Author Topic: ignorant RAC  (Read 2543 times)

ignorant RAC
« on: 08 January, 2009, 03:57:41 pm »
I needed some bike lights so popped out to Wilkinsons as they were selling some good cheap ones recently.

They were no longer in stock, but there were some other cheapo LED lights, branded RAC (yes, the motoring organisation).

On the back is the following
Important
You must not use the lamps as cycle lights on their own, but only in addition to cycle lamps complying with BS6102/3.  A flashing rear lamp is not allowed on the public highway

errrr...... yes it is legal to use a flashing LED, and has been since October 2005  ::-)

Also, if the flashing lights meet certain requirements, which these seem to, they can be the only lights we need - so I can use these lights on their own ???

clarion

• Tyke
Re: ignorant RAC
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2009, 04:11:07 pm »
How long have they been sat on the shelf at Wilkinsons?
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2009, 04:38:40 pm »
Not long, they weren't there last month when I popped in to get the last set of LEDs as additional lighting for the Cheetah.

Popping the bar code into google gives many results, e.g. amazon link so it seems as though they are current products, not pre 2005 ones.

gordon taylor

« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2009, 05:53:56 pm »
Lighting Regulations tells the true story.

If I understand it correctly, a flashing rear LED can be used on its own provided that it doesn't have a "steady" mode.

If those RAC lights have such a mode then (technically) they can't be used on their own.

The law is, indeed, an ass.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2009, 08:36:07 pm »
Why bother retooling or changing the packaging?  ;)

I thought it was the AA that had recently retooled?  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2009, 12:26:39 am »
Well, the lights are pretty shoite  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The rear is "adequate" but the bracket is no good.  I've had to supplement it with an elastic band to stop the light dropping down and pointing at the floor.

The front is a dim GREEN light - I thought they'd stopped making GREEN led bike lights about 10 years ago when they invented the WHITE led.

Should I take them back and ask for my £6 back, or should I just put up with these additional "safety lights"?