Author Topic: Mudguard Extensions - Examples please  (Read 48630 times)

LEE

Mudguard Extensions - Examples please
« on: 16 January, 2009, 04:32:42 pm »
Members of the Faccombe 5 are considering fitting mudguard extensions so we can draught each other a bit closer on roads covered in cow-s*** (We just don't like the taste or the s***-splattered face look, OK?)

We mostly use SKS guards and have seen a variety of plastic strips hanging off other folks's mudguards but would like something as un-dorky as possible.

What is there out there?

Thanks for any suggestions, photos, links

Chris N

Re: Mudguard Extensions - Examples please
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2009, 04:34:23 pm »
Funny you should mention this - I found a piece of reflective material (one of the sleeves from a road cone) by the side of the road today.  Looks like it should be pretty good as a mudflap or two.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2009, 04:37:21 pm »
I use plastic washing liquid bottles.  You can cut a good sized flap from one and it is sufficiently rigid.  I rivet it to the guard.

I'll try to get a pic later.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2009, 04:44:43 pm »

I used an old 700C tyre and two cable ties, it follows the curve of the wheel. 

ed_o_brain

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2009, 04:48:29 pm »

Sorry it's not a close up, but it's a milk bottle and black duct tape. It held securely for the 18 months the bike was assembled, and looked surprisingly neat.

I'm sure the same would have worked for the rear too.

« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2009, 04:56:49 pm »
What you want are the ones made by Electra bikes:

http://www.memorylane-classics.com/images/Bike%20Accessories/Mud%20Flap%20With%20Girl.JPG

(Bloody expensive though)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2009, 05:04:16 pm »
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9724.0

Other suggestions in the above. I like the plainer ones in Dave's link.

« Reply #7 on: 17 January, 2009, 09:23:37 pm »
I suspect I've posted this already, somewhere, but...

I use strips from 4 pint or 2 litre plastic milk bottles: -

Take off the label.

Cut around the bottle along the ridges above and below where the label was, to provide a loop of plastic.

Cut across the loop on the line under where the handle was and open out.

Use hot water, hot air gun (not too much heat) or maybe (haven't tried it) domestic iron protected by a thin sheet of cotton to soften the strip. Lay out flat on a suitable surface, preferably with big flat object (e.g. bit of wood) on top.

Cut off wrinkly/ridged edges with sharp knife & steel ruler.

Attach to mudguard by whatever means you fancy. I have used pop rivets, with or without reinforcing strips of plastic or thin aluminium alloy. I'm currently using the reflector which was originally mounted a bit higher up the mudguard. Gaffer tape should be OK, though I've only used it on front mudflaps.

Aerodynamically it has to be the best solution since at speed it streams out horizontally. However in that position it still stops the road dirt from flying up into the face of the following rider (so I am told by the few riders who have followed me).

In terms of appearences, it's not going to win any prizes, for the simple reason that it's permanently covered in mud or animal excrement. Anything that isn't probably didn't do its job successfully.

Photo taken today.

« Reply #8 on: 17 January, 2009, 09:30:58 pm »
I use 5 litre polypropylene cans. The corners are nicely shaped and long enough for a decent straight flap. I pop rivet, but small cable ties might work. Currently I have a black can waiting to be turned into mudflaps for the black guards on the Omega.

When I get round to it.

« Reply #9 on: 17 January, 2009, 10:51:10 pm »
I'm currently using a section from a WHS A4 ring binder (pretty stiff) and a section from a 135col printout binder (much the same as CN's milk bottle). I've also in the past used bits from kitchen chopping mats (intermediate).
Stiffer works better as the more flexible materials will tend to blow to one side or develop a curl to the side if they aren't mounted dead straight.

The main thing is length. To be effective in keeping the muck off the following rider, they have to reach to within 4" or so of the ground. I find it irritating when I've given someone a suitable strip of plastic, and they turn up the following week with it chopped off too short to do much good.
Short wide ones like the one in Kathy's link are meant for the end of the front mudguard to keep your feet and the chainset clean, and don't do any good on the back.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #10 on: 18 January, 2009, 08:12:15 pm »

...................but would like something as un-dorky as possible.

What is there out there?

Thanks for any suggestions, photos, links

When it comes to flaps, what can compare to the leather embossed flaps attached to stainless steel mudguards that we saw on a RUSA bike in France.

I can't find a pic but Liz or Charlotte may have one.

H

« Reply #11 on: 18 January, 2009, 08:30:41 pm »
Ah, but those were splendid flaps.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #12 on: 18 January, 2009, 08:32:22 pm »
Thank you Phil  :thumbsup:

H

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #13 on: 18 January, 2009, 09:28:28 pm »
 How about a piece of number plate, reflective as well.

That bike is fixed now but the mudguard still resides on another bike  :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #14 on: 18 January, 2009, 10:49:55 pm »
Here it is:

velo, Mudguard
Chief cat entertainer.

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2009, 06:00:33 pm »
1 x plastic Milk-Bottle (hacked)
1 x cable tie
2 tiny, matching holes in flap and mudguard

Done.  Looks like a bloody eye-sore but then most of them do (shiny leather ones excepted)

Chillmoister, Keeks, Urbanbiker & Swarmcatcher, you'd better fit them as well or it's coming off, it's too fugly by far.

Right then, it's cold, wet, dark and windy.  Perfect conditions for a 28 mile test ride.

« Reply #16 on: 19 January, 2009, 06:45:40 pm »
I think that will be too flexible and mobile.  My installations are similar BUT - the extension is held by pop rivets in two places, one on either lower edge/corner  of the mudguard (this gives the flap a bit of roundness to the profile and so stiffens it), the top edge of the extension is trapped under the mudguard mounted reflector to further stop flexing and flapping.  You have only that top fixing in my view.

I have also covered my extension in reflective tape, thereby making it dual function.  Like many of us old folk I've been fitting extensions for years, never had a problem finding material and never had them look terrible either.  I've experimented over the years with flat extensions, rounded ones, and slightly rounded ones.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 19 January, 2009, 06:53:27 pm »
Lee:
Do you ever clean any part of your bike before it needs fettling?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

« Reply #18 on: 19 January, 2009, 09:54:10 pm »
Lee:
Do you ever clean any part of your bike before it needs fettling?!?

I gave the back of the mudguard a thorough (5 seconds) wipe with a damp cloth before fettling the mud-flap on.  I don't want to spoil it with too much affection.

I agree though, it is looking a bit dirty.  I reckon it may need a good clean about March time.

It only takes two smallish rides around here to get it looking like that.  Fortunately the gears are whirring round in a lovely oil bath and the chain is lashed with chain lube so it's only superficial.

Note.  It is drilled twice, a hole each side of the mudguard and the cable tie is tight so there is no lateral movement.  It has also adopted the curve of the mudguard which seem to give it some fore-aft stiffness (Hummers to comment?)

nor

« Reply #19 on: 20 January, 2009, 11:05:42 am »
If, like me, your garage/shed is full of miscellaneous cycling junk then dig out those old broken mudguards which you kept in case they might be handy for something.
A short  length attached with cable ties or in the case of the rear, the reflector bolt, makes a very secure mudguard extension.
Too tidy and no junk? Perhaps your LBS would let you rake in his bins!

« Reply #20 on: 20 January, 2009, 01:55:37 pm »
Palmolive shower gel bottle is PERFECT for the front flap.

« Reply #21 on: 24 January, 2009, 09:22:16 am »
Both made from pond liner, the cheaper rigid stuff not the rubber one. They are attached to topeak defender guards , like sks raceblades which I've also got them attached to.

They are fairly flexible and don't snag or make the guards wobble like hard plastic does and they keep crap off my feet/ drivetrain and butt :thumbsup:

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #22 on: 24 January, 2009, 03:35:05 pm »
They are fairly flexible and don't snag or make the guards wobble like hard plastic does and they keep crap off my feet/ drivetrain and butt :thumbsup:
They may keep crap off your butt, but that back one is far too short to keep it out of a following rider's face, which is what the OP wanted to do.

« Reply #23 on: 24 January, 2009, 03:36:04 pm »
they can easily be cut longer  ::-)

It does actually stop muck hitting the rider behind but it splashes their bike. It comes down far enough past the hub and sticks out enough when moving to do so. I have one 3" longer in my bits box if needed ( I've just been out to measure it )  ;)
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 24 January, 2009, 05:28:31 pm »
They may keep crap off your butt, but that back one is far too short to keep it out of a following rider's face, which is what the OP wanted to do.
Well of course it doesn't - but if you're unfortunate enough to have Raceblades, it will certainly be an improvement.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles