Author Topic: LEL in the news  (Read 1982 times)

LEL in the news
« on: 24 July, 2009, 09:55:12 pm »

Here

THE London-Edinburgh-London Audex race, The Audax UK's flagship event, will be passing through Gainsborough next week, the town being on the stretch between the controls at Thorne and Washingborough.

The route only goes through Gainsborough on the southbound leg (the northbound route goes via Market Rasen, Kirton Lindsey and Keadby Bridge).

The riders will enter Gainsborough from Misterton, Beckingham, over the Trent Bridge, right on to Lea Road, left up Foxby Hill, then on to Upton, Kexby, Stow, Sturton and left up Tillbridge Lane.

This is the sixth running of LEL.

The first took place in 1989, and there were 29 starters all from the UK, and 26 finishers.

This year there are 620 entrants from 28 countries, not only from major cycling nations such as Italy (86 entrants), Germany, Belgium, France and USA, but also from Brazil, Japan, Finland, Latvia and Costa Rica.

Although the ride starts on Sunday 26th July, as Gainsborough comes after 1144 km, the riders will be well spread out, and it is expected the fastest ones will reach Gainsborough some time on Tuesday 28th, but most will pass through on Wednesday 29th in the afternoon/evening.

Former Gainsborough lad John Spooner is rider No 1 and, as he still considers it his home town. It will be very special to ride through the town and on the country lanes he got to know as a teenager.

"Gainsborough lad".  Made me chuckle.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: LEL in the news
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2009, 10:05:04 pm »

Former Gainsborough lad John Spooner is rider No 1 and, as he still considers it his home town. It will be very special to ride through the town and on the country lanes he got to know as a teenager.

Do you think that when JS tugs his heavenly Longflaps down for the last time and orders the final Traditional breakfast (no egg, extra bacon) from the celestial waitress in shimering green polyester, they will erect a memorial bus shelter in his honour?

H

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: LEL in the news
« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2009, 10:07:40 pm »
It would be rude not to.  Wake me at 4am and pass me a Frijj.

http://img1.photographersdirect.com/img/22546/wm/pd1671867.jpg
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.