Author Topic: LEL - Medication.  (Read 13205 times)

Really Ancien

LEL - Medication.
« on: 18 February, 2009, 02:15:28 pm »
I'm sure it's possible to get round without resorting to Ibuprofen and Caffeine. Does anyone have an good tips on how to do that?

Damon.

Re: Medication.
« Reply #1 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:16:20 pm »
Training, but that's equally against the spirit of Audax.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Really Ancien

« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:37:51 pm »
Training goes better with a bit of ibuprofen. I've tried a number of strategies, no pills, pills from the start followed by gel and no medication until after 600km. You can always tell the ones who aren't on anti-inflammatories, their faces are all puffed out by the action of road shock after 800k. There are side-effects I'm sure.

Damon.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:49:31 pm »
I always leave the Ibroprofen in reserve until it is needed
On PBP this was on until the last day
On LEL this was the day after the Cannobie->Dalkeith->Alston experience
My ankles seem a bit strong now I ride single speed most of the time so I'm hoping that I will get around without it this time

As for caffeine, I will be drinking strong coffee whenever I can get hold of stuff that's any good and I will be eating pro plus like smarties

LEL

« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2009, 03:02:29 pm »
Just for info - if you are taking any prescribed medication, this  will go on your brevet card.  As will any allergies.

Don't want  someone to have an accident , get carted to hospital and be given a drug which may cause interactions, or that you may be allergic to.

What you take en route is entirely your own responsibility.  Though it is likely to be only instant coffee at controls.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2009, 03:02:58 pm »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEL

« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2009, 03:07:19 pm »
Agreed. 

Its that manic grin thats worrying.......

Controllers have the right to pull anyone they think is unfit.  As do the Moto Crew and me.  And we do have a number of volunteers with  medical backgrounds whose experience will be listened to.

Basically if you want to carry on with a dodgy knee with your own supply of analgesia, your knee, your choice.
If you want to carry on and in the opinion of the above, you are liable to require emergency medical assistance, you will be  removed.  We do not like unnecessary paperwork. ;D

;D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2009, 03:26:15 pm »
I'd best start working on my 1000yd stare now...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2009, 03:59:48 pm »
I will be eating pro plus like smarties

Not always the best of ideas...

::-)

When I say "like smarties" I don't mean in mayoral quanities :)

And instant only at controls is going to mean I won't have any there

« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2009, 04:05:33 pm »
The medical man who treated my wife's throat/stomach condition reckoned an overindulgencce in Ibuprofen was about the worst thing you could do for the health of your tummy.

Really Ancien

« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2009, 05:54:25 pm »
The medical man who treated my wife's throat/stomach condition reckoned an overindulgencce in Ibuprofen was about the worst thing you could do for the health of your tummy.
It causes a 'rising gorge' sensation, so it interferes with eating. I can go about two days before I get it too badly. But, with the need to neck 9,000 calories a day at least, anything that interferes with eating is a bad idea. I do find that Ibuprofen helps with saddle pain and foot pain. So I've tended to go onto it after the second day for about 24 hours and then onto gel massaged into the ankles and wrists, where the absorbtion into the system is fastest through the thin skin.
Another dodge is to treat an aching achilles tendon with those plastic 'popsicles' which cornershops sell, They can be folded in half and stuffed down your sock for relief. Don't forget to drink the liquid, as it is quite high in glucose.

Damon.

LEL

« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2009, 07:00:30 pm »
Antacids seemed most in demand at Thorne in 2005.

Plentiful supplies of  peppermint water, gaviscon, and  ranitidine (zantac)  got issued  with fairly good effect.

Ibuprofen is noted for its  harshness on the stomach and  can commonly cause stomach upsets of one variety or another which are usually not  a problem except when the stomach is folded in half on a bike for 1400km.

I did notice the large supply of sudocrem I put out also went, as did the vaseline.

The bar also seemed a popular source of  analgesic.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #12 on: 19 February, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »
Postie has advised me on this and although I am not expecting problems I'll have two bags of bannana cake, seventy-five pellets of tic tacs, five sheets of high-powered blotter antacid, a saltshaker half-full of salt and a whole multicolored collection of jelly babies, wine gums, fruit pastiles, spangles . . . Also, a quart of lucozade sport, a quart of gatorade, a case of the squits, a pint or two of ESB and two dozen flapjacks. Not that I'll need all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious carb collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worries me is the ESB. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ESB binge and I know we'll get into that rotten stuff pretty soon . . .

H

LEL

« Reply #13 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:19:36 pm »
I'd best start working on my 1000yd stare now...

The controllers are highly experienced.  They can spot the genuine article a mile off

simonp

« Reply #14 on: 19 February, 2009, 09:49:09 pm »
I avoid Ibuprofen tablets due to stomach being a bit sensitive and prone to acid, so I'm limited to nice young gels.

I've rarely needed to use them - only on PBP and one or two 600s.

Martin

« Reply #15 on: 20 February, 2009, 07:53:36 am »
Find a friend who has had kidney stones and borrow his Dicloflex; worked for me on my first 600 with a shot knee  O:-)  :demon:

annie

« Reply #16 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:11:12 am »
Find a friend who has had kidney stones and borrow his Dicloflex; worked for me on my first 600 with a shot knee  O:-)  :demon:

Just taken a look in my cupboard.  I have a whole heap of Celebrex, Diclofan and other assorted pills.  I am unable to take any of them now so will be limited to Paracetamol and prayer.

« Reply #17 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:24:00 am »
I trust that no-one here has disapproved of any of the pros who use "tackle" to get round races!!

Really Ancien

« Reply #18 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:36:37 am »
I trust that no-one here has disapproved of any of the pros who use "tackle" to get round races!!

I remember seeing TdF riders hooked up to drips for Aspirin as an anti-inflammatory, that's how they get round the gastric effects. They'll take anything that isn't banned. In PBP there are a suspicious number of Doctors looking very awake indeed. I've never taken anything that needed a prescription, or was only avaiable from a chemist's.

Damon.

« Reply #19 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:44:56 am »
They cant expect us to get round on Paracetamol and prayer can they ?I am thinking about that ESP that Hummers was talking about.Is it similar to EPO ?

iakobski

« Reply #20 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:50:50 am »
Postie has advised me on this  . . .

;D ;D ;D

I trust you'll have your tyres pumped up to 600 psi as well?

not quite sure which turn-off to take . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .We had all the momentum

annie

« Reply #21 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:51:55 am »
They cant expect us to get round on Paracetamol and prayer can they ?I am thinking about that ESP that Hummers was talking about.Is it similar to EPO ?

ESP?  Is that 'extra stimulatory pleasure' then or something else?

Martin

« Reply #22 on: 20 February, 2009, 10:22:05 am »
I hardly think taking pain killers and anti-inflammatory agents on a (probably) one-off and non-competitive long distance event is comparable with the professional cheats in cycle racing

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #23 on: 20 February, 2009, 07:17:16 pm »
ISTR that I got round in '97 without anything, but I was so unfit that after the first 24h I probably didn't feel much.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 20 February, 2009, 07:40:29 pm »
I thought you felt me  ;) ;D