Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 191517 times)

zzpza

Free maps for Garmin
« on: 29 December, 2008, 03:59:55 pm »
I've just tried out the latest build of the OSM (Open Street Maps) for Garmin by Mapomatic. They are very nice. And FREE as in speech as well as beer.  :thumbsup:

I've only had a quick play with them, but the level of detail (for Basingstoke at least) is very impressive, and exceeds that of the Garmin MetroGuide Europe map that I usually use. See below...

Garmin Map

Open Street Map

The OSM map file from Mapomatic is <64MB once decompressed. Installation instructions (where to copy the file on the uSD card) are on the Mapomatic download page (link above).

You can view the OpenStreetMap online, at the following URLs (thanks inc) OpenStreetMap   OpenCycleMap.org - the OpenStreetMap Cycle Map

It is even possible to make your own map files from the OSM data (if memory in your GPS is in short supply). Instructions and a list of maps for other countries compiled from OSM here.

There is also a UK map with contour information - effectively a free version of the topo GB map here.

The map file can either be copied to the GPS receiver using the free "sendmap20" program (can be downloaded from previous link) or you can remove the uSD card and put it in a card reader to copy the map file. There is a Linux program for sending maps to the GPS too.

So far I have tested the mapomatic UK cyclist map (first link) on my Garmin Edge 705, Garmin GPSmap 76CSx and Garmin Vista HCx with no problems. See later post for screenshots.

Leeg has posted details showing how to selectively create maps for specific areas and send them to the GPS. This is useful for GPS units that don't have a uSD slot so have to store the maps on the lower capacity internal storage.

Remember that the OSM is a community project. If there are areas of the map that are missing or low on detail, this is something YOU can change. More info on this from inc.

A GPS data editor and analyzer that inc recommended.

Jules.

(N.B. I've edited this post to include all the extra information that other forum members and myself have found out since I originally made the post. I though it would be easiest to find if it was kept in one post).

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2008, 04:24:07 pm »
Ooh, that looks tasty - do you know if the cycle version is worth the effort, or just stick to the regular one?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

zzpza

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2008, 04:26:27 pm »
i've downloaded both. i haven't tried the normal one yet. the pic above is the cycle version.

also, it seems that the normal version would work with the garmin satnavs, but i can't confirm that. anyone got one they can try?

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2008, 04:33:47 pm »
Good work. I was planning on looking into OSM if I get a Legend HCx (just looking in the sales and/or waiting for any to appear on eBay if people have upgraded at Christmas).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2008, 04:34:44 pm »
What's the blurred text?  "There be a big underpass here; may smell of wee"?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

zzpza

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2008, 04:43:52 pm »
What's the blurred text?  "There be a big underpass here; may smell of wee"?

hopefully not! it's the lat/long of my study! :P

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2008, 06:48:26 pm »
Incoming SS-20!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

zzpza

« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2008, 07:09:35 pm »
<ducks>

JJ

« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:09:02 pm »
Please forgive if this is a stupid question. What is the extent of these maps?  Do they cover all of UK? Home counties?  London+selected?

Second stupid question:  Is there a way to view them other than to load them onto the Garmin unit?

J

inc

« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:22:10 pm »
Please forgive if this is a stupid question. What is the extent of these maps?  Do they cover all of UK? Home counties?  London+selected?

Second stupid question:  Is there a way to view them other than to load them onto the Garmin unit?

J

You can see the maps here, The OSM site is a bit of a maze.

www.openstreetmap.org/   OpenCycleMap.org - the OpenStreetMap Cycle Map

annie

« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:30:06 pm »
Basingstoke :-\  Brings back all sorts of memories for me.  I recognise Eastrop Park.

I might give these maps a try.

Thank you.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:49:32 pm »
I need to populate it with my town!  Like Wikipedia, it has gaps for us to fill.  Always did enjoy doing maps :thumbsup:

The extent seems to be the world, or those parts of it which have been done.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

inc

« Reply #12 on: 29 December, 2008, 09:03:06 pm »
Is there a way to view them other than to load them onto the Garmin unit?

I just posted the OSM link but did you mean to plot routes, if so then you can use  Viking
SourceForge.net: Viking GPS data editor and analyzer which works with OSM natively or the OSM maps can be converted to Garmin img and used with other applications.

JJ

« Reply #13 on: 29 December, 2008, 09:25:06 pm »
Thanks,
I meant just to view them, to get an idea of how complete they are.  Of course that does beg the question of how to fill in the bits that are missing.  They do look more useful than Mapsource in a couple of ways, so I'll have to try them out

Cheers

JJ

« Reply #14 on: 29 December, 2008, 09:51:18 pm »
They look superb.  I'm minded to load them down onto my memory card on my GPS60CSX.   

inc

« Reply #15 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:07:28 pm »
  Of course that does beg the question of how to fill in the bits that are missing.

The idea is to create maps that are free from copyright, so they are mostly created by gpx route uploads that are then converted into maps either online or offline with an application like Josm http://josm.openstreetmap.de/  There is loads of help on the OSM site on how to get involved. Here is a link to the beginers guide Beginners' Guide - OpenStreetMap

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #16 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:07:39 pm »
Damnit

That may have just sold me a mapping garmin unit.

Which ones do I need to work with these maps?? (starting at the low price end)

EDIT: Must be handle bar mountable.

zzpza

« Reply #17 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:13:52 pm »
Damnit

any that can use maps. best to get one with a uSD (aka transflash) slot so you're not limited on map size by the internal memory of the unit. something like the etrex vista or if you want a cycling specific one, the edge 705 / 605. but these are not your only options. have a look on the garmin web site, it's pretty good and has pics of each model.

EDIT: just saw your edit - the edge series is designed for bikes, so comes with a VERY good mount. (you can buy extra mounts cheap for n+1 bikes). the etrex series also has a handbar mount, but i've never used it. i believe other people here have though.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #18 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:15:22 pm »
Just went on a mapping stroll.  Could this be the fad of the season?  I need to get my hometown just right... ;D

zzpza

« Reply #19 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:17:26 pm »
Just went on a mapping stroll.  Could this be the fad of the season?  I need to get my hometown just right... ;D

i just noticed there's a gap in the mapping of a housing estate within walking distance from me. i might cycle round it tomorrow and upload the track log... :)

« Reply #20 on: 30 December, 2008, 12:05:59 am »
Damnit

I've been trying to postpone the purchase of an Edge 705, this may just be the last straw .....  ;)

Those maps are good, not great around here (Craigavon) but I like the idea of contributing to their improvement.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 30 December, 2008, 12:11:35 am »
The JOSM editor is much better than the online one.  A full suite of map features (bike parking, bike shops, and odd barriers like kissing gates (which I've just added to NCN2!) and work-offline, batch-upload goodness.

simonp

« Reply #22 on: 30 December, 2008, 12:26:02 am »
Unfortunately I don't rate OSM as quite complete enough for Audax purposes (having looked at its routing between, say, home and Lavenham).

However it is something we have the power to fix.  Great stuff.  :thumbsup:

BTW: if you are using a mapping GPS unit to trace for OSM, do remember to turn off lock to road first.  Otherwise, there will be two problems: 

1.  You will be committing copyright infringement

2.  You won't get anything that's not in the GPS map such as off-road cycle routes etc.

I'm going to get around to uploading some of my Audax GPS tracks at some point.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #23 on: 30 December, 2008, 10:52:35 am »

any that can use maps.

The Edge series and other newer Garmin types like Oregon have a completely 'new' way of handling the card data generally, which obviously does work -

older card-carrying Garmins don't treat the card as a 'drive' and you can't really navigate around it - AFAIK, you have to upload the maps into the GPS via Mapsource to register them properly.  So you'd still need a copy of Mapsource.  Enabling this map in Mapsource will at very least need a registry hack won't it?  I haven't seen such a thing as yet (maybe haven't looked hard enough).

And the single map file is too big for older non-card-carrying Garmins - their memory limit is 24Mb.

Great project though.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

zzpza

« Reply #24 on: 30 December, 2008, 11:24:34 am »
The Edge series and other newer Garmin types like Oregon have a completely 'new' way of handling the card data generally, which obviously does work -

older card-carrying Garmins don't treat the card as a 'drive' and you can't really navigate around it - AFAIK, you have to upload the maps into the GPS via Mapsource to register them properly.  So you'd still need a copy of Mapsource.  Enabling this map in Mapsource will at very least need a registry hack won't it?  I haven't seen such a thing as yet (maybe haven't looked hard enough).

And the single map file is too big for older non-card-carrying Garmins - their memory limit is 24Mb.

Great project though.

Good catch, you could always remove the card from the GPS and put it in a card reader to copy the map to it. my uSD card came with a converter to SD and that works fine in my SD card reader.

I've tested the map on my Garmin GPSmap 76CSx

And Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

EDIT: There is a way to create a map file from only a specific area of the OSM, but I've lost the link with instructions on how to do it... :( Anyone else got it? This would help people with only internal memory as frankie pointed out.

EDIT2: Found the instructions AND a list of maps for other countries compiled from OSM here. There is also a UK map with contour information - effectively a free version of the topo GB map here. There is also a free utility called "Sendmap20" that can send the map to the GPS receiver without using mapsource and without removing the uSD card and using a reader. Scroll down to the instructions section of the previous link.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jules.