Author Topic: Urgent LEL assistance required to track down a witness - Mel  (Read 4958 times)

LEL

Urgent LEL assistance required to track down a witness - Mel
« on: 03 August, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »
Does anyone happen top know the  rider who was with the chap who  was  allegedly hit by a 4x4 plus trailer  near the end of LEL?

We know he was a foreign rider and the police are desperate to track him down.  Essentially, if we cannot find the witness, the police cannot bring charges.

Please alert as many foreign forums as you are aware of  and  flag it up with  foreign riders you may be in contact with.

We think the bloke in question may either be French or German.

LEL

Re: Urgent LEL assistance required to track down a witness - Mel
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2009, 04:03:14 pm »
I would prefer it got onto foreign forums twice (already getting messages out) than not at all,.

And I have to say allegedly hit the rider as until we have the witness, we have not proof. >:(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2009, 04:11:05 pm »
I shared a lodge at LV with the wife and daughter of Danish recumbenteer Jan Buschart (sp). Mrs B alerted me when this  happened and I believe Jan was on scene, if not actually a witness.
The family have now gone off to the South of France.

Do you have details of riders who came in to Lee Valley at about the same time as Jan? (19.00 to 21.00 Thurs) They might be able to help.

« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2009, 05:52:18 pm »
Does anyone happen top know the  rider who was with the chap who  was  allegedly hit by a 4x4 plus trailer  near the end of LEL?

We know he was a foreign rider and the police are desperate to track him down.  Essentially, if we cannot find the witness, the police cannot bring charges.

If this was where the road was then blocked by police while riders were allowed to pass on the pavement: That could have been Fred Seidlitz from germany. He told us that he had been just behind a rider who was hit by the tailend of an overtaking vehicle and sommersaulted a couple of times while still being on his bike. He said the guy had lain still for quite a while, till connected to his steed. He had taken a fotograf of that which he showed to us and did not know who to speak to or contact.
Problem was / is that Fred hardly speaks a word of english.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2009, 06:33:55 pm »
Would you be willing to contact him and act as interpreter?
Otherwise it should not be beyond the wit of man to find another German speaker.
If nothing else, if Fred could provide a written statement, perhaps with a photograph, the police could translate it theselves.
German is hardly a tongue from Outer Space!

« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2009, 06:50:17 pm »
Would you be willing to contact him and act as interpreter?
Otherwise it should not be beyond the wit of man to find another German speaker.
If nothing else, if Fred could provide a written statement, perhaps with a photograph, the police could translate it theselves.
German is hardly a tongue from Outer Space!
If Fred is the right person: Yes, I guess he'd be really happy to provide whatever is necessary. He did try to talk to the police at the site of the accident, iirc, and was very unhappy and concerned about it all. Just tell us precisely what you need.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2009, 07:18:58 pm »
Mel, can you forward the relevant police contact details to Gabriele (jedrik), so she can liaise, please?

LEL

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2009, 09:11:47 pm »
Emails sent to Jedrik - will jkeep everyone updated when I know anything further re  this.

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:08:43 pm »
Emails sent to Jedrik - will jkeep everyone updated when I know anything further re  this.

If translation is required John Hopper speaks fluent German.

HTH
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:26:49 pm »
Thanks. Jedrik is German and had already spoken to Fred after LEL.
The Police may not want a translation from someone they could consider to be 'biased' and may wish to provide their own translator.
I think contacting Fred and getting written evidence should be the priority.

Jan

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2009, 08:33:38 am »
I shared a lodge at LV with the wife and daughter of Danish recumbenteer Jan Buschart (sp). Mrs B alerted me when this  happened and I believe Jan was on scene, if not actually a witness.
The family have now gone off to the South of France.

Do you have details of riders who came in to Lee Valley at about the same time as Jan? (19.00 to 21.00 Thurs) They might be able to help.

I did not witness the accident, as I arrived after the police had closed the road.  I spoke briefly to a police officer and then called my wife to let her know that I was Ok and to ask her to alert the LEL organizers.  sorry I can't be of more help. 

/Jan

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2009, 10:21:26 am »
Thanks Jan. On scene but not a witness.
Hope you had a good time in France.

Has there been any further contact with Fred etc?

« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2009, 10:32:16 am »

Yes. He is just back from his extended holiday in britain and promised to compile his report with some fotografs as soon as possible.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2009, 10:40:32 am »

Yes. He is just back from his extended holiday in britain and promised to compile his report with some fotografs as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Jan

« Reply #14 on: 10 August, 2009, 09:30:16 pm »
Hope you had a good time in France.

Yes!  Meeting great people from all over the world, plenty of good food, very exhausting - much like LEL,  but not quite as wet and cold  ;D 

A family gathering with a little more than 90 cousins from France, UK, Denmark, USA,.... Great fun!

LEL

« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2009, 12:32:50 pm »
I have received from the German Rider who witnessed the event, and photographed its aftermath, a clear statement and photos which will hopefully  supply sufficient information for the police to consider further action.   The rider concerned has sent these directly to the police.

As this is  a matter which is undergoing investigation, i will not  supply details of the statement,   However, i will say that it is clearly and concisely written and is and excellent example of  a clear, non judgmental  witness statement.

I wold like to thank both the rider and  the German LEL correspondent Gabriel (of this parish) who tracked him down and  dealt with this matter so efficiently and  calmly.

We can now only wait and hope for a prosecution.