Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010  (Read 160348 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010
« Reply #725 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:01:41 pm »
Team not quite so Slow were Pippa, Jane, Andrij and a brace of Pippa's friends.
Rog and Mike, your bikes were spotted on the back of a car as we passed through Yoxford.
This was my fourth Dynamo in as many years  - and almost certainly the most enjoyable.

Yes,we saw you raiding the shop in Yoxford when we were on the way back - about 7am.

Proper ride report later; suffice to say that we stormed the first half (and was it geraldc who had chalked "allez allez" on Church Hill?) and then faded over the second half, partly because we had no incentive to hurry, knowing Annie would be catering on the beach  :thumbsup:

Far more bikes on the road, far more early starters than usual.  However we saw absolutely no other bikes between Framlingham and the "Dunwich 7" sign after Peasenhall.  I don't think other people were actually following the defined route.

Biggest bonus apart from Annie: a house somewhere near Brandeston Gosbeck?  I've forgotten already - that was serving hot bacon rolls, tea and coffee for the local air ambulance.  Big floodlight outside and cyclists like moths to a flame.  *Everyone* was stopping while we were there.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #726 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:36:40 pm »
I've snoozed, watched the final stage of the tour (   :o  ) and done some weeding so I cant be accused of wasting the day...

I got the train down from Cambridge at about 5 and met a bloke called Ashley who was nervously heading down for his first dun run on his new road bike with new clipless pedals and never having ridden for more than 40 miles. He seemed to arrive at every stop about 1/2 hour before us, so I guess he had a good ride!

After catching up with everyone, a quick beer and a slice of wonderful coffee cake at London Fields, me & rog left at 8 (8.02 apparently  ::-))  We thrashed up through london, with Rog being much quicker than me away from all the lights and on a mission to get to the food stop before the queues got too long.  We overtook an awful lot of people who must have left well before 7, and were overtaken by a few, mainly in Dulwich tops (I think they came past us 4 or 5 times during the ride - testament to Rogers GPS-fu)

We paused for a wee in what was, apparently 'the best pee stop in the south east' and pushed on to the food hall, got there just as the queues were starting up having averaged about 16.   A plenty of sandwiches and a bottle refill then we were off.

The second half started badly for me, i took a long time to get going and struggled a bit, but Rog towed me along and I perked up after the impromptu coffee stop.  After a quick pause and stretch at the bus shelter in Framlingham we didnt see a soul till the Dunwich 7 sign, then all calm till a git on a brompton came past me in the last mile - I wasnt going to lose the 'small wheel challenge' in the last mile and gave chase - he saw me come past and picked up the speed a bit till we were racing at about 25 till he let me win :)   We got to the carpark at about 5, had a coffee and a bacon roll 2 bacon rolls from the angelic annie then Rogers father in law gave me a lift back to cambridge, then it was 10 minutes on the bike back to the car (plus a 2 minute stretch when I got cramp) and a drive home!

See you next year!

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #727 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:37:51 pm »
What a thoroughly splendid day at the beach... I grew up next to a beach and never imagined it could be filled so quickly with so many hungry people, arriving on all sorts of cycles/contraptions and so many amazing outfits and reasons for riding.

I was fortunate enough to have about an hour or so of sleep before receiving a message from Rich, asking if I was at the beach.  The message arrived at 01.43, about 2 minutes before my alarm call.  Within 15 minutes I had popped the rest of the house into the back of my car, cleaned my teeth, avoided breaking any ribs and was on my way.  En-route I had to call the Boys and Girls in Blue to a young man, sat on the top of the Orwell Bridge; not normal behaviour for that time of the morning, with no sight of a car or other means of transport, I was quite concerned.  They had a car on the way to the young man within a minute although when they called to ask me for a description, I couldn't give much more than, 'young man, sat on edge of bridge'.  I do hope that he was ok.

Shortly before Dunwich I came across Bambi and probably her Grandmama, wandering across my path, I didn't call anyone about these two but waited patiently for them to go on their way.

I found two bodies in the Flora Cafe at Dunwich, both alive and able to converse; Rich and Toontra.  Rich, having just completed 300k of a 500k audax and Toontra, first time I had met Toontra and a pleasure.

Much of the rest of the day involved popping the kettles on, filling the urn thingy, cooking sausage, bacon, beans and other stuff that I can't quite remember at the moment and probably have no desire to remember tomorrow or next week.

Roger and Mike arrived around 5am.  Roger got his sausage and all was well.  Both guys looking as fit as ever.

Then peeps just arrived in dribs and drabs, one guy  had come over from Helsinki and I am unable to remember his name but it was a pleasure to meet him.

Blankets, chairs, sleeping bags and bodies were to be found loitering around my faithful automobile.  Great to see everyone again, an amazing effort and achievement.  Congratulations to Mrs Oaky who had if I remember rightly, never ridden over 50 miles and certainly not in the night, also to CrinklyLion of Team Cake and Cuddles, Feline who looked far too clean.  I apologise for suggesting we drag you around the car park to make you dirty.  Some had no problem getting dirty, mentioning no names, Jane.  I am certain that her eggs multiplied in their box as there appeared to be an endless supply of eggs.

I had to leave a little earlier then planned and so can't say much more about the happenings but well done to everyone and apologies if I haven't mentioned you here but I am an ickle bit tired and still emptying the car.  I have a few photographs, I'll post them tomorrow.  If I remember anything else I will post later.

Oh yes, I think I saw Bishop Kahn through Needham Market, sorry I didn't pull over.

x

« Reply #728 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:51:10 pm »
just remembered - did anyone else see a bloke with a big dog in his cargobike?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #729 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:52:05 pm »
yup at the start.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

pixieannie

« Reply #730 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:54:18 pm »
yup at the start.

We saw them arrive.  An amazing sight.  The dog looked as fresh as a daisy.

Martin

« Reply #731 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:59:29 pm »
.  However we saw absolutely no other bikes between Framlingham and the "Dunwich 7" sign after Peasenhall.  I don't think other people were actually following the defined route.

ditto; everyone was congregating at that stone thingie after Framlingham when I stuck to my guns and only 2 others followed me, out of loyalty I suppose. I just got a gpx from Werner who was selling route sheets at the start and he used the same route as I so it must be the official one. He also rode back to Ipswich which was apparently pretty hard and into a headwind

quite a few were coming via Leiston when I rode down there

saw something that big (cargo carrier in the front) lit up blue en route parked but no dog.

big showing from Horsham but otherwise no big clubs / groups other than 2/3 of yacf

rogerzilla

« Reply #732 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:06:13 pm »
We saw a porky bloke on a Brompton wearing a Brooks jersey several times on the way out of London, but he wasn't at the finish.  Other odd sights besides the dog on the cargo bike: Dulwich Paragon with white and blue fairy lights on the riders (helmet and cascading down their backs), a LFGSS support van at Sudbury (cheating!), one trike, and a pleasantly refreshed local on a BMX who gave us a good run for our money in Dunmow.  I reckon he can outspin Fixedwheelnut.

Generally there were far more young riders and nearly everyone in the first 100-200 was on a road racing bike.  We looked a bit out of place as early middle-agers on a Moulton and a tourer.

Did anyone else see the smashed glass bottle between Moreton and Fyfield?  I did, just as I rode straight through it, but Marathon Racers laughed it off.  I suspect that caused a few fairy visits over the night.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #733 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:14:54 pm »
The guy on the Brompton/Brooks tshirt did finish - we played leapfrog for about  50 miles but my party arrived about 20 minutes ahead of him. He was pedalling with his instep towards the end, not sure due to pain or that was his style,

The dog in the cargo box was quite something.

As were the couple on the tandem, passed us in Epping playing music and looking very cool and laid back, but got more and more bedraggled as the ride progressed.

When does the pain go away?
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #734 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:21:17 pm »
We saw a porky bloke on a Brompton wearing a Brooks jersey several times on the way out of London, but he wasn't at the finish.

He was at the finish when we arrived, talking to another Bromptoneer.

rogerzilla

« Reply #735 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:23:23 pm »
Cool.  He looked the part, although seeing him made me really glad I hadn't taken the B.

pixieannie

« Reply #736 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:26:00 pm »
I must say a special thanks to Mat and Stu at Lifecycle UK in Bildeston for dropping everything to help with the Weasel's rear wheel.  I did bribe them by leaving a cake and the promise of a return visit very soon.  I owe the til £1.50, sorry Rob.  Also sorry we missed you at the beach.  I think I arrived at your shop as you arrived at the beach.  

The Weasels had a major rear wheel failure, 11 broken spokes in total.  Even with the use of a vice and two very capable and strong, young men.....that free wheel wasn't going anywhere.  Sadly we were unable to rebuild the wheel and without a suitable alternative, it was returned to Dunwich minus the 11 spokes.  I am sorry I couldn't drive it back in person but I would have been a danger to other road users due to a massive attack of sleep munchies.

Hope you all have fun at the campsite.  

I'll post some pics shortly.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #737 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:30:22 pm »
I, and a significant quanity of cake, made it to the beach.  15 cakes left York with me, and I managed to distrubute all bar 5 of them by the time I hit the sea :)

Grand to have company across from Liverpool St to Hackney, and once there to see so many familiar and new forum faces.

I have confirmed that attempting the dun run as your first century+ ride, first attempt at tandeming (if you discount 10 minutes round the block to see if I could reach the pedals a few weeks back) and first clipless ride is utterly insane, but rather good fun.  It was distinctly warm, so I ended up stashing my t-shirt in the panniers at an early stop (when other were donning arm warmers and extra layers) and completing the entire ride wearing my vest!  The feed stop, which we had a slight detour to find since we went straight past it, was very quiet when we got there so I managed to buy something other than cake to eat, which was probably a good thing.

Annie's preparations were awesome!  We were among the last of Team Slow to actually arrive, at around 11, and found an endearing heap of snoozing YACFers bundled up in sleeping bags and blankies, with sprinkling of forumites still looking bright eyed and bushy tailed and consuming an apparently inexhaustible supply of delicious food.

A most pleasant swim the sea, followed by drying off and clean clothes, meant I was ready for the train journey home so Wowbagger and I hopped back on the tandem and rode to Darsham where seatpost, saddle and stoker swapping ensued as I jumped on the train home just as Mrs Wow's train was due to arrive so that they could head off on further adventures.  A mile or two out of Dunwich the sun came out properly, and I regret not having applied sun cream - pink and ouchy.

Hope that the rest of team slow have a good evening.  I'm off to eat a chinese takeaway now :)

And Adrian, I really did save a cake for you this time.  Have to try again on another ride.

« Reply #738 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:38:08 pm »

And Adrian, I really did save a cake for you this time.  Have to try again on another ride.

Damn, now I regret my no show.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #739 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:49:15 pm »

As did we at the pub in Moreton. Along with everyone else when I squealed "oh look he's got a doggy on his bike".

That was my first Dun Run and thoroughly enjoyable it was too. A lovely route and nice to do a night ride with so many others but yet at the same time on our own – a very different beast to a FNRttC. Despite the large numbers, we were often, in Team Not So Slow, all on our own for long periods. Chapeau to Inge and Domingo, both work colleagues, who joined me on this, Domingo having bought his bike 2 weeks ago only and done 20km on it so far and Inge who only bought her bike a couple of months ago. They arrived at Dunwich and felt good enough to cycle to Diss.

It was fantastic in the last 30 or so miles to see cyclist lounging around on every grass verge – it felt like cyclists ruled the world.

Did anyone else spot the chap running along the road somewhere before Needham market in barefeet? In the middle of nowhere?

And the lady standing at the side of the road not far after the pub in Moreton making some kind of very quiet protest, I suspect about cycling – all I heard was “shouldn’t be allowed, clear off”.

Many many thanks to Annie for her superb spread at Dunwich – it was lovely to meet you  :-*

And to Team Not So Slow for the company. Fantastic night. 

« Reply #740 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »
Wow what a ride  ;D
Just arrived home after a 7 hour drive home from Dunwich (there were 2 accidents on the M25, by the time I got passed all that was left of the wreckage was the remains of a motorbike being put on a recovery truck :( ).

It was an awesome ride with awesome company and yummie nomnoms made by CL and Pixieannie, thanks so much for all your efforts, I don't think I was in any fit state to thank you properly at Dunwich I was a bit zombified.

My first Dun Run (and first night ride and >50 mile ride) went so much better than I expected mostly due to the Yacf moral support enroute, some happy memories and can't wait to see the pics  ;D

« Reply #741 on: 25 July, 2010, 09:11:04 pm »

Proper ride report later; suffice to say that we stormed the first half (and was it geraldc who had chalked "allez allez" on Church Hill?) and then faded over the second half, partly because we had no incentive to hurry, knowing Annie would be catering on the beach  :thumbsup:

Yes that was me!
I went to Finchingfield at 11 to draw on the road, but there was already a constant stream of cyclists, so I just scrawled something quick and went home  ;D

Turns out chalking stuff on the road is actually quite difficult. I now have a lot more respect for the little girls next door who manage to cover their parents driveway in a matter of seconds.

I think next time I try write messages on the road, I'll get spray chalk.

pixieannie

« Reply #742 on: 25 July, 2010, 09:37:57 pm »
Rich and another 'bent rider', chatting in the early hours

The Bishop (he who likes to drink tea but is not a vicar)

Man of many miles

Joined by Darkpoint

Birthday boy in the background

pixieannie

« Reply #743 on: 25 July, 2010, 09:41:50 pm »
The only view I got of 'The Lovely Jane'.

A smiley, happy chappy

Actually, it wasn't the only pic.  Also present, the much missed Jurek and the newly met Pippa

Even big people need a sleepie byes

pixieannie

« Reply #744 on: 25 July, 2010, 09:45:29 pm »
Mr and Mrs Oaky

TimO and Luke, looking far too fresh

They kept on coming

and got even more gorgeous as the day went on

Sorry but that's all, apologies if I didn't get your pic but not enough time or busy making tea or something else.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #745 on: 25 July, 2010, 10:37:44 pm »
 In tent, totally knackered. Food, beach, swim, Annie. All good, the latter, amazing. Barbecue, more food, beer, tea, banana custard. Pikes, paraffin,  FIRE!
Poi, staff, chains and pics. Sleep now, more later.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #746 on: 25 July, 2010, 11:50:52 pm »
Photos from the start.  Apologies for the delay - My 'puter's been on a go slow. :-\

Clicky on the first for the slideshow

Colourful Characters:

Cake:

We Three Kings:

Getting there...

« Reply #747 on: 25 July, 2010, 11:59:09 pm »
Great to see you all again and to meet some new faces.

I stuck with team slow until a few miles before Dunmow but progress was too slow for my tastes, so I spent the rest of the ride leapfrogging groups (and stopping at pubs) until I got to people I could only just stick with.

I rode home (to Ely) this year, getting 223miles in all for the weekend.  :D

Huge thanks to Annie again.

Here's lots of photos - I'll do some captions tomorrow when I'm more awake.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #748 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:01:42 am »

« Reply #749 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:04:12 am »