Author Topic: XT M770 durability question  (Read 7775 times)

Clare

• Is in NZ
XT M770 durability question
« on: 01 July, 2009, 02:55:18 pm »
Okay, so there I was on Vern's Surly, hooning doing the hill between Steep and Petersfield (there's a clue in one of those names) when I heard a loud metallic clunk from not sure where, but it caused the bars to shake. The bike was still running OK so I came to a halt and checked everything I could think of: frame, forks, wheels, spokes, bars, brakes, glare at the chainset, shake the rack, remove the pannier, shake the rack again. Y'know, all the usual "will I die if I continue?" checks, found nothing, so I continued on to Tim's place for dinner and drink. Riding back to the station afterwards the bike was making such a racket that we even disturbed the rauccous drunks in the market square.

On Sunday we did a more considered study and discovered that the major comedy noises were from the rear hub and the front rim. The rim appears to have something small and annoying (probably a spoke nipple or some such) in it which we can't get out, it'll just have to stay. The hub on the other hand contained a number of half bearings, a split cone and a stripped thread on the axle - what a mess!

we've only had the Surly since Dec '07, that's a year and a half, during which time we haven't done that much cycling probably about 5k miles if that; by comparison the M760 on my Hewitt has been there since June '05 and has gone a lot further and on much more questionable roads without ever being serviced.

That seems a very short life for a hub, particularly one which was recommended for heavy useage, what does the jury think?

Re: XT M770 durability question
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2009, 03:02:07 pm »
Take it back to the shop.

I have a couple of wheels with XT hubs, they last seemingly forever. At least 20k miles on mine and still running smoothly. That includes doing such daft things as riding through 3ft deep water and not regreasing the bearings afterwards (500miles later I checked and the grease was still there).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2009, 03:29:42 pm »
Take it back to the shop.

Yes.  Don't forget the default guarantee for nearly everything is 2 years now. A premium hub which XT is should not fail in normal two year use.  (Teethgrinder normal excepted)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2009, 07:37:16 pm »
I trashed an XT hub through water ingress.  I wouldn't bother paying that much for one again - just Deore from now on.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2009, 07:46:08 pm »
The default guarantee for anything of 'quality' is up to 6 years courtesy of the Sale of Goods Act.   An XT hub should be expected to last longer than 2 years / 5k miles.   Have  friendly chat with your supplier.

I have XT hubs more than ten years old and still in perfect working order.  Just unlucky I guess.

A quick tally reveals that we have 8 XT hubs over five machines in perfect working order fitted between 3 and 11 years ago.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2009, 04:08:45 pm »
Update:

We've been in contact with the LBS concerned, they have had a number of M770s with reliability problems and are no longer fitting them to any wheels they build, prefering the older models which don't implode quite so often.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »
It sounds as if the cone has tightened itself against the bearings, wrecking them and the axle threads in the process.  Which side was it - the left?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2009, 04:26:03 pm »
I think it was the freewheel side (right), but we've just spent the day stripping and regreasing a load of other wheels, so might be thinking of a different wheel.

We didn't ask BC what the other bust hubs had suffered from, but they didn't seem surprised by my description of our problems.

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2009, 04:47:08 pm »
For heavy duty use I am rapidly becoming convinced that cassette hubs and labyrinthe seal hubs are indeed a load of dogs eggs, a genetic cul-de-sac in bike evolution.

The most simple and probably servicable set up I have seen is a plain screw on freewheel hub with simple cartridge bearings in it, it was fitted to Rudge Bi-Fold MTB. I think bike manufacturers realised this and abandoned the idea as apart from maybe a flange breaking you had a hub both front or rear that would pretty much run for ever if you put new bearings in every now and then or replaced the block - cartridge bearings being very very cheap indeed. A good way of putting yourself out of business is to make something that is very cheap and repairable, hence planned obsolescence and a deliberate lack of backwards compatability.

« Reply #9 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »
Recently, I've had an XT freehub fail (2500 miles) and a Deore rear bearing cone need replacing (1500 miles). Anyway, I just wanted to point out that XT has a two year manufacturers warranty.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2009, 11:29:07 pm »
The freehub on a XT M770 hub that I bought in April just seized on me.  One day it was freewheeling the next day it wasn't.  I reckon its got under 800 miles on it.  I bought it from Parkers, so I've emailed them to see about getting a replacement.  I hope they can provide a replacement freehub body, to save me having to rebuild the wheel.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2009, 11:34:43 pm »
I called up JD Cycles to ask to buy an XT hub for the tourer I was building recently.  John said that they don't spec XT hubs any more for touring bikes as they've had so many issues with the newer ones.  He said I should buy Deore as they're more reliable.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2009, 09:20:06 am »
I'm almost feeling paranoid enough to check my hubs now.    :o

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2009, 02:22:35 pm »
The freehub on a XT M770 hub that I bought in April just seized on me.  One day it was freewheeling the next day it wasn't.  I reckon its got under 800 miles on it.  I bought it from Parkers, so I've emailed them to see about getting a replacement.  I hope they can provide a replacement freehub body, to save me having to rebuild the wheel.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I received a very prompt response from Parkers:

"Mileage is not really relevant, it is how well the hub has been looked after during the period of use, however please feel free to return the complete hubset to us so that we can pass it on to our supplier for warranty consideration."

Bit of a strange response considering that they know it's a 3 1/2 month old hub.  Should you expect more that 3 1/2 months use out of a premium level mountain bike hub?  Even if I had been using it for full on mountian biking, I'd expect it to last longer than 15 weeks!  They also said that I'd have to provide them with proof of purchase even though I was able to give them the order number, which I got off of their website.  They also say that the whole hub needs to be returned, not just the freehub body, meaning that I'd have to take appart the wheel and rebuild it when(if) a replacement is provided.  The tone of the email from them isn't exactly encouraging.  If I were more cynical I'd think that they were trying to put me off. 

« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2009, 03:07:33 pm »
Please don't do it.

You have a contract with them, the supplier.  You have at least 12 months warranty, upto six years via EU regulations.   Whether folk think it 'reasonable' or otherwise, your legal rights are that Parkers must repair or replace.   Passing on to suppliers is outside of legislative requirements. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2009, 03:10:14 pm »
Does the hub supplier have any obligation to rebuild Kev's wheel for him?

(If not, this would discourage me from buying wheels piecemeal. Groupsets are sold with separate hubs, aren't they? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 18 August, 2009, 03:10:27 pm »

« Reply #17 on: 18 August, 2009, 03:13:23 pm »
Does the hub supplier have any obligation to rebuild Kev's wheel for him?

(If not, this would discourage me from buying wheels piecemeal. Groupsets are sold with separate hubs, aren't they? )

Only maybe.   It depends upon what they supplied.   If it came as part of a wheel then the wheel needs repair or replacement.   If it was simply a hub supplied then they may only be responsible for the hub.   You can try for the cost of a rebuild etc. but may not be successful. 

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 18 August, 2009, 03:20:46 pm »
I would simply send the freehub body to the suppliers straight away by Recorded Delivery with a letter politely demanding repair/replacement/refund.

Asking permission in advance is not necessary.  Don't give them the opportunity to say no!

Parker International have replaced/refunded returned items for me with no questions asked, although the last one was a few years ago.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #19 on: 18 August, 2009, 04:14:46 pm »
Personally I'd remove the freehub and send it with a copy of your receipt in the post with a cover letter requesting replacement under your normal statutory rights.   

« Reply #20 on: 21 June, 2011, 07:39:11 pm »
I had an XTM770 rear hub FAIL today.  Within the space of 200 yards a sweet running hub started creaking and then semi-seized.  It would still turn, but only just.  I was on the way to Mal Volio's place to go for a ride and he very kindly came to the recue, which ended up with a pub lunch , but that's another story!  ;D

Back in the BWNCWR, I stripped it down and found the cause to be the freehub body coming loose from the axle.  Given that the drive side bearing cup is in the freehub, this caused everything to bind up.  The NDS bearings were llike new and swimming in clean grease, the drive side were in thin watery oil.  No visible harm done though so I've fettled it all back together and I'll strip it down again prior to PBP to check.  Any hint of misbehaviour will result in a Chris King-related credit card accident.

It had done about 6000 Km AAMOI.

« Reply #21 on: 21 June, 2011, 08:54:01 pm »
Isn't the problem that XT is now more about performance than longevity? i.e. the current stuff is lighter but less hardy. Probably not the best idea for installing on a long distance tourer or audax bike.

« Reply #22 on: 21 June, 2011, 09:00:48 pm »
Isn't the problem that XT is now more about performance than longevity? i.e. the current stuff is lighter but less hardy. Probably not the best idea for installing on a long distance tourer or audax bike.

Very possibly.  If I were going round the world I'd probably ft Deore.  I might on my audax bike but Chris King or Hope are more likely.

« Reply #23 on: 21 June, 2011, 09:06:32 pm »
Ahh well, yes, if you can throw good money at it then these things become less of a concern.

But my guess is someone with Hope or Chris King money wouldn't be looking at XT anyway. I get the impression that a lot of XT components are sold on the "oh it's only a few quid more for the next model up, plus it will last longer" mentality. I bet a lot of XT customers would have been Deore customers right up until the last second before clicking 'buy now'.

« Reply #24 on: 21 June, 2011, 09:20:27 pm »
XT used to be about endurance.  Not so convinced now. Glad all ours are older versions.