Author Topic: l'Etape du Tour 2009  (Read 1795 times)

l'Etape du Tour 2009
« on: 23 July, 2009, 05:22:10 pm »
Did anyone else on here do l'Etape on Monday?

My overwhelming memory of the Ventoux was that it was brutal in that heat! I've never seen so many riders walking, sittling, sleeping, throwing up and collapsing! I recorded an average temperature of 29 degrees, peaking at 39 degrees on the mountain  :o

Great ride, though. I was going really well until the bottom the descent of the Col du Notre Dame des Abilles, when soon after my legs just disappeared on the flat stretch into Bedoin as the heat soared. I'd always wanted to ride up the Ventoux and was so pleased to have dragged my tired body to the top!

I lost the best part of an hour to a mechanical when I broke a spoke on the Col d'Ey - just my luck it was the red one on my Ksyrium ES rear wheel   :(  Mavic tried to fix it, but after several attempts they realised they didn't have the  correct length and kindly loaned me an R-SYS to complete the ride. Great service. All I have to do now is get it back to them after I forgot to swap it back at the finish...

It's not too difficult to play spot the Ventoux on the graph from my HRM:

Re: l'Etape du Tour 2009
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2009, 06:58:43 pm »
Yeah, did my first non-UK sportive on Monday - and what an event!!  9500 cyclists blasting their way around a fantastic course - smooth roads, great views, wonderful roadside encouragement from all nationalities, and generally good road etiquette from most (but not all) participants. A few nasty accidents and at least one in which I doubt the casualty will be riding his bike for some time to come.

The Ventoux heat was brutal. Having arrived at Bedoin 1h10m up on my schedule I briefly toyed with the idea of getting a silver medal for my age category, but after a few Kms into the Ventoux climb I soon dismissed that idea from my mind. Instead it was a game of survival - with plenty of stops in the shade to get my body temperature down. In the end I did the climb with about 12 "cool down" stops and at 1h8m longer than schedule, beating my planned total schedule time by 1m51s.  There were plenty of cyclists puking in the verge, several having passed out or resting in the shade, and the ever present sound of ambulance sirens - the climb was a scene of total carnage, and IMO good reason for my own tactic of plenty of cool down stops. On a cooler day I'd like to try and climb it non-stop, cos' in my view none of the gradients were insurmountable.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2009, 08:36:20 pm »
I rode the etape a few years ago when it finished on Alpe d'Huez and was surprised to see so many continental riders suffering with either the climb itself or the heat.  I was expecting them to be familiar with both. Am I missing something?

Agree with the comment about some riders not being particularly well-mannered. I found the amount of aggression or thoughtlessness to be quite disheartening and is the main reason why I have no desire to ride such an event again.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2009, 07:47:49 pm »
Hi  The carnage is due to the broom wagon, time limits are tight and any mechanical is a disaster for some . So its bust a gut to the final cutoff and then the  climb to the finish is much harder .

« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2009, 09:18:14 pm »
Interesting also that the organisers do describe it as a race, not a sportive.

I didn't have any issues with the riding, other than when I was being (understandably) cut up whilst clinging to one side of the road on a descent because I only had one brake. Fast, smooth lines around the bends weren't my priority at that time  :-[