Author Topic: LEL - of cleats and stiff soles  (Read 2881 times)

yello

LEL - of cleats and stiff soles
« on: 25 April, 2009, 10:14:18 am »
I usually ride in carbon-soles and Look delta cleats.  Methinks this might be a bit of a pain (hopefully only metaphorically) on LEL so  I'm seriously considering switching to SPDs and my trusty touring Shimano SHT-070s.

Has anyone ridden LEL in stiff soles and roadie cleats?

Edit: My plan had been to carry my carpet slippers (for want of a better description!). This is something I do when doing club runs to restaurants etc, and it's quite workable. However, with LEL it becomes an extra item to carry for arguably negligible gain.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: of cleats and stiff soles
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2009, 07:02:44 pm »
Has anyone ridden LEL in stiff soles and roadie cleats?
Yes. Me , and lots of others. Not a problem. I just took a pair of very thick "sports socks" to wear instead of shoes at any controls I was at for a while. I didn't have any of those rubber cleat covers, but I use them now on very long audaxes.

Someone I know carried a pair of slipper-y things, that I think scuba divers wear, to use off the bike. They weighed nothing and rolled up very small.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2009, 07:16:57 pm »
How about a pair of these?
Vibram Five Fingers: Discover the Barefooting Alternative

very comfy and light.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2009, 07:45:16 pm »
There's already several threads on (more or less) this

eg

SPD vs Look & others

Road Versus MTB shoes- does the weight make any difference?

I'm just wondering if the best place for this might be Knowledge...

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2009, 07:52:22 pm »
My two penn'orth is that it's quite possible to ride LEL with Look pedals, but that for me the advantages of being able to walk in the shoes I have with me make SPDs (or in my case ATACs) a better choice.  I don't think that the performance difference is significant, if it even exists.  But then I usually use sandals :)

The key thing (as you well know) is not to use a different pedal or shoe for LEL than you've been happy riding a 600 with.

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2009, 09:02:15 am »
The key thing in my view would be not to do anything that you are not used to. Never change anything just before a big/important ride.

I don't get on with carbon soles - tried them and get pain. I'm fine with the same shoe except with a more forgiving sole. I'm not alone, several well known riders have the same. Ullrich couldn't use carbon soles, and Adrian Timmis can't either I am told.

Find what suits you - then stick with it.

yello

« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2009, 09:08:07 am »
I'm just wondering if the best place for this might be Knowledge...

Well it was a question specifically aimed at LELers... that's why I put it there! But whataver, it would have been nice to have let me know you'd moved it. At first I thought it had been deleted!   

I'm comfortable on SPD and Looks. Neither would be a problem for me. It's not so much a question as to the pros and cons of the pedal/cleat type as a question of convenience for LEL.

« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2009, 06:50:02 pm »
I've always used SPDs (I'm no racer) and I use a carbon soled MTB shoe1 for Audaxing (so it has plastic moulding on the bottom to allow much easier walking than Looks). I wasn't going to do anything different for LEL.

I probably walked more than 3km on yesterday's ride in them with no problems. :)

1. Spesh Pro MTB.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

yello

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2009, 10:41:24 pm »
Thanks Andy, that's the kind of insight I was after.