Author Topic: LEL - Directions from Euston to Lea Valley  (Read 4826 times)

LEL - Directions from Euston to Lea Valley
« on: 02 June, 2009, 01:26:55 pm »
Hi Folks
 Just booked my rail journey for the event, I will be arriving @ Euston station just after mid-day on the Saturday. Just wondering if anyone who is local could advise on the best way to get to Lea Valley with the bike

Cheers
Roberto

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Directions from Euston to Lea Valley
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2009, 01:36:45 pm »
I'd follow the Grand Union canal from Angel because it's traffic free, tho on a sunny Saturday it could be busy with lots of people. My suggested route to get to the canal from Euston is pretty decent for London, too. Gmaps Pedometer
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2009, 01:43:16 pm »
One direct route (interesting introduction to London drivers):-

R out of station (heading South-East).
L onto Euston Road (NE)
SO onto Pentonville Road
L at Angel onto Upper St
R onto Islington Green / Essex Road
R at big crossroads onto Balls Pond Road
L at big crossroads onto A10 (Stoke Newington Road)
Straight on for miles and miles
After Severn Sisters and just after Bruce Grove railway station, SO on A1010 (the A10 bears left)
SO for more and more miles along the soul-less Hertford Road.
Bypass Waltham Cross on the not so nice bypass (R at roundabout before high street, 1st exit at big roundabout)
3rd exit (R) at next roundabout (B176 signposted Turnford)
SO mini roundabouts under railway by Theobalds Grove
SO (2nd Exit) at next major roundabout in Cheshunt but very shortly R (Signposted Cheshunt Station).
Weeeeeee down the little hill (that you'll be climbing up at the start of LEL)
YH is right near the station.

It's about 15 miles, note that I'm a fan of directish routes along busy roads rather than sulking off to the backstreets.

There's a path alongside the canal from somewhere in London, but I've never used it and don't know how to get on to it. Hopefully someone will document that option for you.

There's also a route along the A503 through Camden, Holloway and South Tottenham but I'm not familiar with those roads.

The laziest option, by far, is to walk the bike over to Euston Square tube station and get the circle line to Liverpool St station. From there you can get a train straight to Cheshunt. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2009, 02:03:04 pm »
go n on eversholt street and head for camden

at camden underground station fork r onto camden rd.

fork L onto parkhurst rd near holloway prison

SOX onto seven sisters rd

After SOX Hornsey Rd R onto BlackStock Rd

2nd right Brownswood Rd

SOX Green Lanes

SOX onto Lordship Park Rd, becomes Manor Rd

R at Stamford Hill T ( or it might look like a X I don't remmeber!)

L onto Northwold Rd

L at T onto Upper Clapton Rd

Second R onto Warwick Grove

Bear L then right onto Bakers Hill.  Just keep going downhill!

L at canal.  Stop for a pint of Fullers ESB at Hope and Anchor

Follow Canal Path for a long way ( in excess of 10km ) until Enfield Lock

South Ordnance Rd, then SOX Ordnance Rd

R at T onto A1010

After bridge over M25, 2nd exit at RBT onto high street

L at T to continue on high street

2nd exit at rbt, more high streeet

2nd exit at next rbt, then R onto Windmill Lane

This is more or less the route I took in 2005 except I was coming from Paddington

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2009, 02:07:55 pm »

There's a path alongside the canal from somewhere in London, but I've never used it and don't know how to get on to it. Hopefully someone will document that option for you.

Hopefully done

The laziest option, by far, is to walk the bike over to Euston Square tube station and get the circle line to Liverpool St station. From there you can get a train straight to Cheshunt. :)

This would be better than my route if the weather is a bit moist as the canal path can be grotty.  It's loverly (if a bit slow) in the sun though. 

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2009, 02:09:26 pm »
Cycle to Kings Cross (640 metres) and get the train from there to a nearby station.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2009, 02:32:03 pm »

Main problem with the canal would be circumventing the Islington Tunnel, which starts just east of the Caledonian Road.  It appears that the way to go is to follow Greenbank's road route at first, but go straight on at the Angle Islington and take the second left onto Colebrook Row, from where the towpath can be accessed.  Be advised that I'm not familiar with this bit, so don't know what the surface is like.

After passing Victoria Park on one's left, turn left onto the Hertford Union1 towpath - last time I was there, there was an anti-motorcycle barrier at the start - and follow this until you meet the Lee towpath, where you are obliged to go left.  Shortly afterwards the path leads up onto White Post Lane, where you need to cross the cut, descend back to the towpath and turn back north.  After this it's pretty much plain sailing, albeit a bit rough in parts, and with a few more barriers which are a PITA if you've got panniers.  By the time of LEL the scheduled stoppages on the towpath north of the A406 should be over and done with.

There's also a route along the A503 through Camden, Holloway and South Tottenham but I'm not familiar with those roads.

The one I used to use followed Vorsprung's route as far as Finsbury Park, but then stayed on the A503 until it links up with the A10 and Greenbank's route just after Seven Sisters station.  This was my commuting route for about three years and was generally OK.

1 - some of the bridge 'oles on the Hertford Union are at the bottom of steep, narrow and twisty little bits of towpath at the tail of the locks.  Take it easy to avoid shipwreck.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2009, 02:56:28 pm »
Cycle to Kings Cross (640 metres) and get the train from there to a nearby station.

Nearest station to Cheshunt that you can get to from Kings Cross is Cuffley, about 5 miles away from Cheshunt.

If I really was intending to minimise the cycling I'd probably take the 5 miles from Cuffley to Cheshunt than 3 miles cross London to Liverpool St. Those 5 miles outside London will be far more pleasant than 3 miles inside London.

If, by chance, your train calls at Finsbury Park then get off there.

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2009, 04:43:48 pm »
Glancing at the timetable there doesn't seem to be many trains from KX that go to Cuffley. It gives a change at Finsbury Park for lots of them. I am alighting at Cuffley from a southbound train from Stevenage, though if it's a nice day I may alight earlier and ride further.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2009, 05:01:10 pm »

Remind me - how many places for bikes on these trains?  How many overseas LEL starters?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2009, 05:06:01 pm »

Remind me - how many places for bikes on these trains?  How many overseas LEL starters?

On suburban services like that one will be; generally only limited by available space in the carriages if people are sensible. Most of the old rolling stock used on those lines don't even have dedicated spaces for bikes.

HSTs/Intercity trains usually have a limit of 6 though but an HST/Intercity train won't help as the first stop after KX will probably be further away from Cheshunt than KX is.

[EDIT]

I've seen 20 bikes in one carriage on the Liverpool St line to Elsenham (that calls at Cheshunt) on the way to one of the Henham/Ugley Audaxes, but that was at 7am in the morning on an otherwise deserted train (although plenty of fisherman seem to catch those early morning trains too). The guard was uninterested as the bikes were positioned not to block the isles or doors.

The trains to Cuffley from KX are the stopping services to Cambridge, they're unlikely to be busy with tourists visiting Cambridge (who'll opt for the direct service that takes half an hour less).

Do you know what time all of these overseas LEL riders are due to arrive in London? Are they all looking to take the train to Cheshunt or nearby at about the same time?

I'm probably going to get the train(/tube/train) to Cheshunt with my drop bags on the Saturday for the registration, but I'll do it without the bike.

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2009, 06:11:55 pm »

Remind me - how many places for bikes on these trains?  How many overseas LEL starters?

Bikes are carried on these trains subject to space, except during certain busy periods Monday - Friday.

First Capital Connect - On-board policy

If it was me, I'd get the train.

red marley

« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2009, 06:18:39 pm »
I'll probably be taking the Liverpool St train without bike on Saturday, largely because I'll be carrying two bag drop's worth of stuff.

I'll probably be taking the same train on Sunday with the bike, as that should help considerably in getting to Edinburgh and back within the time limit.

Weekend traffic on the route Greenbank suggests (which is the one I'd take if I cycle) is pretty busy during the day, and often worse than during the week. Nothing too dangerous, just not very pretty.

« Reply #13 on: 02 June, 2009, 09:49:22 pm »
Hi Roberto
The Lee navigation  canal is really quite pretty. If you pick it up from Lea Bridge Road it takes you pretty much straight to the YHA at Cheshunt.
On Saturdays it can become busy in places with fishermen, walkers etc. The surface is OK. I wouldn't want to ride on it with super slick racing tyres. I've had a few punctures on the towpath, especially when it's raining. But it's a nice, gentle ride without the hassle of traffic.
#makewattsnotwar

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2009, 07:45:56 am »
I've ridden up and down the Lee (Lea) Navigation towpath many a time on my MTB from Broxbourne right to the Thames and back. It really is a very nice route (mostly); even when in London you get a sense of being in the country in many places. However, riding along there on my road bike with little skinny slick tyres... hmm. Think I would take Greenbank's road route...

« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2009, 08:47:41 am »
Hi Guys
 Thanks for all the info, now I have a few options depending on the weather etc on the day..not sure if I would take the canal path, tyres are not that skinny but would not like to get the dreaded p-word before the event even started

Might opt for the train option on the way home :P

Cheers
Roberto

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2009, 09:14:19 am »
I've ridden up and down the Lee (Lea) Navigation towpath many a time on my MTB from Broxbourne right to the Thames and back. It really is a very nice route (mostly); even when in London you get a sense of being in the country in many places. However, riding along there on my road bike with little skinny slick tyres... hmm. Think I would take Greenbank's road route...

Like I say, I did it in 2005 on a touring bike with 28mm pasellas and never felt in danger of deflation
And normally I am a bit fussy about crappy towpaths

MSeries point about changing at Finsbury Park is interesting.  You could just ride to Finsbury Park and get the train from there

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17 on: 03 June, 2009, 01:38:49 pm »

Like I say, I did it in 2005 on a touring bike with 28mm pasellas and never felt in danger of deflation
And normally I am a bit fussy about crappy towpaths

I had three visitations in a day on 1.3" Vredestein S-Licks >:(

mikewigley

« Reply #18 on: 15 June, 2009, 09:26:12 pm »
I've just got hold of the London Cyling Guides, available from www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/cycling/cycle-guides-request.aspx.  I'm not sure how good they might be but they are FREE !!!

Sheets 2 4 and 7 will get you to Waltham Cross, just short of Cheshunt, from central London

Would any of the locals know: is Meridian Way (A1055) a pleasant cycling experience on a late Saturday morning, and how would it compare to Hertford Road (A1010)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2009, 11:06:36 am »
Would any of the locals know: is Meridian Way (A1055) a pleasant cycling experience on a late Saturday morning, and how would it compare to Hertford Road (A1010)

Meridian Way has a cyclepath on the east side, but I would imagine it's well down to the glass-and-crap standards of most.  The road itself is pretty busy on Saturdays, probably due to people trying to flee from Edmonton.  I would guess Hertford Road to be less fraught, but on the other hand it takes you through the middle of Edmonton, so you run the risk of being eaten.

« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2009, 12:09:20 pm »
I've done the A1010 plenty of times with no problems. It's pretty wide most of the way so there's not much car/bicycle contention.

red marley

« Reply #21 on: 18 July, 2009, 05:57:50 pm »
I've just ridden this route following Greenbank's instructions from Stoke Newington to the YHA and back to check on timings, especially in busy weekend traffic. The YHA at Cheshunt is looking lovely by the way.

Took me 45 minutes there and 50 minutes back. I was going at it some, so I will probably allow an hour for the ride to the start next week (riders from Euston would need to add another 25 minutes). There are lots of traffic lights and plenty of traffic during the weekend daytime. Should be about 10 minutes quicker in the early morning.

And I have to say that Greenbank's instructions were perfect. The only addition I would make is that on the return journey (from YHA to London), you get routed round a fast one-way gyratory by Tottenham Hale unless you go for the 'Bus only' contraflow.   

simonp

« Reply #22 on: 18 July, 2009, 06:18:37 pm »
I've just put in this route to the cycle route planner at cyclestreets.net; it reckons quickest route is to take the A503 and then it gets onto the A10.  Route his here:

London CycleStreets » Journey planner » Wellesley Place to Link with Windmill Lane

There is also a quiet route option given.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #23 on: 20 July, 2009, 12:05:59 pm »
And I have to say that Greenbank's instructions were perfect. The only addition I would make is that on the return journey (from YHA to London), you get routed round a fast one-way gyratory by Tottenham Hale unless you go for the 'Bus only' contraflow.   

There's a shared-use path around some of this, but on the whole it's a Menace 2 Society.  I used to commute that way all the time and used the bus lane along Broad Lane.

« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2009, 12:08:28 pm »
I know it's naughty but I've always used the bus only lane (it's specifically bus only, cycles aren't allowed to use it). I haven't had a problem with any bus drivers whilst using it.

Most of the time it's probably slower than going round the gyratory as the traffic lights at the end of the bus lane are not favourable at all.