02 January, 2013, 01:50:41 pm »
Yup, specially as the frame is nearly 6 years old. 

Having said that it's still in A1 condition, (apart from the cracked top/seat tube that is) having been lovingly cared for from new.

Pity to see it go, but the Tempo is dead!, long live the Tempo !!

LEE

« Reply #62 on: 02 January, 2013, 01:51:10 pm »
I think my 2009 Fratello is a newer design (and not subject to this failure) but it's still reassuring to hear about good customer service.

In the long-run good feedback like this will pay them back, via word of mouth, in spite of the problem with that batch of frames.

Nice one Condor (again).

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #63 on: 02 January, 2013, 02:03:20 pm »
Great result.

I have never had less than enjoyable interactions with Condor - my Fratello had a small manufacturing defect on the seat post shim (meaning it was a fraction of a mm too large and the seat post wouldn't stay put), replaced without questions, hardware swapped over for me etc.

Brilliant company to deal with.

Just a shame that they've made the Tempo in orange this year - I might just have to get the Tempo to match my Fratello.......
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 02 January, 2013, 02:29:46 pm »
Great service.  But I am concerned about the failure rate experienced.  I wonder whether it's sampling bias, in that there are a lot of Tempo owners on the forum, and they all do a lot of miles.  Mind you, we have a lot of Pompinists, too, and you'd expect higher failure rates on a cheaper frame.
Getting there...

« Reply #65 on: 02 January, 2013, 03:06:22 pm »
Just a shame that they've made the Tempo in orange this year - I might just have to get the Tempo to match my Fratello.......

You're in luck.  I resisted the "future's bright" option and have elected for the understated slate grey livery.  It just oozes class   :)

Yours is still in the shop

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #66 on: 02 January, 2013, 04:06:20 pm »
Great service.  But I am concerned about the failure rate experienced.  I wonder whether it's sampling bias, in that there are a lot of Tempo owners on the forum, and they all do a lot of miles.  Mind you, we have a lot of Pompinists, too, and you'd expect higher failure rates on a cheaper frame.

It's a design fault present on frames manufactured around 2008 so it isn't surprising that they all eventually fail. The newer and older frames seem OK though. The replacement frame they gave me is OK after more than twice the mileage the original had when it broke.
Chief cat entertainer.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #67 on: 02 January, 2013, 04:45:03 pm »
Good to hear.
Getting there...

rob

« Reply #68 on: 05 April, 2013, 11:10:14 pm »
Has anybody found a chaintug that works with the forward-facing dropouts ?

I have one from on-one but it will need some judicious filing to get round the mudguard and rack fittings.

Rob