Linked Events

• Foulness WARTY: 13 September, 2009

Author Topic: Foulness Bike Ride - WARTY opportunity - Sunday September 13th  (Read 11437 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Foulness Bike Ride is back. Foulness Bike Ride 2009 are organising it, to raise money for the "Bosom Pals" appeal, which wants to buy two new mammogram machines for Southend Hospital. There is a £10 entry fee.

The ride is about 23 miles, according to the blurb I received through the post this morning. If we started and finished at my house, which is about 8 miles from the official start, using the sea front route, that would enable us to pack in the 40 miles. We could extend this if necessary. The ride is almost completely flat.

To visit Foulness is to go back in time. The island has been a closed community for many years controlled by the military, with only the residents or their visitors allowed on. There has been no new house building. The only industry is farming (apart, of course, from atomic weapons research). Sadly, the pub and shop have closed, after the MoD quadrupled the rent overnight (I understand that the publican and shopkeeper were husband and wife). However, I'd stick my neck out and say that there is nowhere else in Britain quite like Foulness.

I'd recommend an 11 a.m. start at Wakering. This gives plenty of time to get to Southend Victoria (Prittlewell is my nearest station but is closed on Sundays) and cycle for 5 minutes to get to my house, and we'd need to set off from here about 10 a.m. to give us the chance to get there and register. I think a picnic lunch somewhere on the route would be favourite, followed by tea & cake chez us.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Foulness Bike Ride - WARTY opportunity - Sunday September 13th
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:35:37 am »
Interest registered.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:37:31 am »
Isn't the Cheam & Morden Hilly 50 on Saturday 12th?

This would be the perfect antidote.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:46:45 am »
Interest definitely registered from me too!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2009, 10:19:13 am »
Quite a possibility.

« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2009, 08:16:10 pm »
Wow, as a matter of interest have things changed recently?

The only info I am able to unearth about the Foulness Conservation and Archaeological Society suggests that the visitor centre is open to Joe Public only on the first Sunday of each month between April and October.

Or is the Foulness Bike Ride 2009 extracurricular to the norm, as it were?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2009, 08:17:23 pm »
The Foulness Bike Ride 2009 occurs on my birthday.  I could be interested.  :)

« Reply #7 on: 08 June, 2009, 08:41:06 pm »
This sounds like a cunning plan, definitely interested.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:03:20 pm »
Wow, as a matter of interest have things changed recently?

The only info I am able to unearth about the Foulness Conservation and Archaeological Society suggests that the visitor centre is open to Joe Public only on the first Sunday of each month between April and October.

Or is the Foulness Bike Ride 2009 extracurricular to the norm, as it were?

This ride is a Rotary Club one which is nothing to do with the "normal" open days.

Yesterday was one such and I forgot about it until I was out on my pootle. I'd been sitting minding my own business at Wakering Stairs, admiring Whitstable's wind turbines from the other side, when a guy in an old LR Discovery pulled up and ostentatiously started taking photos with his digital SLR (Canon) right under the "photography prohibited" sign. He then decided to engage me in conversation and boasted that he had been all over Foulness taking pictures all day, flagrantly disregarding the terms on which he was allowed onto the island.

I'm ambivalent about this. Whilst I agree with him that he should not need special permission to take photos of anywhere, I'm also aware that the bloody MoD is very sensitive to what's going on and is liable to pull the plug on any good stuff like open days and bike rides whenever they feel like it if they think people are flouting their regulations. I think it's either 3 or 4 years since the last Foulness bike ride and I suspect that indiscretions by riders constituted part of the reason for the long interval before this current effort.

« Reply #9 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:16:15 pm »
I totally understand the views you have expressed above, Wow.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #10 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:23:07 pm »
Interest registered here too, WB.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 08 June, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »
Please register my interest.  I once went to Foulness as a kid and would love to go back again.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #12 on: 09 June, 2009, 08:01:50 am »
I'm saying 'Interest registered' on here but I haven't actually registered on the Thorpe Bay Rotary website in your first post, Wow. Is that what you're expecting us to do? Or do you have some other cunning plan?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2009, 08:13:18 am »
According to the form, we need to submit our applications en-masse if we want to guarantee cycling at the same time.  This could be logistically "interesting".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2009, 09:07:12 am »
We need to register individually - and that's why I suggested the 11 a.m. start. If we all went for that and turned up together at about 1045, we could all start together. There's no pub or shop, although I suppose the old Foulness School might be open for refreshments, although I didn't see that mentioned on the blurb. That's the Visitors' Centre now, where the Open Days are based.

What I had in mind was that London based YACFers could catch the 8.15 from Lpoo St (arrives S. Vic 9.22), pootle round to my place (<1 mile), have a cup of tea and then set off at 10. We could go directly to Wakering (5 miles), but that's a bit dull. The sea front/Gunner's Park route is more interesting (8 miles). There are plenty of areas where we could just stop and have a picnic.

cpjmathieson

« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2009, 03:36:07 pm »
I'm interested......been wanting to ride round Foulness for some time  :thumbsup:

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #16 on: 11 June, 2009, 11:27:36 am »
I have done this ride many times and although you are given a specific start time I've never known anyone to be held to this time. I've just turned up to ride when I wanted to.  8)

Unfortunately I'll be in Antigua.   8) 8) 8) ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #17 on: 11 June, 2009, 11:46:15 am »
Unfortunately I'll be in Antigua.   8) 8) 8) ;D

That must've been a really difficult decision to make.
Foulness? or Antigua?  :D  Hmmmmmm....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2009, 11:48:23 am »
Now that's what I call island-hopping.

« Reply #19 on: 11 June, 2009, 01:53:21 pm »
Unfortunately I'll be in Antigua.   8) 8) 8) ;D
Is that the new tanning salon on Canvey Island?  ;D

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2009, 10:31:22 am »
Wow - you whetted my WARTY appetite over the weekend so I'm definitely interested in this ride too :)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #21 on: 23 June, 2009, 04:18:49 pm »
I have now had my entry confirmed, rider number 48 with start time 11:00am.

How are the rest of you getting on with registering?

« Reply #22 on: 23 June, 2009, 05:03:04 pm »
How are the rest of you getting on with registering?

Erm... I'd forgotten about it.  I must print things out, and get them in the post. :-[

« Reply #23 on: 19 July, 2009, 04:41:58 pm »
Is it possible to park a car at either Rail station on a Sunday?

Not sure i can mentally handle the number of train changes involved between Harwich and Southend.

Prolly Harwich/Manningtree/Colchester/Shenfield/Southend.

That will see me knackered before we start riding ;)

Ta.

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #24 on: 19 July, 2009, 04:58:47 pm »
Moondog, if you're willing to trust your bike to a rack on the back of my car, you can grab a lift with me. I'll presumably be driving to Wowbagger's and starting off from there. My trike fills up the back of the car so yours would have to hang off the boot on our bike rack, but you are welcome to come with me if you can make your way to my house first!