Author Topic: LEL - Eskdalemuir control - any helpers available?  (Read 7271 times)

LEL - Eskdalemuir control - any helpers available?
« on: 27 April, 2009, 11:59:12 am »
I have taken on Eskdalemuir control, and would appreciate any offers of help that could be given for some or all of the time the control is open.

The control is unusual for two reasons - firstly the local residents have offered to do the catering (and yes, they do know what is expected of them - I met a couple of them last Saturday) so while I expect some assistance will be useful, most of that part of the job is dealt with.

Secondly, because Eskdalemuir is close to the turn, it has a relatively late start and early finish, but riders both outbound and returning will be going through at the same time.  It will thus be particularly busy.

PM me if you might like to help, please.

Phil Dyson

gordon taylor

Re: Eskdalemuir control - any helpers available?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2009, 12:30:14 pm »
I was thinking about this just last night, but didn't know who to contact... and I am unreliable when fixing dates months ahead.
Nontheless, YHPM,

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:07:02 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, but what date are we talking about?

GD
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:14:37 pm »
The first half of the LEL riders set off from Cheshunt at 8am on Sunday 26th July. Second lot set off at 2pm on the Sunday.

The fastest riders (30kph average) could be there at just after 5am on the Monday, but that's highly unlikely. More likely to be Monday afternoon.

The slowest riders should be passing back South through Eskdalemuir (799km) by Wednesday at about 8.30am.

Obviously there'll need people before/after these times to help setup and clear up.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:16:12 pm »

GD
Sorry, I really should have said.  The event starts on Sunday 26th July.  Riders will start to arrive at Eskdalemuir on Monday morning, 27th, and the last to leave (and still be in time) will be mid Wednesday morning, 29th.

I anticipate midday Monday to late afternoon Tuesday being constantly very busy.  And through 'til early Wednesday being fairly busy.

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »
One thing I see as being quite popular at Eskdalemuir is for people to want to leave a bag of stuff whilst they do the hilly bits up to Dalkeith and back, and then pick it up on the way back South. Might be worth thinking about how to deal with this.

« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:38:59 pm »
This should not be a particularly big problem, Alex.  The control is formerly the village school, and I understand it has a number of rooms (I shall be visiting it in a couple of weeks time, so will have a better idea then).  Subject to not detracting from sleeping areas, it should be possible to provide a space for such bags.  I doubt it will be guaranteed secure, though.

Eskdalemuir is not one of the designated bag drops (I know that is not what you were referring to).  I'm not sure what effect that will have on the number of folks overnighting there.  Both Alston (90k before) and Dalkeith (85k after) are designated bag drops, and have better sleeping arrangement than we will be able to provide at Eskdalemuir.  We have no showers, and apart from some blakets being available it doesn't appear we will have anything other than some floor space.  We'll be doing what we can, though.

« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2009, 02:06:43 pm »
Thanks Phil.

I doubt it will be guaranteed secure, though.

Understood, wouldn't expect anything to be guaranteed secure during such an event.

Eskdalemuir is not one of the designated bag drops (I know that is not what you were referring to).  I'm not sure what effect that will have on the number of folks overnighting there.

The (provisional) route sheet on the website states that there is an optional sleep stop at Traquair (55km North of Eskdalemuir, 38km to/from Dalkeith). So that's 678km on the way out, or 754km on the way back.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2009, 02:21:25 pm »
Eskdalemuir is not one of the designated bag drops (I know that is not what you were referring to).  I'm not sure what effect that will have on the number of folks overnighting there.  Both Alston (90k before) and Dalkeith (85k after) are designated bag drops, and have better sleeping arrangement than we will be able to provide at Eskdalemuir.  We have no showers, and apart from some blakets being available it doesn't appear we will have anything other than some floor space.  We'll be doing what we can, though.
That's interesting. I hadn't realised some controls were designated more 'sleep-friendly' than others.

Makes it even more difficult to try to 'dodge the crowds'.

(p.s. based on PBP, I think I'll be quite capable of sleeping without a shower :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2009, 02:31:38 pm »
Alex - at a meeting of controllers last Saturday, no mention was made of a sleep stop between Eskdalemuir and Dalkeith, though there was mysterious reference to something unmentionable in that section.

Matt - there will be better facilities at some controls than others.  Alston is (I think) a youth hostel, with beds.  Dalkeith has the use of a church close by, where you can sleep on the pews.  I have no idea whether the pews are padded!  As I understand it, you are being advised to have a sleeping mat in your bagdrop (and remember you have the free one at Dalkeith and another if you pay for it), though this presumes a level of forward planning that might be inapropriate.  Unless I can source some form of foam really cheaply (because the cost would probably come out of my pocket!) it seems that all we will be providing at Eskdalemuir is floorspace and a blanket (and you might be required to pay a nominal rental for the blanket - that does not seem to have been decided yet).

« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2009, 02:46:13 pm »
Alex - at a meeting of controllers last Saturday, no mention was made of a sleep stop between Eskdalemuir and Dalkeith, though there was mysterious reference to something unmentionable in that section.

Someone might have spilled the beans then. I've been checking for changes to the (provisional) routesheet that is linked from the AUK website and it is a recent addition (it wasn't there two weeks ago).

-
-> Northbound: http://tinyurl.com/9rj638
-> Southbound: http://tinyurl.com/8k49bk

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2009, 08:14:16 pm »

GD
Sorry, I really should have said.  The event starts on Sunday 26th July.  Riders will start to arrive at Eskdalemuir on Monday morning, 27th, and the last to leave (and still be in time) will be mid Wednesday morning, 29th.

I anticipate midday Monday to late afternoon Tuesday being constantly very busy.

Thanks. I don't often visit this section of the board as I'm not entered, but I did indicate I'd like to help at controls. Eskdalemuir looks like an option for me.

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

gordon taylor

« Reply #12 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:24:07 pm »
Glasgowdave makes a good point - if forum members have the LEL board ignored, then they won't see this request for volunteers. I've been thinking about volunteering for months but haven't been "in the loop" to find out what was going on...

Is the event still short of volunteers? I've no idea.

Perhaps a request on a non-LEL thread might get a response if that is needed.

« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2009, 08:33:16 am »
I have now done this. 

Anyone who wants to volunteer for any control, for all or part of the time, is welcome to contact me and I can put you in touch with the appropriate control leader.  So far as I know all controls would love to hear from further volunteers.

BUT - as the reason for some of the threads about helping at controls have come about is due to a lack of communication, please note that I will be away 1st to 9th May, with limited (if any) web access.

« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2009, 07:51:22 pm »
Eskdalemuir has been a favourite sleeping location for many in the past. Mostly because riders want to do the Scottish bit by daylight both for scenery and road quality. I've been sleeping in the past at Eskdalemuir or Canonbie like a clochard, simply on some pieces of cardboard covered by a single blanket.

Really Ancien

« Reply #15 on: 28 April, 2009, 07:59:45 pm »
I've been sleeping in the past at Eskdalemuir or Canonbie like a clochard, simply on some pieces of cardboard covered by a single blanket.

Cardboard! You were lucky, I had to sleep on a handful of wet gravel.

Damon.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #16 on: 28 April, 2009, 11:54:27 pm »
I've been sleeping in the past at Eskdalemuir or Canonbie like a clochard

What's this Ivo? - esperanto for 'bellringer'?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2009, 05:54:58 am »
I've been sleeping in the past at Eskdalemuir or Canonbie like a clochard

What's this Ivo? - esperanto for 'bellringer'?

No, Parisian homeless ;)

Really Ancien

« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2009, 06:38:33 am »
Image Google can be your friend.

Damon

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2009, 08:54:01 am »

"Welcome to Eskdalemuir control - would you like butter on your toast?"
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

gordon taylor

« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2009, 07:57:38 pm »
I'm shy about asking (another) stupid question, but here goes.

Is there a 2009 control at Canonbie? It is mentioned several times in the newsletter download (but not on the website) and the "preference" sheet asks for a tick beside "Canonbie/Eskdalemuir."

If I volunteer at Eskdalemuir, will I need to go to Canonbie too?

« Reply #21 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:03:04 pm »
The control was originally going to be at Canonbie, but is now at Eskdalemuir.

gordon taylor

« Reply #22 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:04:11 pm »
The control was originally going to be at Canonbie, but is now at Eskdalemuir.

Thank you.
No problem.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #23 on: 30 April, 2009, 06:45:38 pm »
To follow on from Phil, I have taken on Coxwold Control, a truely beautiful village, next stop on from Thorne en route. I am currently trying to plan and recruit Volunteers and I am finding a bit of a black hole! If anyone would like to volunteer for this control I would be very grateful.  The village  has a fantastic pub :demon:
Not just a cyclist's wife!

« Reply #24 on: 30 April, 2009, 08:24:04 pm »
Welcome to yACF, Lynn.

But don't you dare nick any of my volunteers!    ;)