Author Topic: LEL - Drying rooms?  (Read 6219 times)

red marley

LEL - Drying rooms?
« on: 19 July, 2009, 10:11:01 pm »
Does anyone know if any of the controls have drying rooms/space available? I wondering whether it would be at all practical to leave wet things on the outward journey to pick them up dry on the return, or possibly after a sleep stop. Stuffed in my drop bag is unlikely to achieve this. Ideally I would like to be able to wash my best pair of bib shorts and socks and leave them to dry.

Having experienced the smell in the drying room on the Brian Chapman, I can completely understand why this might not be an option.

LEL

Re: Drying rooms?
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:16:39 pm »
i UNDERSTAND A COUPLE OF CONTROLS HAVE WASHING LINES  PLANNED.

i'M SURE THEY WILL BE ALONG SOON TO CONFIRM.

wE DID DO LOTS OF DRYING OUT AT tHORNE IN 05 - LARGELY BY UTILISING A  WARMING CUPBOARD.  nOT SURE THAT WILL BE AN OPTION THIS TIME ;D

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:20:18 pm »

wE DID DO LOTS OF DRYING OUT AT tHORNE IN 05 - LARGELY BY UTILISING A  WARMING CUPBOARD.  nOT SURE THAT WILL BE AN OPTION THIS TIME ;D

er...
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:22:53 pm »

Nope...sorry...we have no drying rooms!  Did you have to throw that one in? Now you got me thinking!! We do have goal posts though!  But we might be using them for football  ::-)
Not just a cyclist's wife!

LEL

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:24:33 pm »
you must remember it giraffe - ......it was in the kitchen and we used a towel on the  metal slats to stop the lycra from going crispy.  It worked a treat.

Can't say it would pass health and safety regs mind.... ;D

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:33:20 pm »
i C that your cAPsLocK is on the blink again

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:48:52 pm »
i C that your cAPsLocK is on the blink again

At least it's just the caps lock for a change! You should she what she does to the mouse!!

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:57:37 pm »
I hope it has a shower cap on

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:59:53 pm »
I hope it has a shower cap on

;D  Why on earth? 

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:55:22 am »
No specific space available at Eskdalemuir.  It might be possible to set up a line outside, though I would need to be satisfied such a line posed no threat to the safety of people wandering around at the control.

Really Ancien

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:59:55 am »
There's a drying room at Alston, which is an outdoor centre catering for mine exploration among other things. With the interchangeability of so much cycle clothing I might use the drying clothes if I'm feeling a bit parky, leaving someone to finish the ride naked.

Damon.

LEL

« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:05:59 am »

« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:06:16 am »
If it's not raining and hence clothes will dry outside then the rider should turn his shorts inside out, loop the straps over his shoulders and wear the shorts back pack style to dry in the wind cause by movement. Or strap them to ones rack or saddle bag, touring style. Can you really imagine 600 pairs of shorts in a drying room or on a washing line ? I ask you. John Radford has a pair of shorts stolen at Brest BTW while he was swapping his kit around.

LEL

« Reply #13 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:07:12 am »
There's a drying room at Alston, which is an outdoor centre catering for mine exploration among other things. With the interchangeability of so much cycle clothing I might use the drying clothes if I'm feeling a bit parky, leaving someone to finish the ride naked.

Damon.

You really would be a bit parky cylcing down Yad Moss au naturelle......

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:13:52 am »

You really would be a bit parky cylcing down Yad Moss au naturelle......

[/quote

It sounds as though the northern stretch is turning into a hard riders' version of the World Naked Bike Ride. 

The thought of all those people standing on the pedals to climb Yad Moss in the buff doesn't bear thinking about
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #15 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:16:38 am »
Surveying the route in May '97, I had to slow down on that descent as the snow was heavy enough to reduce visibility. I'd shrink from doing it unclothed.

As for shorts inside out  :sick:

« Reply #16 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:22:08 am »
The thought of all those people standing on the pedals to climb Yad Moss in the buff doesn't bear thinking about

it's not that sort of climb.

« Reply #17 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:35:09 am »
Nope...sorry...we have no drying rooms!  Did you have to throw that one in? Now you got me thinking!!

I'm really disappointed. The way you've been talking I was expecting Coxwold to be a full service control.
Arrive and have the bike taken and looked after by the valet parking team, who give it to the mechanical team for a quick tune up and polish. Bell hops to grab the Carradice. Doorman holding the door and tipping his cap. Concierge to take the brevet for stamping and sorting out any issues like needing batteries for lights etc.  Looked after by the Maître d' in the restaurant area, before visiting the Spa for a massage and pedicure. Afternoon tea on the terrace, then return invigorated and ready to ride.

Are you saying this isn't the case? Do you seriously expect us to slum it in a draughty village hall? :(

:) :) :)

LEL

« Reply #18 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:42:53 am »
Actually, Coxwold is a surprisingly undrafty village hall.

And I think you will be so impressed by the restaurant you won't notice the lack of  concierge. :D

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #19 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:03:43 pm »
Nope...sorry...we have no drying rooms!  Did you have to throw that one in? Now you got me thinking!!

I'm really disappointed. The way you've been talking I was expecting Coxwold to be a full service control.
Arrive and have the bike taken and looked after by the valet parking team, who give it to the mechanical team for a quick tune up and polish. Bell hops to grab the Carradice. Doorman holding the door and tipping his cap. Concierge to take the brevet for stamping and sorting out any issues like needing batteries for lights etc.  Looked after by the Maître d' in the restaurant area, before visiting the Spa for a massage and pedicure. Afternoon tea on the terrace, then return invigorated and ready to ride.

Are you saying this isn't the case? Do you seriously expect us to slum it in a draughty village hall? :(

:) :) :)

It's not draughty! There is so much love there it will keep out a gale!! ;)

We have tried to think of most things!  but washing line was overlooked!  I would buy in a dryer especailly for you if it made you happy but it might blow the electrics.  And..we would want you going soft now would you!  I like the cyclists wearing nothing solution myself!

Lynn x

LEL

« Reply #20 on: 20 July, 2009, 04:15:37 pm »

[/quote]

We have tried to think of most things!  but washing line was overlooked!  I would buy in a dryer especailly for you if it made you happy but it might blow the electrics.  And..we would want you going soft now would you!  I like the cyclists wearing nothing solution myself!

Lynn x
[/quote]

yes.  It helps with the 3P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P's. 

« Reply #21 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:14:50 pm »

Lynn x
[/quote]

yes.  It helps with the 3P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P's. 
[/quote]

but would help to score the 4th P :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

LEL

« Reply #22 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:59:42 pm »
yOU READ MY MIND           ;)

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #23 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:11:29 pm »
I think I have lost the plot now! What you on about? Am i being blonde here?

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:14:25 pm »
Mel, Rachel, you naughty girls! I have clicked!  You need a good slap!  Some of us are sweet and innocent here!   Anyhow, you do know what long spells sitting in the saddle does to the artery that feed the fourth 'p' if I am on your sick wave length here!  Not much to judge really, think I will go for the politeness!