Author Topic: LEL - Heathrow Bike Box Stowage  (Read 6165 times)

jende

• Cap'n
LEL - Heathrow Bike Box Stowage
« on: 04 May, 2009, 01:49:01 pm »
My friend and I are coming across the pond to ride with you stark raving lunatics.  We are very much looking forward to being lost for 5 days and nights.  I've enjoyed reading your posts.  They confirm that you all are quite quite mad.  One bit of our itinerary not completely worked out is transport from Heathrow early Friday Morning to Lea Valley.  Is riding our bicycles a sane option?  If we choose to ride our bikes there is the issue of stowing a bike box at Heathrow.  Is this possible?

Any advice appreciated.

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.
Charles Bukowski

Re: Heathrow Bike Box Stowage
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2009, 02:00:50 pm »
This lot have a left luggage facility in every terminal at Heathrow that you should be able to store bike boxes in.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

ChrisO

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2009, 02:38:01 pm »
I can confirm that they take bike boxes, having left one there myself not long ago when I missed a flight and had to come back the next day.

As for riding from Heathrow to the Lea Valley, it wouldn't be on my list of rides to do before I die. It's quite a way around the motorised outskirts of London.

That's motorized to you of course, just in case the meaning wasn't clear.  ;)

yello

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2009, 04:05:32 pm »
A Heathrow to Lea Valley is certainly do-able. Whether you'd call it "sane" or not I'm not going to say! Suffice to say that in places it might not be the most pleasant ride you've ever done!

I don't know how early "early" is but perhaps the most unpleasant bit will be getting away from Heathrow itself and, if you're early enough (i.e. 4am!), it mightn't be too bad!

I'd be inclined to head east to the centre of London (making it a bit of a sight-see too) before heading north for Lea Valley. If you have the time that is. I reckon a circular route via the suburbs might be a bit dull.

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2009, 04:49:57 pm »
I've cycled across london - coming in via Lea Valley and heading out to Croydon and Purley.  Not really my favourite cycling experience.

I would suggest getting the train to Paddington - see The UK Bike/Rail Page

From there either cycle to Kings Cross (3 milees) and get the train to Potters Bar (direct, 15 minutes) or cycle to Finsbury Park and get the train to Cuffley, which is a bit closer to the start.  You could do some sight seeing in between.  The trains from Kings Cross generally take bikes for free but not in a 2 hour period in the evening rush hour as the train is too crowded.

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2009, 05:38:40 pm »
Google (using it's Walking directions) reckons that it's 30 miles or so from Heathrow to Lee Valley, and only 35 if you go via central London, so if I was you, and had the time I'd go via the centre and at least cycle past a few of the classic tourist sites like Buckingham Palace, Westminster, the Tower of London, and Tower Bridge.

Hunting around I did find this page which has some information and comments about cycling in and out of Heathrow.

I'm sure there are people who can make suggestions about routes.  I'd offer to cycle out and meet you there, and take you through London, but I can't say I'm any particular expert in either of those directions.  I live slightly South of central London, which is not either of the legs you'll be needing to travel.

I'm in awe of anyone who'll travel across the Atlantic and then kill themselves for several days cycling more or less non-stop across the country!  Are you planning on taking any time to rest and get over jet lag, or are you just going to treat that as part of the experience? ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

jende

• Cap'n
« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »
Right.  It sounds as if riding from the airport may be less than pleasant and maybe even a wee bit dangerous for two jet lagged lads used to riding on the opposite side of the road.  It would also be quite expensive given the bike box storage rate of GBP 16/d.  The cost would be more than the value of the box.  Perhaps the taxi is the way to go.  Do you reckon that taxis that can accommodate two bike boxes are waiting around Heathrow quite happy to take two yanks to Lea Valley?  Would this trip need to be reserved in advance?

Thanks again.
Charles Bukowski

« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:11:08 pm »
You can actually ride from Heathrow to the Lea Valley almost all off-road. Follow the Grand Union Canal towpath from West Drayton (about a mile north of Heathrow), take the Paddington branch  (ie not the Brentford branch) from Hayes into Central London and Islington, then a short on-road section to the Lea Valley.

« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:17:54 pm »
London black taxis will in fact take a bicycle.
However two might be pushing it, and it will cost many $$$ to get to the Lea Valley.

Go on then - tell me which Friday it is, when you are arriving, and I will meet you off the flight.
I have a Vauxhall Zafira (read minivan) which will take the pair of you plus the bikes in the boxes.
I will store the boxes till the end of LEL and come get you.

« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:52:00 pm »
I guess it depends on how big your bike boxes are.  Black cabs are pretty spacious, I've been in the back with four other people.  I would think two people plus bikes semi collapsed in bike bags would fit easily, but your boxes may be bigger.

The fare to Lea Valley from Heathrow is likely to be significant, I've paid £50 in the past from South Kensington to Heathrow to get a flight, and depending on the time of day it could be more.  Lea Valley is at least 30 miles from Heathrow, so they don't have to take you, they're only obliged to take you up to 20 miles.  I would suspect you're talking upward of £70 for your fare.

Is left luggage really £16 per item per day at Heathrow?  That sounds a bit steep.
Actually, it is rocket science.

simonp

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:54:26 pm »
How big are the boxes?  Could you take them on the train & tube?  Train to Paddington, tube to Liverpool St (may need to change I've not checked the route) then train to Cheshunt.

That will be a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:56:09 pm »
Wow - chaps, accept ScumoftheRoad's offer - it's worth many $$$. I have met him once, on a Dunwich Dynamo ride (I think - I might have been pissed) and he didn't appear to be an axe murderer to me, so you should be safe  :thumbsup:. Safer than a London cabbie at 6am anyway.

jende

• Cap'n
« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2009, 05:36:31 am »
Go on then - tell me which Friday it is, when you are arriving, and I will meet you off the flight.
I have a Vauxhall Zafira (read minivan) which will take the pair of you plus the bikes in the boxes.
I will store the boxes till the end of LEL and come get you.

Friday 7/24 6:55am Heathrow AA Fl#174.  We probably wont be ready to go until 8am if our bikes make it.  I'll pay for gas, breakfast, lunch and a few pints.  I really appreciate the offer.  I hear that you are not an axe murderer so that is nice.

I have a tough time e-mailing UK addresses so we may have to communicate via this post.
Charles Bukowski

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2009, 10:00:09 am »
My friend and I are coming across the pond to ride with you stark raving lunatics.  We are very much looking forward to being lost for 5 days and nights.  I've enjoyed reading your posts.  They confirm that you all are quite quite mad.

Sorry can't answer your question but can I just point out that inthe UK cyclists are not mad rather they are considered to be eccentric which is quite different. Madness as in the Shining and similar is very much the territory of motorists especially those around London.

Eccentricity is contagious.  I'm a Yank in the UK who started cycling again a 3-4 years ago and I've been sucked in to this 'up and down the length of the country' lark.  :thumbsup:

I agree with others: take up the offer from SOTR.  Riding across London from Heathrow isn't that mad but at that hour, and just coming off a trans-Atlantic flight it would be asking for trouble.  The off-road canal route can be nice, but can be less than ideal with road bikes and a right PITA if you have luggage (there are a number of gates).

See you in Cheshunt.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: