Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2449241 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2550 on: 15 January, 2010, 10:14:00 pm »
Eric-the-Half-a-Bike?
:thumbsup:

'Kemal Ataturk had an entire menagerie called Abdul!'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #2551 on: 15 January, 2010, 10:29:43 pm »
In preperation for JoGLE I had my Longstaff gearing modified to give 24/30 to cope with the hills of the southwest.

My Thorn XTC in original specification had 22/32 on 26" wheels. You could have climbed a wall on it.

That's what my XTC Classic is fitted out with.  I rode the entire climb of the Bealach Beag (a 6 mile climb with considerable stretches at 1:4) a couple of years ago in the saddle and always had at least a couple of lower gears in reserve

It was a different story 20-odd miles later in the last stretch in to Sheildaig, bonking and bearly having the energy to propel myself forwards.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2552 on: 16 January, 2010, 09:11:12 am »
The Hewitt has 22 x 32, which has to date only been used twice: on the infamous Smalldean Lane (unloaded) and going over the Downs on the way to the YACF camping weekend (fully loaded). 

They offered me 22 x 34 but that was just silly - if the hill is that steep I'd be popping wheelies.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #2553 on: 16 January, 2010, 07:15:08 pm »
I hope this works. This is my first posting of a picture. This is the Genesis Day 06 I collected today.

I plan to fit Crud Roadracer mudguards this evening, and adjust the seat height, so I can ride out on it tomorrow morning. Firsdt ride for nealry a month, bedcasue of the snow and ice. Can't wait.

Thanks to Jacomus for very useful feedback.

Lycra Man

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2554 on: 17 January, 2010, 01:43:51 pm »
n+1,  a Commencal Super 4.3 bought in the sale from Edinburgh Bicycle.

There's an awful lot of seat post showing but I only have a couple of inches of stand over height.

First ride this morning and I came off! Went down a track very similar to some others I'd already been on earlier but this one was frozen solid. I'd picked up a fair bit of speed before I realised I was on ice then the bike went from under me and I slid along on my side for about 10 feet. The bike's fine but earlier in the week I slipped outside my front door and fell heavily on the same side.

Sorry for the crap phone photo. It's actually fairly splattered with mud but you can't tell.
a great mind thinks alike

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2555 on: 17 January, 2010, 02:30:39 pm »
I've finally managed to get out on my new Sabbath September out on the road today.  I've built it up with Campag Record/Shimano XT using a Shimergo set up.

« Reply #2556 on: 17 January, 2010, 03:45:08 pm »

My new Surly LHT in Truckaccino. Haven't had a proper ride on it yet, just a pootle up to London Bridge while the Brommie was in for a service.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2557 on: 17 January, 2010, 03:51:03 pm »
Very nice.  :thumbsup:

Hope you took the Brommie in strapped to the back of your LHT.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2558 on: 17 January, 2010, 04:02:58 pm »
Hehe, no, Rob rode the Brommie and then we went and had coffee and CAKE while we waited. And took photos of the LHT, obviously.  ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2559 on: 17 January, 2010, 04:13:35 pm »
I liketh the LHT, but the surplus steerer offendeth mine eyes.  Get thou it chopped  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

John Henry

« Reply #2560 on: 17 January, 2010, 04:21:40 pm »
That's lovely, NSTN. I wasn't sure about that colour when I saw pictures of the frame only on-line, but built up it looks great.

And I saw andrew_s's Singular Peregrine (as per pictures upthread) in the flesh today - very nice, particularly now the snow tyres are off it and the mudguard is properly spaced. It's a really well thought-out frame.

I am getting new bike envy. Hopefully the Longstaff should be back from the sprayers within the next couple of weeks, that should be as good as having a new one.

« Reply #2561 on: 17 January, 2010, 04:33:00 pm »
The LHT looks super in that colour. Leave as much steerer as you can bear - every half inch you chop reduces the potential resale market by say 10% should you tire of it.

Can't count the number of bikes on ebay on which I would have bid if owner hadn't cut steerer right down!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #2562 on: 17 January, 2010, 04:40:54 pm »
You can always mount a SJS Cycles accessory bar above your stem for GPS, speedometer, etc. as you will have lost handlebar real estate by the fitting of the barbag.    :thumbsup:

Lovely looking bike btw   8)

rdaviesb

« Reply #2563 on: 17 January, 2010, 05:38:07 pm »
Plans to head out on the tandem today were scuppered by an ill stoker, so I took this rig out to the shops instead. Ended up doing a solid 20 miles with eldest daughter on her bike following, half of which fully loaded with these boxes plus another 60l lidded box full of shopping. I  just love travelling this way.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2564 on: 17 January, 2010, 05:45:26 pm »

My new Surly LHT in Truckaccino. Haven't had a proper ride on it yet, just a pootle up to London Bridge while the Brommie was in for a service.

Very nice. LHT's look good in any colour but that is rather fetching.

Get your saw out for that steerer though.
a great mind thinks alike

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2565 on: 17 January, 2010, 05:50:11 pm »

BTW, lovely strategic placement of bike next to that sign.  ;)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2566 on: 17 January, 2010, 07:07:59 pm »
Glad someone noticed that sign  ;D Thanks for the compliments. Someone has already taken to calling it my 'baby'  ::-)

I'm not messing with things like the steerer just yet, I need to take it on a few proper rides first so I can check I'm definitely happy with the setup. Pootling home from the bike shop and 6 flat miles to London Bridge and back don't really count  :P This, I think, is the most money I have ever spent on anything (apart from my flat), so I am quite keen to get it right, and also intend the bike to last me for some time.

« Reply #2567 on: 17 January, 2010, 07:09:40 pm »
Lovely Surly.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #2568 on: 17 January, 2010, 09:22:34 pm »
Put the saw away!

All you need is a stem with a bit less rise.  Judging by the height of your bars and the top of the steerer, you could have a nice horizontal stem.  A good place to put a GPS!

« Reply #2569 on: 17 January, 2010, 11:18:09 pm »
Put the saw away!

All you need is a stem with a bit less rise.  Judging by the height of your bars and the top of the steerer, you could have a nice horizontal stem.  A good place to put a GPS!

Good call
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #2570 on: 18 January, 2010, 08:14:47 am »

Looks like a nice new bar bag and saddle bag as well.  Very nice bike, coffee themed colours are clearly the way to go (says the owner of a Kaffenback!). ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2571 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:30:45 am »
I like my coffee black ;)

It's just lovely.

I'm a big fan of horizontal - rack, saddle, top tube, stem top - but that stem looks OK*, actually :thumbsup:

* or will do, when you've amputated the stump ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #2572 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:35:04 am »
Even *I* think that stem looks OK. I much prefer horizontal ones but one on this bike would make the spacers pile far too high and that would be a fashion disaster. A larger frame would look very 80s at the seat pin end, which isn't all bad.

GillP

« Reply #2573 on: 18 January, 2010, 05:23:34 pm »
Nice bike Laura  :)

« Reply #2574 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:24:17 pm »
Hope you have lots of good miles on the Surly, NSTN. Good choice!