Author Topic: To Brighton with the old trucks - May 3rd  (Read 6315 times)

To Brighton with the old trucks - May 3rd
« on: 25 April, 2009, 08:21:40 pm »
Following on from this prod from Comrade Adrian, I thought it best to start a new thread.

Similar to the vintage car ride in November - this one is based on commercial vehicles - so I think there'll be much more variety.
We've not done one of these rides with the commercial vehicles before, so some things may be improvised on the day.

As with the November ride, the plan is to leave and keep pace with these much of the way to Brighton - not as difficult as it sounds, but do not expect to dawdle - it is a progressive ride.
Return from Brighton by train, those who wish to ride back should not expect the pleasure of my company  ;)

Eight days ahead, the forecast looks fine - dry, some sunshine and light winds.
So I am going to suggest meeting in the forecourt of  'The Grain and Grape' Pub, at the junction of Anerley Hill and Church Road SE19 2TF.
Formerly (when Google had their camera out) known as 'The Palace'.

Trucks leave from Crystal Palace Park (200m away) between 07:00 and 09:00, on the basis of which an 08:00 departure for us would seem sensible.
I'll be at the pub rendezvous from just after 07:30.

The next bit is lifted directly from The Historic Commercial Vehicles website: (Click on 'Events' and then click on 'Application Form' for more details of the Brighton Run)

The route, which passes through Streatham Common and follows the A23 through Purley, Redhill, Crawley (half-way halt at Broadfield Stadium off the Crawley by-pass). There is a diversion from the A23 at Pease Pottage via Handcross Village, Watermans Green, Staplefield, Cuckfield, Ansty, Burgess Hill to Pyecombe, where the route rejoins the A23.

Please make yourselves known if you'd like to participate.
My mobile number is available to those who PM me requesting it.

Both of the rides Paul has previously organised to coincide with the Veteran Car Ride have been an absolute hoot - there has been a very good atmosphere on the day - I imagine this will be similar.

Re: To Brighton with the old trucks - May 3rd
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2009, 11:15:13 pm »
Having prodded, I'm in.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2009, 11:16:49 pm »
Ahh!

There you are .

Excellent  :)

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2009, 11:24:37 pm »
Sorry I was out celebrating my Englishness at a St George's day dinner. There was an upside though, we won a share of a bottle of Glenfiddich in the ironic prize fore an Englishness evening category.

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2009, 11:30:46 pm »
We'll not expect you to be out first thing tomorrow then.....  :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2009, 11:36:23 pm »
This sounds like quite a tempting ride. I'm also contemplating the High Easter 100k the following day. Decisions, decisions. 
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2009, 11:38:28 pm »
We'd be more than happy to have your company...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2009, 09:00:44 pm »
Sounds good.  My brother in law has a 70 year old Foden truck which is an amazing bit of industrial machinery, so it would be quite amazing to see so many from that era.

I'll let you know later on in the week if I'm definitely able to make it.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:41:04 am »
Tempted to meet up on the Purley Way ish.  I shall consult all concerned...
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2009, 11:49:57 am »
Bump!

Accuweather is now forecasting for Sunday: 'perhaps with shower, 16°C, light breeze'.

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2009, 07:54:37 pm »
Still in

« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2009, 08:22:18 pm »
Excellent news!  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:49:32 pm »
I think getting to the start by 8 a.m. would be beyond me.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:59:35 pm »
I've never ridden it but seen it from the roadside a few times; it is indeed a lot more interesting than the veteran cars with some beautifully restored specimens

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2009, 10:02:44 pm »
We're thinking of riding over to Purley Way to watch them go by, having a picnic in the sunshine, then riding home.  We can wave as you go past :)
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #15 on: 30 April, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »
Am annoyed that I can't make this ride - am going to see my mate Mike in Maidstone (actually Boughton Monchelsea) who has got a new kidney and this is the only day free that I have over the week-end.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #16 on: 02 May, 2009, 09:56:53 pm »
Assuming I wake up in enough time, I'll be there.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #17 on: 02 May, 2009, 10:20:54 pm »
Assuming I wake up in enough time, I'll be there.

Excellent news!

« Reply #18 on: 03 May, 2009, 04:16:18 pm »
Just returned from this.
Thanks to Adrian, Adam and Alan for the company.

Pictures will follow once I have vetted them.

A good day out.  :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #19 on: 03 May, 2009, 07:18:22 pm »
Well, what a grand day out!

Setting off from Crystal Palace, we followed an eclectic collection of immaculate vintage lorries, fire engines, farm trucks, buses, coaches, ambulances and not forgetting the fish & chip van with its own built in fryer & chimney.

Generally we were faster than the vehicles, as some of them were really struggling up the hills, whilst one bus had a massive backfire cresting a hill and had to coast to a halt.

Being a bank holiday, there was massive queues everywhere, especially at Pease Cottage Services, where I think there was an enormous car boot event.  Apart from the last 10 miles so so, most of the route was on the A23, and I really can't see why the FNRttC doesn't go that way.....

However, I'm not sure how many years have been knocked off my life span due to the fumes coming off some of the vehicles.

Rolling into Brighton on the cycle path parallel to the A23, we went along the sea front to inspect the vehicles as they arrived.  I spotted an old Reading Transport bus which I remember going on, over 30 years ago.

It was a bit weird being in Brighton at a "normal" time, and seeing it full of people.  On the plus side, it was the fastest time I've done to Brighton though.

So thanks to Adrian, Alan and especially Jurek for suggesting this.

« Reply #20 on: 04 May, 2009, 08:36:20 pm »
So, Adam and Adrian were already waiting in the pub forecourt on Crystal Palace Parade when I arrived.
Alan turned up a few moments later…..

As we weren’t expecting anyone else, a few minutes before eight we turned our backs on the rising sun and accompanied by diesel fumes from a Dennis fire engine which had just struggled up Anerley Hill from the park, and the fruity V8 burble of an as-yet-to-be-restored pick-up, we headed south to….

We stopped briefly alongside the former Croydon Aerodrome – London’s first airport, and I managed to capture the following shots, included in which are IKEA’s chimneys on the skyline.

The next stop was Broadfield Stadium in Crawley – half way more or less – thanks to my cr@p navigation it was Adrian who got us there.
Yes, I do it badly, not just in the night but in broad daylight too.

This was the first opportunity we had to get a closer look at the variety of trucks that had accompanied us for the last 25 miles or so. Sometimes they overtook us, other times we overtook them.

I guess the most striking / attractive things about the commercial vehicles was the variety of vehicle types, the multicoloured panoramas of their liveries and the attention to some of the period detail.
In this way I think the Historic Commercial Vehicles Society run differs significantly from the Veteran car run in November.

Stand back! I’m going in!

I had to include this one – simply because the name of the owner / operator

As mentioned earlier, period detail made an enormous difference to how these vehicles appear. Many owner / operators had period cargo on their flatbeds or in the backs of their vans.
Like so:

It all contributed significantly to the look – unfortunately the regulation tail lights conforming to EU standards fitted to many vehicles had the opposite effect.

You could almost hear the Belles of St.Trinian’s ringing when we saw this.

This one, had a numberplate sized plate on the back which said ‘Two Stroke’ which between us caused a fair amount of eyebrow raising and beard stroking in puzzlement – but the commentator in Brighton did confirm that two stroke it was – even though it sounded to us like a conventional diesel.

Our arrival in Brighton, following some 3.5hrs of cycling meant that we saw some of these on Madeira Drive

Some of which were in steam – the odd thing was we hadn’t seen any en route – so they either must’ve travelled very, very early or been trailered there.

I would not like to have the job of turning the starting handle on this.
It comes from another era.
When men were men……

We didn’t know what the criteria was for entering a truck in the Historical Commercial Vehicle Run to Brighton – furthermore puzzled when we saw this (albeit very attractive) wrecker from the early seventies:

And this one from even later

Although the only real surprise is that the tin worm hadn’t got to it sooner.

The first car I owned was powered by the same engine as this Bedford J3

How is that pronounced?
Windy?

I think this was my flavour de jour.
The styling department had clearly spent the afternoon in the matinee performance of Flash Gordon, or was it Buck Rogers?
From the elegant sweeping swages eminating along the flanks from the wheels, to the teardrop shaped indicators.
And then it all went horribly wrong.
What, in god’s name, is going on with the ‘one up / one down’ windscreen wipers?
And likewise with the ‘one up / one down’ wing mirrors?
This vehicle had equilibrium – and then what happened? A committee?

Bah! >:(

The one thought we had about this bus was that with all that glass, and the glass roof, and the (almost certain) lack of AC – it would’ve made for a sweaty coach trip on a summer’s day.

A few details

In conclusion it was a very fine day out in excellent company.
The truck run is nowhere near as popular as the Vet car run in November.
But there were some 200 participants, and plenty of folk were out on the streets (I think we figured highly in a lot of enthusiasts footage) to cheer the vehicles on.

It is a different event to the November one, and on that basis I can see me doing this ride again in a year’s time.

Thanks again, to Adrian, Adam and Alan for a great day out.

EDIT- Refreshment was had from The Madeira Cafe (of FNRttC fame) whose hospitality extended to inviting us to store our bikes within their premises whilst we perambulated along the promenade.
How good is that?

« Reply #21 on: 04 May, 2009, 10:12:01 pm »

I think this was my flavour de jour.
The styling department had clearly spent the afternoon in the matinee performance of Flash Gordon, or was it Buck Rogers?
From the elegant sweeping swages eminating along the flanks from the wheels, to the teardrop shaped indicators.
And then it all went horribly wrong.
What, in god’s name, is going on with the ‘one up / one down’ windscreen wipers?
And likewise with the ‘one up / one down’ wing mirrors?
This vehicle had equilibrium – and then what happened? A committee?

Bah! >:(

On further thought, I reckon that the asymmetry on the wipers is practical. Straight ahead view, nearside curb view.

Anyhow, that was an excellent ride. The event is in may ways better than the old cars, the variety of vehicles and their colours is visually more interesting, as the photos illustrate so well. Dare I also suggest that the participants tend to be a bit friendlier?

Thank you to Jurek for organising it and to Alan and Adam for your company (hope you got the Xbox working OK)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #22 on: 05 May, 2009, 12:39:42 am »
I went down to Crystal Palace park on Sunday morning (but no further due to a combination of factors which included laziness!)

I was faster back up the hill on my trike than this one...

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #23 on: 05 May, 2009, 07:40:15 am »
We never saw AMY 941 on the road. I wonder if it made the run.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #24 on: 05 May, 2009, 08:03:18 am »
I love the labrador's expression in this one:

It's akin to the expression dogs have as someone goes past on a trike.

Great write-up and photos from Jurek and Zipperhead!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk