Author Topic: What tyres for LEL?  (Read 10191 times)

Andy T

What tyres for LEL?
« on: 01 July, 2009, 01:24:00 pm »
Dare I ask for recommendations on the best tyres for a 1400k excursion?
(Or in doing so, am I simply exposing my ignorance?!)  :-[

Many thanks,
Andy T from Macclesfield

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: What tyres for LEL?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2009, 01:33:38 pm »
Dare I ask for recommendations on the best tyres for a 1400k excursion?
(Or in doing so, am I simply exposing my ignorance?!)  :-[

Many thanks,
Andy T from Macclesfield

Am torn between refitting the Panarager Stradius Elite TG or sticking with the Conti GP 4seasons.

I found the Panaracers are faster and reasonably puncture resistant on all but the grottiest of lanes but are prone to terminal sidewall damage.

The Conti GP 4 Seasons are more robust and coped with a recent 400 through lanes strewn with flint and stones without a hitch so these would be a safe bet.

In the belief that all but one notable section of the ride is on reasonably good road surfaces, I  might re-fit the Panaracers but put one GP4's into the drop bag and carry another (folded) with me.

H

« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2009, 01:35:01 pm »
700Cx25 Continental Ultra gatorskins - my choice

« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2009, 01:42:59 pm »
You'll get many answers. Last time I used Panaracer Pasella 28mm and had no punctures, this time I shall be using Schwalbe Stelvio 25mm. Not a recommendation, tyres are much of a muchness and a lot depends on your preference anyway. Any new tyre should cope well enough. What have you used so far this year ? Did you like them ? LEL is just a five day ride, in terms of bike equipment it's nowt special.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2009, 02:25:02 pm »
Last LEL I used Panaracer Pasella TG (the kevlar bead version) in 28mm
Other long distance favourites with me are Michellin Pro Race 25mm and Conti All Seasons 28mm

I think there are various pros and cons for types of tyres on this sort of event and I'm sure if you are reading this you already have a favourite.

What I would strongly suggest is fitting a new set of tyres shortly before the event, so when you begin they only have 100 miles or so on them.  New tyres are less likely to puncture.  Do a short distance on them first to get ride of moulding "lubricants" which are on most new tyres

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2009, 02:44:01 pm »
Cycling Plus did a winter training tyre comparisson a few months back and you can see the findings on BikeRadar via

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/road/product/ultra-gatorskin-10669

then to see the other tyres tested look at the Related Articles box on the right hand side of the screen.

I've been using the tyres and width suggested by Humpdoc i.e 700Cx25 Continental Ultra Gatorskins and found them to be really tough until they started to wear down when I then had three flats in two rides. I've now replaced them with another set.

They certainly seem to roll well which if the LEL roads are mainly ok will be a useful.

As to width, 25s seem to be a good balance of speed and comfort.

« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2009, 04:37:58 pm »
I've done all my Audaxing (including London to Edinburgh one way in 3 days) on 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons. Very happy with them, and that'll be what I'm using for LEL itself.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2009, 06:21:15 pm »
I'm also going to be riding Conti 4 Seasons, in the 28mm variant. Nothing special for LEL, these are what I've settled on as my usual Audax tyres this year.

My back tyre was only changed a couple of hundred miles ago so will stay on. The front (which is due to be retired soon anyway) will be replaced with new then have probably a hundred or so miles put on it. I'll then carry a spare with me, and probably put one in a drop bag if I get around to ordering some more.

As MSeries says, it's only a five day bike ride.

« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2009, 06:39:11 pm »
You'll get many answers. Last time I used Panaracer Pasella 28mm and had no punctures, this time I shall be using Schwalbe Stelvio 25mm.

I used Panaracer Pasela 28mm last time and Schwalbe Stelvio 25mm back, 28mm front during PBP. With both I have good experiences. Since I still have a pair of Stelvio's I plan to mount them tonight and break them in at a 24hour event this weekend.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2009, 09:50:22 pm »
Conti GP4000 in the 25mm size are my favoured tyres for all audaxes. You can get the 25mm with reflective side strips, useful for night cycling. Whatever tyre you choose, put new ones on for LEL. Most tyres are usually pretty p***ture proof for the first couple of thousand km.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #10 on: 02 July, 2009, 12:46:49 pm »
Gosh, all this discussion has now got me worried. I've just realised that I'm still using the same pair of tyres that I fitted when I bought my current audax bike five years ago. I can't even remember what they are, apart from 28x700. Over that time, and about 12,000km, I've had precisely five p--c----s, all in the back wheel (and three of them on the same event, the 2006 Etape Du Tour).  I hadn't planned to change the tyres but no I'm worried that I'm being too complacent. And if I change them, what should I fit instead?

Oh decisions, decisions!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2009, 01:17:42 pm »
Gosh, all this discussion has now got me worried. I've just realised that I'm still using the same pair of tyres that I fitted when I bought my current audax bike five years ago. I can't even remember what they are, apart from 28x700. Over that time, and about 12,000km, I've had precisely five p--c----s, all in the back wheel (and three of them on the same event, the 2006 Etape Du Tour).  I hadn't planned to change the tyres but no I'm worried that I'm being too complacent. And if I change them, what should I fit instead?

Oh decisions, decisions!

What you've got now, by the sound of it.

H

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2009, 01:47:24 pm »

Oh decisions, decisions!

What you've got now, by the sound of it.

If you want to be a micro smidge less complacent then rotate the front and back
Alternatively the continental 4 seasons 28mm tyres are available widely and are pretty good.  Or any of the other tyres recommended above

« Reply #13 on: 02 July, 2009, 01:49:43 pm »
It's time for new tyres, 12000km and five years is good value. I would have replaced after three punctures in one ride.

« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2009, 01:53:38 pm »
Wot Martin said.

If I get more than one puncture a week, I think of replacing the tyres, after first checking for embedded debris. I find about 4-5000 miles is the limit, then tread wears a bit thin and the pf comes a visiting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2009, 04:17:38 pm »
I would have replaced after three punctures in one ride.
[/quote

In normal circumstances I would have too. But the second and third were entirely my own fault. As I was on the Etape and had a very late start slot I was under pressure to avoid being lapped by the sag wagon (I was near the top of the Col de Lauteret at the time with Alpe d'Huez still to climb) so I hurried the first change and failed to remove the little thorn that had embedded itself in the tyre (doh!). So, a few hundred metres further up I found myself hurrying a second change, getting the thorn out but then stuffing in the tube so...just at the summit I got a snakebite. At which point an officious official removed my rider number and ankle tag and that was my 'official' ride over. But I climbed the Alpe anyway and still would have finished in time if they had let me carry on. (Etape timing seems to assume that you climb and descend at the same speed so it's easy to be passed by the sag wagon the way up but pass it on the way down)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

iakobski

« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2009, 04:49:16 pm »
If you want to be a micro smidge less complacent then rotate the front and back

Putting the front on the back is a good plan, but using a back tyre on the front is not a good idea.

I've inadvertantly put a tyre on the front which had only about 1500 km on the back, you can barely notice the tell-tale flattenning down the middle, but the handling is all over the place.

« Reply #17 on: 07 July, 2009, 09:01:16 pm »
I'm pretty new to this long distance stuff and for the last 6 months i've trained solely on conti's gators 700c23 (albeit just about to fit the third set) and been happy..... Now i'm happy because i've nothing really to compare it with and as your all generally pushing the 28mm tyres am i really missing something obvious ???

« Reply #18 on: 07 July, 2009, 09:46:49 pm »
I'm pretty new to this long distance stuff and for the last 6 months i've trained solely on conti's gators 700c23 (albeit just about to fit the third set) and been happy..... Now i'm happy because i've nothing really to compare it with and as your all generally pushing the 28mm tyres am i really missing something obvious ???
No. I ride with people who use only 23s and will do so for LEL. If you are happy with them then that is all that matters. What is more worrying is that you have trained. Thinking about using a 23 on the front myself actually, found a very nice Michelin Axial Comp in the garage, used,  been using it for commuting for the last week.

Really Ancien

« Reply #19 on: 07 July, 2009, 09:52:26 pm »
Is anyone riding tubs? I outlined my 'snakebite' fears to Gethin Butler and that's what he suggested. Surprisingly good value, http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=VITTTUBA460 and the wheels have more 'give'.

Damon.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #20 on: 07 July, 2009, 10:16:51 pm »
Is this what tyres or what tires! The whole ride if it's the latter  :demon:
Not just a cyclist's wife!

« Reply #21 on: 07 July, 2009, 10:17:37 pm »
I've been using Michelin Pro3 Race 23's for the past couple of years without incident so will be on a new pair of these for LEL
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #22 on: 07 July, 2009, 11:13:37 pm »
I've been "training" with a 26mm front and 25mm rear. I'll be moving to a 25mm front for a more aerodynamic position (1mm lower) for LEL itself. <joke>
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #23 on: 08 July, 2009, 12:13:10 am »
Continental GP 4 Seasons 700x25C.

« Reply #24 on: 08 July, 2009, 07:28:50 am »

What is more worrying is that you have trained.

certainly not as much as i would have liked, but there you go, to late to worry about it now...

settled then, i'll stick with the "tyred" and tested 23's, cheers.

(sorry about the pun)