Author Topic: What degreaser?  (Read 2545 times)

cpjmathieson

What degreaser?
« on: 17 May, 2009, 09:26:10 pm »
I've recently purchased a Barberi Chain Cleaner and wondered what degreaser people recommended to use in the tool once the barberi degreaser has been used up.
Hopefully something cheap but effective is suggested!! 
cheers
Chris :thumbsup:

Re: What degreaser?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:30:11 pm »
I find citrus degreaser works better than regular stuff, smells nicer too. Used to use Finish Line but it's a bit pricey. Lasted fairly long right enough because you dilute it. I'm sure Halfords, B&Q etc will sell similar stuff for much less.

EDIT: In fact, here you go. Less than a tenner and 5 litres will last you a lifetime.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2009, 10:31:17 pm »
I spotted the Halfrauds stuff a while ago. Looks orange, smells like orange... a fraction of the price of Finish Line Citrus. Sounded good to me.

Except, it didn't work very well.

bikenerd

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2009, 10:58:56 am »
Cillit bang universal degreaser.  BANG!

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:06:30 am »
I keep a supply of virosol - it works fine but is quite aggressive.  I also have my parts washer filled with 10 litres of the stuff.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:03:14 pm »
White spirit is cheap and can be reused, and works very well in terms of cleaning, though you might not want it splashing everywhere.

The Barberi stuff is quite effective and safe.  £5.20 for 250ml from InMotionProducts.

However, I've gone off the idea of using cleaning devices or immersion as I fear it flushes as much grit into the chain as it gets out.  I just let the chains be now, except for wiping crud off the outside with a rag soaked with white spirit, then lubing.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:11:56 pm »
Paraffin.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:17:21 pm »
Gunk.

« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:19:32 pm »
Cillit bang universal degreaser.  BANG!

WON'T THAT MAKE YOUR CHAIN RUN REALLY LOUD?
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

FyPuNK

« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:26:31 pm »
I was given some Fenwicks FS1 from a rep I deal with, apparently he knows the company owner. Been using it diluted to clean the bike and neat to de-grease parts, been really impressed....
   Fenwicks FS1 Bike Cleaner 1 Litre Bottle Only £9.99

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2009, 02:23:19 pm »
However, I've gone off the idea of using cleaning devices or immersion as I fear it flushes as much grit into the chain as it gets out.  I just let the chains be now, except for wiping crud off the outside with a rag soaked with white spirit, then lubing.
In a perfect world, there would be a device that scrubbed the outside of yuor chain (including between the rollers) without immersing it in lube-removing fluids.

I wonder if the Chain Cleaner Devices would do this with just a minimum of fluid in them? The brushes do sort of fit between the links ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

cpjmathieson

« Reply #11 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:19:27 pm »
Thanks for everyones suggestions.... :thumbsup:

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2009, 11:30:33 am »
Don't overlook household degreasing products (probably much of the same contents, if not identical). I use the Halfords stuff (which does work for me- I tend to apply, have a cup of tea, go back half an hour later) but I also use  this Multi-Surface Cleaner -750ml | Astonish (half the price from a pound shop)- I brush the Halfords stuff on the chain, spray bottle for the cassette, jockey wheels, etc. Works very well. I never got on with my Park Tools machine. Used it once or twice, better in my clumsy hands at taking the chain off. Went back to it months later, same result..I'm sticking to the by hand method.

carboloader

« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2009, 10:25:29 pm »
I have a load of degreaser  - that I am giving away (or for a donation to charity) ..  like Muc-Off  - and perfect for cleaning chains.  (and general bike cleaning)

drop me a line if you still want some