Author Topic: LEL results muddle  (Read 7382 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
LEL results muddle
« on: 13 August, 2009, 11:00:56 pm »
Anyone else in my boat ?
Lots and lots of you recorded as riding and finishing Lel - 14 points credited to your names - me - zilch.
Should not be a validation query - as I finished within the original time limit - never mind the extra 2 hours.

More admin confusion - or has my card got lost?
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Re: LEL results muddle
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2009, 11:03:49 pm »
Maybe just a keying error by the recorder, it's happened to me before. Follow the trail backwards to find out who didn't get the details.  Email someone who is in a position to do something about it.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2009, 11:19:24 pm »
I still haven't been credited the points either...

May be they still haven't finished to sort out all the riders cards...
Chief cat entertainer.

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2009, 12:48:05 am »
No points for me yet either, but Nuncio, with whom I rode the entire route, has his 14 points! And my card was handed over at the finish in pristine condition, unlike Nuncio's which had virtually disintegrated.

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2009, 08:36:55 am »
Before this gets out of hand......

The list on the AUK website is provisional only.  It was compiled in haste by the organiser a couple of days after the ride finished.

The cards have not yet been given to the validators for examination.  When they arrive, hopefully some time this weekend, we expect it will take at least another fortnight to prepare a "final" sheet.

From what we have been told, there were around 400 rock-solid, set-in-concrete-ok finishers of the event.  In addition there are perhaps 20 others whose cards will need to be examined in detail in conjunction with data collected at controls.  Following this exercise, all borderline cases will be discussed by the AUK board and, if necessary ACP/LRM before the "final-final" list emerges.

We already know of one rider whose name is missing from the provisional list.  There may be more. It is not particularly relevant at this stage.  When the final list is published, we will be reasonably confident that it is complete.

Please be patient.

Keith

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2009, 12:31:24 pm »
Thx Keeff - my query was to try to find out whether I was the only one - in which case drastic action was required to find missing brevet card - now I know I am not alone - well ---  it doesn't feel so lonely!!

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2009, 11:11:41 pm »
Mine was forgotten because they assumed that only British nationals were members of AUK, no offense taken!!!

I am going to reiterate a comment I have already made a month ago:
Do we really need Daily mail style subjects when something is not quite right from LEL?
People have given away time to organise an event that went generally well from the riders' perspective; we should be grateful! It shouldn't stop us from making constructive comments or pointing that something does not look right but I suggest that words such as "muddle" are not needed! Somebody compiled info from soggy brevet cards and missed a few people; as long as they put it right before the end of the audax year it is not going to make a big difference! We are talking audax points, not real money!
Chief cat entertainer.

LEL

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2009, 11:57:09 pm »
Thx Keeff - my query was to try to find out whether I was the only one - in which case drastic action was required to find missing brevet card - now I know I am not alone - well ---  it doesn't feel so lonely!!

There was no one under the name fidgetbuzz on the entry list so its not surprising  you weren't on it.

;D

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2009, 02:26:20 pm »
Thx Keeff - my query was to try to find out whether I was the only one - in which case drastic action was required to find missing brevet card - now I know I am not alone - well ---  it doesn't feel so lonely!!

There was no one under the name fidgetbuzz on the entry list so its not surprising  you weren't on it.

;D

An attempt to score a cheap point Mel?

Sadly misplaced  because I e-mailed you directly 2 days ago including my rider number - and to date you have not bothered to reply  - so do you have a brevet card for rider 105 or have you lost it?

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2009, 10:40:41 pm »

;D

Sadly misplaced  because I e-mailed you directly 2 days ago including my rider number - and to date you have not bothered to reply  - so do you have a brevet card for rider 105 or have you lost it?

Mel doesn't have the cards anymore. They are allready in the hands of the validation team. So you are adressing the wrong person.

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2009, 10:45:34 pm »
Leaking "finishers" onto the AUK website was a big mistake. Results should only be posted when the validation team have applied their signatures to the Brevet cards.

Another own goal by someone I think. Fidgetbuzz and others wouldn't have any reason to be fingerpointing if only validated results had been posted.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2009, 11:03:42 pm »
Ivo - I live in the same city as the validation team - i had already spoken to them - the brevet cards were originally promised a week ago - and had not arrived - so who do you expect me to ask questions of - the person who had apparently released a list of finishers and should as far as I know have included my name.

So I e-mailed - do I get a reply -- NO. - but that is so true to form - but Mel can find time to post a snide remark on this forum.

So I post here - am I the only one left out - apparently not- so an unapproved partially complete list of finishers has got onto our UK audax site, with out any explanation of the position. Anyone on this list who is then NOT validated is going to be furious - and as I understand it - this is not just a vague possibility.

Panoramix - you would not realise but I need this ride for a long term target - if the admin team have cocked up my validation / lost my card - then it is not 14 points - it is ONE years riding at risk - and I should not be having to take unusual steps to get my ride OK'd - ie contacting those who rode with me to the finish and saw me there at a certain time.

RANT nearly over - what I would like to say about the admin side of LEL is best left unsaid - but I can report that Brevet cards are now with validation team - and I am informed that mine is there and is OK - so it was left off the provisional list by an oversight and incompetence -- typical.

« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2009, 11:17:11 pm »
Panoramix - you would not realise but I need this ride for a long term target - if the admin team have cocked up my validation / lost my card - then it is not 14 points - it is ONE years riding at risk - and I should not be having to take unusual steps to get my ride OK'd - ie contacting those who rode with me to the finish and saw me there at a certain time

Using LEL for obtaining a full years target while LEL is at the end of the month is quite risky. Just see the fate of the Greek rider who crashed before reaching Gamlinggay on the way out. An easy 200 at the start of the month would have given you far more tranquility. Any big ride can end due to unforseen circumstances. Those who have don a few will have plenty of examples of that.
Anyway, you are in a far more advantaged position as I am. Those who finished outside of the time limit + 2 hours have to await the mercy of all those involved in the decision making process. But I see no reason to be either impatient or nervous.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #13 on: 16 August, 2009, 01:20:17 am »

Panoramix - you would not realise but I need this ride for a long term target - if the admin team have cocked up my validation / lost my card - then it is not 14 points - it is ONE years riding at risk - and I should not be having to take unusual steps to get my ride OK'd - ie contacting those who rode with me to the finish and saw me there at a certain time.

I stand by my comment that audax is just a hobby and we should be greatful that volunteers are willing to donate their time to make it happen.

I am not sure what is your long term target but we are not talking of an error affecting safety or of a major flaw in the organisation, just of a few riders who haven't had their points attributed promptly. The event result page for LEL is not even online, so we haven't even been missed from an official list. In a perfect world that shouldn't have happened but they corrected my case within 8 hours and yours within a few days.  Can you really expect more from people doing this in their spare time? I am not saying that LEL ran like Swiss clockwork, just that it went generally well from a rider perspective and this is what should really matter.

As riders we need volunteers so let's not make their life unpleasant!
Chief cat entertainer.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #14 on: 16 August, 2009, 03:45:12 am »
.. just that it went generally well from a rider perspective and this is what should really matter.

Amen to that, for many of them LEL2009 has several months to run yet.

I have great hope for future editions of LEL. Yes there were central organisational problems this time round and yet the feedback from riders seems overwhelmingly positive. Next time there will be a whole team of people to support the central organisation, for the benefit of both riders and volunteers.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2009, 09:54:21 am »

I stand by my comment that audax is just a hobby and we should be greatful that volunteers are willing to donate their time to make it happen.

I am not sure what is your long term target but we are not talking of an error affecting safety or of a major flaw in the organisation, just of a few riders who haven't had their points attributed promptly. The event result page for LEL is not even online, so we haven't even been missed from an official list. In a perfect world that shouldn't have happened but they corrected my case within 8 hours and yours within a few days.  Can you really expect more from people doing this in their spare time? I am not saying that LEL ran like Swiss clockwork, just that it went generally well from a rider perspective and this is what should really matter.

???Very true and I am gald that the majority of people recognise that, but for those that still want to rant just think:

I gave up about three solid months of my time, and more before that to make sure my control ran smoothly, weeks later I have still not settled back into a normal routine and I still have so much junk, lost property and etc taking over my valuable space. 
I have not had a holiday, my fitness has dropped enormously as I have been far too busy to ride, my poor dogs feel totally neglected, as do most of my extended family and friends! My garden is over-run with weeds and many other jobs have been left undone. Some of the things I put into LEl I will never get to reclaim.  I, or any other volunteer will not get AUK points or any other form of points for taking part.  We chose to help out yes, but the riders also chose to do the ride.
The same will no doubt refelct the same situation that most other volunteers are in too.  Yes, we did this for you all and in most cases it was well worth it.
It would be really nice if people made any negative comments directly to the relavant people, privately rather than voice them on the forum, it does make some us wonder why we ever bothered in the first place!!!!! :(

My mother alway said "Patience is a virtue" and as we all know, all good things come to those who wait, Rome was not built in a day, it is only just over 2 weeks since we all got back, this is really not that long.  Maybe if people want something done very quickly then it would be worth having some one who is paid to do these things, that way we would not have to rely on the kindness of volunteers.
Not just a cyclist's wife!

« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2009, 10:02:44 am »
calm down fidgetbuzz

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2009, 10:45:17 am »
I am already on record as singing the praises of all the volunteers at the controls - they made the event a success, and without them it would have been a failure.

I am not just a complainer - I have already volunteered to help Keith with validation if he needs an extra pair of eyes or hands - I volunteered long ago to help on making entry admin for 2013 better handled than in 2009 and I am currently trying to help on the financial input of a possible team to run 2013 - may not happen of course.

However the example of allowing a partially complete unvalidated list of finishers to be circulated - without any explanation seems to me to be short sighted - it will generate more work - as the final list will have to be compared with the already entered list to discover who has been missed off - and if there any that have to be deleted.

As to calm down - if Mel had bothered to reply to my e-mail querying the position instead of posting a cheap joke here - then there would have been no need  for any further post

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2009, 10:58:42 am »
As to calm down - if Mel had bothered to reply to my e-mail querying the position instead of posting a cheap joke here - then there would have been no need  for any further post

If only you had chosen to be polite in your response then no-one would have thought your behaviour unreasonable.

« Reply #19 on: 16 August, 2009, 11:07:27 am »

If only you had chosen to be polite in your response then no-one would have thought your behaviour unreasonable.

or on the OP

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August, 2009, 11:36:45 am »
Leaking "finishers" onto the AUK website was a big mistake.

That was entirely my finger trouble.  
I was asked to suppress the display of the LEL list, which I did - in the usual place.  But I forgot about the alternative way to access the lists.  I've suppressed this as well now.   (LEL does still show up on individuals' records.)

Results should only be posted when the validation team have applied their signatures to the Brevet cards.

True - but that might take a few months ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #21 on: 16 August, 2009, 11:43:50 am »
Results should only be posted when the validation team have applied their signatures to the Brevet cards.

Someone who didn't do the ride whinged last week or earlier IIRC that the finish list wasn't on line !

« Reply #22 on: 16 August, 2009, 11:46:51 am »

I've been allready working on streamlining this process. The visions of the LRM president on which guidelines to use regarding extra time are transmitted to the validation team. Luckily they are quite the same as those of the validation team. So the amount of riders which have to be discussed internationally will be quite small, if any at all.

LEL

« Reply #23 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:38:34 am »

;D

An attempt at humour actually  ;)  Though I am confused as to why you think I am out to score cheap points. 

Your brevet card is  in the hands of the validators.

And I didn't reply because I was  taking the brevet cards down to the validators ensure they were not lost in the post.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Rider imperfect shock
« Reply #24 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:54:39 am »
I am going to reiterate a comment I have already made a month ago:
Do we really need Daily mail style subjects when something is not quite right from LEL?

Good point, well made!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles