Author Topic: July WARTY/Bikes & Boats Essex - Saturday 18th July  (Read 19079 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
July WARTY/Bikes & Boats Essex - Saturday 18th July
« on: 16 May, 2009, 09:10:19 am »
Hi folks,

Having enjoyed so much dragging the CycleChat and YACF folks up to my part of the world to sample the delights of the Station Café at Manningtree, I've for some time been plotting a ride taking in the delights of various rivers and the sea.

Rough route for the ride is here:
bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator

This would include visiting Mistley, Wrabness, Harwich (not the ferry port bit), Walton-on-the-Naze, Frinton, St Osyth, Brightlingsea, Wivenhoe and then returning to Colchester Station (although going from there back to Manningtree, if anyone comes by car, is only about 6 miles). Ride length is about 62 miles; if we wanted to shorten it I'd cut out the bit to Harwich as that's less picturesque than most of the rest.

I was thinking late June or mid-July. Does that appeal to anyone?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Bikes & Boats Tendring
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2009, 09:11:59 am »
A trip to the seaside!!  How spiffing!!    ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2009, 09:13:05 am »
A trip to the seaside!!  How spiffing!!    ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:
Be a nice change for you FB.

Edit: tempted.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2009, 12:55:47 pm »
18th July seems to be the favoured date on CycleChat. How does that suit you peeps?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2009, 01:12:13 pm »
It would suit me.

Is it too soon to find out whether or not the train-set is broken that day?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2009, 01:18:57 pm »
Is it too soon to find out whether or not the train-set is broken that day?
Well, according to their website: "There are no engineering works for National Express East Anglia on Saturday, 18 July 2009". So, for all you know, there might not be any engineering works :)

« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:13:39 pm »
We're tempted (and that date looks all right at the moment).

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:26:52 pm »
As you have organised a ride past my front door it would be churlish not to join in.

I presume you were reconoitering when i passed you yesterday at Harwich.(See forumite spotting).

How long i am out depends if i can get D1 orD2  to look after the old dog.

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:39:48 pm »
As you have organised a ride past my front door it would be churlish not to join in.

I presume you were reconoitering when i passed you yesterday at Harwich.(See forumite spotting).
Yep, that was indeed me, although reconnoitring for my trip to Holland on Sunday rather than the Bikes & Boats Tendring ride (which I think may go straight from Mistley/Bradfield Heath to Walton-on-the-Naze, missing out Harwich anyway, to reduce the overall distance).

Hope you can join us when the time comes as I'm not so familiar with the eastern part of Tendring.

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2009, 11:01:15 am »
Whilst you are away AH i will cycle in the, unusual for me, direction of Brightlingsea and have a look at Brightlingsea Harbour as the ferry from Point Clear might be of help to your unofficial tour de tendring.

Have a great holiday.Have you put your route up on any website?

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2009, 04:07:52 pm »
That route (Point Clear to Mersea) has also been suggested to me by PM and sounds good (assuming I can get my trike on the ferry). We used to have our boat at Brightlingsea and I remember a rather small boat which was a foot ferry... might struggle with my trike on that... but that might have been the water taxi.

Anyway, the route is only very hazy so far in my mind and I would love more suggestions/improvements - we have two months to refine it to an excellent route. If I have (as looks likely) a mix of CycleChatters and YACFers we could be 25ish people so would have to bear that in mind for any unusual modes of transport, like boats.

My German cycle holiday route doesn't exist at the moment, apart from me going by train from Hook of Holland to Köln and then setting off south. It will no doubt change considerably over time as with my average daily mileage I could probably do the entire route three times, so I may branch out on the Main river as well. Although I'd have to buy another book for that  ;)

I intend to do a thread with my progress on CycleChat and I'll probably stick it on here too somewhere, if people would like.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2009, 05:58:00 pm »
Bumping this thread.

The Young Mr Wowbagger and I have discussed/refined the route and it looks like it will be a bit shorter (perhaps nearer 40 miles than 60) and will probably miss out Harwich and Brightlingsea but instead including swimming in the sea at Frinton and rounders on the Village Green at Great Bentley (the largest village green in the UK at 43 acres).

This ride is planned for Saturday 18th July, starting at Manningtree Station (home of the famous Station Cafe, a brilliant place to get your hearty breakfast) at 11am (probably).

Probable tea-stop at the Naze Tower in Walton-on-the-Naze (once I've checked it out) and lunch somewhere en route, to be decided in due course.

All are welcome. This will be a joint CycleChat/YACF ride, although the dividing line between the two groups in terms of group rides is ever smudging.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Bikes & Boats Tendring - Saturday 18th July
« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2009, 10:11:39 pm »
Thanks to Helen's approval, this will count as the July WARTY. Helen came up with the idea of a Tendring-based ride, which was exactly what I had in mind for the WARTY anyway. My original plan was to include a nudist beach near Clacton, but on inspection it was totally unsuitable - a long, difficult walk across a rubble-strewn beach to another rubble-strewn beach. You'll have to make do with a cossie-clad swim in Frinton instead.

And you know what they say about Frinton: "Harwich for the Continent. Frinton for the incontinent."

We will need some rounders tackle. Mr. Fatters, Sir - I recall there were photographs of you preparing for a little clubbing with Nutty. You were to be equipped with the baseball bat IIRC. Will you be available to bring this essential piece of kit along on the day in question? And do you have any balls?
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 02 July, 2009, 06:44:09 pm »
Ooh! Tempted here too. And for some inexplicable reason the diary seems free. I shall check with Mrs. Hall as well.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2009, 07:00:43 pm »
......... including swimming in the sea at Frinton ......

Is that allowed?
I thought most fun things were outlawed / banned in Frinton. ;)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2009, 07:30:09 pm »
I expect if there are enough fit cyclists standing around no-one will dare stop us. Particularly if Aperitif is there with his calves!

« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2009, 07:31:39 pm »
I expect if there are enough fit cyclists standing around no-one will dare stop us. Particularly if Aperitif is there with his calves!
Goats would be better or geese, they're quite good a guarding things.  ;)

« Reply #17 on: 03 July, 2009, 12:18:34 am »
I really wanted to be there - but yet again the calendar conflicts :(

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #18 on: 03 July, 2009, 05:42:00 pm »
Right, here's where I think we are with attenders for the Cyclechat Ride/YACF WARTY. These people have all expressed an interest, do let me know if you're definitely coming!

Auntie Helen
Uncle James
ChrisKH
Lee1010
Ianrauk
Sig Silverprinter
Dellzeqq
Sittingduck
Topcat1
Aperitif
Rabbitfood
Chonker
Redjedi
Jurek
Delthebike
Wowbagger
Mrs Wow
Emily
Dasmoth
Moondog
Tim Hall

« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2009, 05:47:46 pm »
Yep, definitely!  :)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20 on: 04 July, 2009, 09:41:07 pm »
Yes, definite.

Pls to be adding Mrs. Hall too.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #21 on: 04 July, 2009, 10:13:47 pm »
tentative yes for me & mrs mike too, plz. 

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #22 on: 05 July, 2009, 09:32:49 am »
Can I come too please Auntie Helen?  :)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #23 on: 05 July, 2009, 10:24:38 am »
It's shapin' up for a good ride already, despite being just a week after Reggie's :)

So...

Definites
Auntie Helen
Ben Lovejoy
Ianrauk
Jurek
PippaG
Tim Hall
Mrs Hall
Uncle James
Wowbagger
Mrs Wow

Possibles
Aperitif
Chonker
ChrisKH
Dasmoth
Dellzeqq
Delthebike
Emily
Ianrauk
Katie/Her_Welshness
Mike
Mrs Mike
Moondog
Rabbitfood
Redjedi
Sig Silverprinter
Sittingduck
Topcat1

« Reply #24 on: 07 July, 2009, 09:17:12 am »
 :)there is a chance i could get to this ride but my ave speed is around 8mph so if you feel i would hold you up to much i could meet you at one of your stops
the slower you go the more you see