Author Topic: 1001 Miglia Italia 2010  (Read 50287 times)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
Re: 1001 Miglia Italia 2010
« Reply #75 on: 27 May, 2010, 03:30:42 pm »
Just finalising the paperwork. The website says that foreign riders need to provide 'front and back photocopy of the License Card for the 2010 year'.

I don't have a cycling 'license' of any sort - so how have others interpreted this? AUK membership card? Just ignore it?
Article 2 of the rules in the website states;- ' Foreigners who do not have a regular licence must have a medical certificate issued by a sports physician and a personal liability insurance.' However later on it says that BOTH licence and med cert must be sent by British cyclists, so its as clear as mud.!I already scanned and emailed my med cert and proof of payment in reply to an earlier email by Fermo...
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

simonp

« Reply #76 on: 27 May, 2010, 03:38:32 pm »
Would CTC membership cover the liability thing?

As for a medical certificate from a sports physician, where does one find one of those?

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #77 on: 27 May, 2010, 03:47:18 pm »
As for a medical certificate from a sports physician, where does one find one of those?

my GP was happy to write (on practice headed notepaper) 'X is a patient of my practice. I know of no medical reason why X should not ride <name & dates of event>'. Worked ok for PBP07, and no charge.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Pete Mas

« Reply #78 on: 27 May, 2010, 03:53:01 pm »

my GP was happy to write (on practice headed notepaper) 'X is a patient of my practice. I know of no medical reason why X should not ride <name & dates of event>'. Worked ok for PBP07, and no charge.

My GP now charges for this service, as I ask him so often!
Re personal liability insurance I think they mean your travel insurance, as I also emailed a schedule of  that to Fermo, as requested in his email circular

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #79 on: 27 May, 2010, 07:33:55 pm »

My GP now charges for this service, as I ask him so often!

They usualy do. I think my local GP charges £20 a go.

So I'll do my own. Shhhh

Packing a bike for an airplane?

When I went to Turkey last year I bought a cover for patio furnature for £5 (it was half price) from a DIY shop. This was my bike bag. I put some pipe lagging on the frame etc. I re-built my bike at the airport and carried the bag and pipe lagging by strapping it to my cheap, foldable rucksack (that folds down to pocket size) which contained all of my luggage for the holiday and was taken on the airplane as hand luggage. I put my tools, pedals and sharp objects in my saddle pack with my bike.

I'll probably get a train to London, train to Paris then train to Milan or something like that. I'll bag up my bike, possibly in several bags (or sheets of plastic) and strip the bike down if need be then take it on as normal luggage.
I'll book the train via seat 61

Anyone have a hotel room booked and loking for a room mate to cut down costs?
I haven't booked anywhere yet.

« Reply #80 on: 04 June, 2010, 07:48:35 am »
Re personal liability insurance I think they mean your travel insurance, as I also emailed a schedule of  that to Fermo, as requested in his email circular

I don't recall getting this email circular - can you tell me its date?

Has anyone had any confirmation of acceptance of the doctor's certificate thing? I'm about to arrange a letter from my GP but it would be helpful to know if it should say anything specific and who to address it to.

Pete Mas

« Reply #81 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:16:47 am »
Re personal liability insurance I think they mean your travel insurance, as I also emailed a schedule of  that to Fermo, as requested in his email circular

I don't recall getting this email circular - can you tell me its date?

Has anyone had any confirmation of acceptance of the doctor's certificate thing? I'm about to arrange a letter from my GP but it would be helpful to know if it should say anything specific and who to address it to.

Here is the email from Newsletter 1001 migliaitalia.it 6th may I think. Many others recd inc full route sheet PDF
Email Fermo if you are not receiving these- his email is below ie fermo.rigamonti@gmail.com

Hello Peter  Mastenko

Clothing Line - Abbigliamento  1001MigliaItalia
In occasione della manifestazione 2010 è stato approntata linea abbigliamento 1001MigliaItalia 2010 elaborata dal maglificio MB  Marcello Bergamo
Di seguito riportiamo le modalità di richiesta e relativi costi .Le persone interessate all'acquisto devono compilare:
 il modulo richiesta acquisto completo di tutte le indicazioni ed inviarlo tramite e-mail al seguente indirizzo: fermo.rigamonti@gmail.com

Leggi qui

-  - 1001  miglia 1600km

dovete inviare una
fotocopia tessera
fotocopia bonifico
o tramite email con il scanner o per posta a fermo rigamonti fermo.rigamonti@gmail.com

We are offering all riders this year for the 1001MigliaItalia 2010 to order a a souvenir from the clothing line made by maglificio MB  Marcello Bergamo
The below links you can download the catalog and the form to fill out to make your order.
You must fill out the order form and send a  e-mail to fermo.rigamonti@gmail.com

Leggi qui

-  - 1001  miglia 1600km

For who has not sent to fermo rigamonti you need to send
A doctors certificate stating you are in good health to do the 1001 miglia same type of certificate you need for the PBP

A copia of your insurance policy incase something happens while you are here.

A copy of your payment if you have not done so.

Rigamonti Fermo
20014 Nerviano (MI)
Via Cavour Camillo Benso, 52

This email was sent automatically because  you have registered for the 1001miglia 2010.
Please don't respond to this email it will not be read.

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #82 on: 20 July, 2010, 08:39:08 am »
There have been made gps files available. 1 in mapsource format and 1 on gpsies.

Both have errors in the routing. Anyone allready looked at it and corrected the data? I wil no one advice to ride with the ones made available. Simply zoom in on a detailed scale and follow the route. See what happens :(.

« Reply #83 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:51:09 am »
16th August?

That's me out then as it's slap bang in the middle of my silver wedding anniversary.

Oh well.

Maybe 2012.

H

Or maybe a trip to Italy for your Anniversary and you do this as well :thumbsup: Of course delicate negotiation may be involved but it could be win/win

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #84 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:06:24 pm »
There have been made gps files available. 1 in mapsource format and 1 on gpsies.

Both have errors in the routing. Anyone allready looked at it and corrected the data? I wil no one advice to ride with the ones made available. Simply zoom in on a detailed scale and follow the route. See what happens :(.

i have just checked the route (track) once again and it seems fine, except that there is no waypoints for the controls.

simonp

« Reply #85 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:39:45 pm »

It does seem to divert round loops into side streets roads sometimes, doesn't it?  Or round a roundabout twice (or more). :)

Easily corrected though.

« Reply #86 on: 21 July, 2010, 12:18:33 am »
Look for example in the gpsies version at km 50 and km 1525. These are very clear. It can not be correct, just as lots of round abouts. Not that it is much of a problem it can be solved but must ne done very carefully. So the question is, has somebody done allready these corrections?

I rather do it at home than on the bike!

« Reply #87 on: 21 July, 2010, 12:50:13 am »
I started taking the Openrunner tracks referenced in the big "road book" spreadsheet (at http://www.1001migliaitalia.it/course/download/road_book_2010.xls) and making routes for them and then stopped as I had other things to do. I noticed that they had replaced some tracks. The 5th leg after Faenza is one example. See  http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=570688 which was originally another more northerly route. There were 3 or 4 others. The new openrunner files correspond with what is written in the road book.

However, an email newsletter came round on the 7th July with the following link: http://www.1001migliaitalia.it/gps/index.php the files on that page seem to show the old Openrunner tracks , not the new ones.

This is in additon to the off-route excursions, which look like they relate to occasional getting losts, petrol stops, meals and comfort breaks behind hedges by whoever reccied the route.

Has anyone got clarification of which are the right tracks?
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #88 on: 02 August, 2010, 02:16:23 pm »
My riding partner is DNSing (Knee problem). I have a spare bed at Polihotel on 15th,22nd, 23rd August to share costs. Also, if anybody interested in sharing shuttle to-from Airport on 15th (arr. 16:40 Malpensa) and 24 Aug (dep. 10:40), let me know. ta.

Nic

avi

« Reply #89 on: 02 August, 2010, 07:08:00 pm »
Hi I may take your offer let me know if you need somebody for the room,also I arrive on the 12Th  avicontractors1@yahoo.co.uk

« Reply #90 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:25:03 am »
bed for 15th, 22nd and 23rd now gone.  :thumbsup:

shared shuttle taxi on 15th and 24th still on offer. Been quoted €65 for 2 people and 2 bikes each way.

nic

« Reply #91 on: 03 August, 2010, 05:59:37 pm »
shared shuttle taxi on 15th and 24th still on offer. Been quoted €65 for 2 people and 2 bikes each way. nic

:o How much!
Can't you re-build your bike at the airport, then cycle to the hotel?

I used a tarpaulin and pipe lagging as a bike bag the last time I flew. I rolled up the pipe lagging in the tarpaulin and strapped it to a foldable rucksack which contained the rest of my luggage.

« Reply #92 on: 03 August, 2010, 06:31:33 pm »
I recently rode about 1,000km of the Mille Miglia route as a cycle touring holiday and photographic journey. From accounts I had read of the route it sounded like a good way to see a lot of Italy without having to plan the route yourself and from what I saw of the route you guys who are riding it later this month are in for a fantastic ride. PBP and LEL scenery looks very dull in comparison. I joined the route at Leg 4 and left it near the end of Leg 12, about 700km with detours totalling about 300k off route to towns I wanted to visit on the way: Perugia, Assisi, Pitigliano, San Gimignano, Siena and Florence.

I’ve compiled some thoughts which may or may not help you on your way. I flew to Bologna and rode along the Via Emilia to start the ride at Leg 4, Faenza-Dicomano. Faenza is famous for its ceramics and a large festival was about to start when I was there, drawing visitors from around the world.  I got the last bed available in town, at a cost of 80 euros, nearly double what the rest of the trip accommodation was.

On Leg 6 you will go through Caprese Michelangelo, the village where Michelangelo was born. I made the trip up the hill to his house, but you won’t have time on the actual ride. Super country around here, and this is the region where he painted some of his most famous works using the countryside as his backdrop.

There is very little flat riding between Leg 4 and Leg 12, with some major climbs and rolling hills. I only came across one hill at 15 per cent, when I went off-route, most of the others were 8-10 per cent. Lots of the controls are at hill-top towns with long, winding climbs to reach them. There are two splendid lakes to ride round, two controls at a smart lakeside resorts (Passignano and Bolsena) and a roadside spa with bathers in the hot flowing river (near Saturnia). You can’t actually see the spa without taking a 200 metre detour down a sideroad, but ten minutes later, on the climb out, if you look over your right shoulder there’s a good view of the spa and its bathers.

The routesheet was very unclear a few km before Saturnia (Leg 9), giving the impression that Saturnia was bypassed by going direct to Terme di Saturnia via a minor road. Ignore it at your peril and go through the town of Saturnia. The descent, on a narrow ribbed concrete road, was worthy of the Dartmoor Devil and I had my brakes full on all the way down. If it is dark you will be in big trouble.

There was an absolute hair-raising descent to a river crossing after Cinigiano on Leg 10. As I approached it I couldn’t believe my eyes, the river was about 100 metres wide and I envisaged wading across over the rocky riverbed. Fortunately, I realised there was a concrete road cutting through it and the water was only about four inches deep, so I rode through. I guess by this time of year it will only be a trickle, but be warned if you arrive there when it’s dark.

On Leg 11 there is the famous “White Road” or Eroica. The Giro had recently gone through here after heavy rain and they all looked like ghouls, covered in white mud when they finished. I was looking forward to this section, but due to my navigational error from the crappy routesheet I missed it completely. I could have retraced for about 10km but Siena was up the road and I was heading there for the night. Quite honestly, if you don’t want to do that stretch of Eroica you can just keep heading north on the main road and save yourself some time, but it could be one of the highlights of the route that you miss.

Leg 11 at 97 km is a long and tiring stage. You are in Tuscany now with some nice forested sections before the long climbs up to Radda in Chianti (nicknamed Chiantishire by the Italians due to the large influx of Brits who live there). Fantastic descent after Castellina Radda to Staggia Sienese. After this, I found the routesheet very confusing around Colle di Val d’Elsa, lots of ring-road type highways with confusing signposts – make sure you go into the actual town of Val d’Elsa and you’ll be OK. Then follows a long climb up to the extremely touristy town of San Gimingnano. Even in early June there were a lot of cars and buses squeezing past, not very pleasant. The picturesque hilltop town was heaving with tourists but I think you can take a road around the perimeter, not through the middle as I did.

I turned off the route here and made my way to Florence for a couple of nights and then rode back through the Appennines (Appeninnos) to Bologna for my flight home so I can’t comment on the route from here on.

Drivers' attitudes to cyclists
I found the standard of driving in Italy very high, contrary to opinions. Motorists would give me plenty of room and didn't try to overtake when it was narrow, like they do constantly in Britain. The only incident was when a white van screamed past a few inches from me on an open road with no traffic approaching. Ce la vie. White vanman lives everywhere. I get more "incidents" with cars buzzing me and chavs shouting at me on a 60km ride at home than I did in two weeks in Italy.

The routesheet
I downloaded the routesheet from the website, I didn’t use GPS so can’t comment on GPS accuracy. I don’t know if the organisers prepare a proper and accurate routesheet to hand out on the day, but the one I downloaded was very basic, nothing like an AUK one with TL, TR, SO and 3rd exit at RAB helping you along. Subsequently, leaving Faenza and looking for Villanova in 12k just didn’t happen. There were several right turns leading off into the country at around 12k, but no signposts of any help to match the routesheet.  Not a very good start. I carried on to the town of Forli where I could turn right and pick up the route at Rocca. I’m on holiday, I have plenty of time. It looked straightforward on the map, but I somehow took the wrong exit at a roundabout and ended up in Predappio, Mussolini’s home town. Rather than reroute through the hills, I decided to head for the control town of Dicomano via country roads, feeling a bit sorry that I would miss my first col, the pass of Muraglione, but my minor road route still climbed to the same altitude alongside the pass, so I didn’t feel too cheated. So, my first lesson, study the route more closely and check the roadsigns, which in this area were very sparse and I often was not sure if I was on the correct road. Made another mistake on leaving the control town of Dicomano, went totally in the wrong direction, north instead of south, for 10k when I decided to look at my compass and realised my mistake.

The scenery is getting really nice here as you head into Umbria (pronounce it "Ooom-bri-a" or the Italians won’t understand you) and the next col took me about three hours to the top. I was on a loaded touring bike and not too fit but you guys should knock at least an hour off that.

To sum up the routesheet, you will have to keep your wits about you all the time, it is very easy to take the wrong exit at a T junction or roundabout because the next town mentioned on the routesheet is often not signposted. I did not ride in the dark, so I can see how easy it is to get totally lost and asking directions in pidgin Italian takes a long time with often no one about to ask! I found the info on the routesheet , eg “via Forlivese,” or “via Michelangelo,” nearly always totally superfluous, hardly ever matching it to where I was on the road and no signposts mentioning them either.

Note to Mel: You are famous for going off-route, so take extra care or you’ll ending up doing 1800 km instead of 1600!

Road surfaces
Through Emilia-Romagna and Umbria, the surfaces were very much like Britain, broken up and badly patched, though the potholes were nowhere near as bad as Britain. The bit you cycle on, near the side, always seemed to be rough and I was glad I had 37mm tyres on for a bit of comfort. As soon as I crossed the border into Tuscany (Toscana) things changed. The road surfaces were generally in superb condition, nice and smooth. Funnily enough, the scenery changed too, from wooded hills and mountains all around you to more wide open spaces with hills and mountains on the horizon, looking very much like Wales.

Food and drink
I love Italian food, they certainly know how to make pasta and their pizzas are something else. As a veggie I often have trouble when abroad finding anything I like, especially in France. I’m not too keen on their coffee though, about an egg cup full of strong black. If you like a full cup to sit and savour, ask for an Americano. You’re really spoilt for choice with delicious Italian ice cream. Don’t rely on petrol stations for food, as we do here. The majority of them only sell petrol and oil, no food or drink is available.

Maps and compass
I used maps from Touring Club Italiano, which are very detailed at 1:200,000, like an OS map. If you are only using smaller scale maps torn from road books, you will be in trouble if you go off route as they are not detailed enough. I found my compass to be invaluable at times to make sure I was heading in the right direction.

Language
Essential to know a few get-you-by phrases. In the big towns and in hotels, English is fairly common, but off the beaten track, where most of the route goes, you won’t find many people who can speak English. With a map and a few phrases, you can get directions when lost. A small phrase book could be invaluable to you. (Can you tell me how to get to… ? “Pwo deermee kome arrivare” comes in very helpful. Phonetic spelling! Also Vorrei: “I would like …”) and Per favore "Please".

If you pack
The rail network seemed pretty good and you can take a bike with you, but you have to buy another same-price ticket for it. The few stations I looked at had only ticket machines, though major towns are fully manned.

Climate
I was riding in late May/early June and the temperature was just starting to warm up. It was similar to a hot English summer day. Come August the routesheet mentions 35-38 degrees, something we are not acclimatised to so you will need plenty of liquids. Two bidons on your bike and a spare bottle in your bag if room. I used one-litre bidons, holding 25 per cent more than standard ones, but had to buy expanding bottle cages to take them but it was well worth it. The Profile Design ones from St John St Cycles take a large bidon and grip it firmly. You may find cafés on-route where you can fill up, but don’t rely on them, they are few and far between.  A good source of water are the roadside springs. Some are non-potable so be aware.  The locals will be filling up dozens of plastic bottles with spring water so you know when it’s safe.

Bikes and airlines
I detest flying with a bike. I always get major hassle from whichever airline I use. Taking the train directly into Gatwick airport and in the lift straight into the airport – easy. Then the hassles start. North Terminal’s internal railway was out of action: buses are used which take you around public roads for a few miles to the other terminal. I intended to pack the bike up near the check-in as it’s easier to push a bike around than push a bike bag “You can’t bring that bike on the bus unless it’s in a bag.” OK, I get my tools out and start to strip the bike down when he relented and let me on. I put my bike in a large plastic BA bike bag, with pedals off and bars turned. They refused to accept it, even though they supplied me with the bag a few years ago. I intended to leave the bag hidden somewhere near the airport and retrieve it on the way back. Instead, I had to go and buy a large cardboard bike box for £17.50 and strip the bike down to get it in, leaving me only minutes to get my flight. What do I do with a large box when I get to Bologna? Left luggage wanted 125 euros to store it for a fortnight. I trawled round the airport, pushing a loaded bike with one hand and dragging the box with the other, looking for somewhere to hide it – fat chance! Eventually I found a cargo depot and after explaining that I had to have the box for the return journey, they stored it for me without charge. The workers there were really interested in where I was heading off to as well.
On my return I retrieved the box, loaded the bike and saddlebag, only for check-in to say it was 3kg overweight and wanted a large excess luggage fee. It was the same weight as when I left Gatwick.  Taking the bike out of the box, what can I take from the saddlebag to lighten the load? There is nothing of significant size/weight in it, so I end up with an armful of clothes, maps and bit and pieces. My handlebar bag across my shoulder is full with camera gear and I’ve nothing to put all the loose bits in. Load up the box again and struggle with it to a weighing machine where it is accepted. Make my way to passport control where I’m searched because my cleats set the alarm off. At least, they gave me a carrier bag to put all the loose bits in. I’m now in the queue to get on board when I hear my name over the Tannoy. “Please report back to customs.” Rush all the way back:  “There is a problem with your luggage.” I am led through a maze of corridors and stairways to a cargo bay. The BA staff say “Your luggage it too big to go through the X-ray machine. You will have to open it.” It’s quite clearly a bike box, with “Bicycle” printed in large letters all over it. “Why didn’t you open it yourself?” I say. It was only taped up with microporous tape, as I had nothing else to use. “We are not allowed to,” was the reply. I open the box, he looks in, “Oh, it’s a bike.” I catch my flight with seconds to spare.
The hassle didn’t end there. I arrive at East Croydon station and alight with bike box. I’m about 200 metres up at the far end of the platform and with a further 50 metre ramp to climb at the end. I ask the station staff where the trolleys are. “They’ve all been stolen and we haven’t replaced them.” This is a major station, probably one of the largest and busiest outside of central London. Nothing for it but to take the bike out of the box, leave the box on the platform, and push my bike out to the road with the mudguard jammed on the tyre. Welcome to Britain.

Bon voyage et bon courage!

« Reply #93 on: 03 August, 2010, 06:58:51 pm »

Thanks for all of that. I'm looking forward to it even more now. I'll be off to Stamfords to buy some maps this weekend and will be studying the routenext week.

Bikes and airlines
I detest flying with a bike. I always get major hassle from whichever airline I use. Taking the train directly into Gatwick airport and in the lift straight into the airport – easy. Then the hassles start. North Terminal’s internal railway was out of action: buses are used which take you around public roads for a few miles to the other terminal. I intended to pack the bike up near the check-in as it’s easier to push a bike around than push a bike bag “You can’t bring that bike on the bus unless it’s in a bag.” OK, I get my tools out and start to strip the bike down when he relented and let me on. I put my bike in a large plastic BA bike bag, with pedals off and bars turned. They refused to accept it, even though they supplied me with the bag a few years ago. I intended to leave the bag hidden somewhere near the airport and retrieve it on the way back. Instead, I had to go and buy a large cardboard bike box for £17.50 and strip the bike down to get it in, leaving me only minutes to get my flight. What do I do with a large box when I get to Bologna? Left luggage wanted 125 euros to store it for a fortnight. I trawled round the airport, pushing a loaded bike with one hand and dragging the box with the other, looking for somewhere to hide it – fat chance! Eventually I found a cargo depot and after explaining that I had to have the box for the return journey, they stored it for me without charge. The workers there were really interested in where I was heading off to as well.
On my return I retrieved the box, loaded the bike and saddlebag, only for check-in to say it was 3kg overweight and wanted a large excess luggage fee. It was the same weight as when I left Gatwick.  Taking the bike out of the box, what can I take from the saddlebag to lighten the load? There is nothing of significant size/weight in it, so I end up with an armful of clothes, maps and bit and pieces. My handlebar bag across my shoulder is full with camera gear and I’ve nothing to put all the loose bits in. Load up the box again and struggle with it to a weighing machine where it is accepted. Make my way to passport control where I’m searched because my cleats set the alarm off. At least, they gave me a carrier bag to put all the loose bits in. I’m now in the queue to get on board when I hear my name over the Tannoy. “Please report back to customs.” Rush all the way back:  “There is a problem with your luggage.” I am led through a maze of corridors and stairways to a cargo bay. The BA staff say “Your luggage it too big to go through the X-ray machine. You will have to open it.” It’s quite clearly a bike box, with “Bicycle” printed in large letters all over it. “Why didn’t you open it yourself?” I say. It was only taped up with microporous tape, as I had nothing else to use. “We are not allowed to,” was the reply. I open the box, he looks in, “Oh, it’s a bike.” I catch my flight with seconds to spare.
The hassle didn’t end there. I arrive at East Croydon station and alight with bike box. I’m about 200 metres up at the far end of the platform and with a further 50 metre ramp to climb at the end. I ask the station staff where the trolleys are. “They’ve all been stolen and we haven’t replaced them.” This is a major station, probably one of the largest and busiest outside of central London. Nothing for it but to take the bike out of the box, leave the box on the platform, and push my bike out to the road with the mudguard jammed on the tyre. Welcome to Britain.

Bon voyage et bon courage!

Yes.
That's why I've booked a train from Paris to Milan.
Flying is too much hassle.
Ferry to Dieppe, cycle to Paris then train to Milan. It'll take longer, but I won't have my best bike mangled by baggage handlers and I'll enjoy the few days rather than endure a day or so and I reckon I have more chance of keeping my bike in tact or even keeping hold of it.

pascalb

« Reply #94 on: 03 August, 2010, 08:08:13 pm »
Thanks a lot for all devices given to willesden guy.
A good way for a french frog to updated his understanding level!
To teethgrinder,
I do expect to take train from PARIS EST  to MILANO via ZURICH on sunday 15 th (already got my train tickets).
PARIS EST starting time at 10.24 am, arrival time to MILANO at 6.50 p.m.). Then I think to go with my bike to  POLI HOTEL by road .Is there any way to arrange travelling together either from PARIS or MILANO?
Does anyone found other mistakes from GPS file being availalbe from official website?

« Reply #95 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »

To teethgrinder,
I do expect to take train from PARIS EST  to MILANO via ZURICH on sunday 15 th (already got my train tickets).
PARIS EST starting time at 10.24 am, arrival time to MILANO at 6.50 p.m.). Then I think to go with my bike to  POLI HOTEL by road .Is there any way to arrange travelling together either from PARIS or MILANO?

My ticket is for the 0742 departing from Paris Gare Lyon on 15th August, arriving at Milano Centrale at 1450. I preferred to get an early train that was direct rather than mess about with changing trains and connections.

I haven't looked into anything for this ride other than how I'll get there and back home again. I'll plan getting to and from the train stations in Paris and Milan in the next two weeks, along with studying the route, buying maps for the ride and doing a bike bagging dummy run.
I don't fancy hanging around the train station for 4 hours. As soon as I get off the train I'll rebuild my bike (unless I'm hungry, in which case I'll eat first) and go straight to the hotel bar and wait for nic.

I'll use googlemaps to plan the ride from Milan train station to the hotel and print directions and a map, or very possibly buy a good map of Milan when I go map shopping on Saturday seeing as I'll be spending a day or two in Milan after the ride.

If you're desporate, I could give you my mobile phone number and you can call me when you get to Milan and I could show you how to get to the hotel, as long as it's not mega miles. I'll need to spend some time eating in preperation for the ride. ;D
I doubt it will be very far though.

I am reluctant to bring the mobile phone though. I believe they cost a fortune if they are used abroad. Am I right?
But if it's really is worthwhile, then I will.

If you don't allready know, according to what I read on Seat 61 website, you'll need to pack your bike into something (I'll buy a cheap DHB bike bag from Wiggle) less than 120 by 90cm to get it onto the train. They don't officially take bikes, but the verdict seems to be that as long as you can fit it in the luggage allowance dimentions, you'll be OK.
You'd need to remove the wheels and not have mudguards to comply unless you have a special fold up bike. Possibly need to lower the saddle too.
You're allowed 2 big bags and a small hand bag on the TGV train. I reckon my bike bag with the wheels either side of the frame and my rack top bag should be enough

« Reply #96 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:52:04 pm »

Thanks for all of that. I'm looking forward to it even more now. I'll be off to Stamfords to buy some maps this weekend and will be studying the routenext week.

Teethgrinder

The three maps I used were Touring Club Italiano Emilia Romagna No. 6, Umbria e Marche No. 8, and an older one, Toscana. You might need a couple of others for the northern section, where I didn't ride. These are large, rather unwieldy maps to use on the road and a lot of the route is duplicated on two of the maps. I sliced down the middle of one to save space and weight, not needing the other half.

I traced the route thoroughly with a highlighter, which was very helpful to quickly find where you are and to see where you have to go next.

I found the maps to be pretty accurate, but arriving at a T junction at the E78 which was shown as a XR was confusing (Leg 6, after Anghiari at 29.5 km). No roads opposite in sight, so I approached a carabineri, who, against my better judgment, said turn right. I did and took the next left which took me round three sides of a square, through an industrial estate, and back to the main road again. So, turn left again for about 2km, with factories both sides, and then left to Gricignano. Shortly R at XR and past the bar and follow to Pistrino. It's a bit tricky through here with minor roads and villages to traverse, wouldn't like to do it in the dark.

Next, the routesheet says go to Trestina, but the route forks in Trestina town centre with no directions to the next town. I asked two sets of locals whether to take the left or right fork (didn't believe the first lot) but they both pointed me back the way I had come from for about 1km to Cornetto (luvverly name) and I finally found my way from there. It's so easy to lose hours of time on this route, not only by going wrong, but asking for directions and unfolding and refolding the map.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #97 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:06:50 pm »
I am reluctant to bring the mobile phone though. I believe they cost a fortune if they are used abroad. Am I right?

Generally, the trick is not to make / receive any telephone calls or check your voice mail, just send/receive txt.  On my monthly 02 account, overseas txts are charged at a rate of 1:4, i.e., each overseas txt is charged as 4 UK txt. As the contract includes 1000 txts a month this is hardly a problem! As usual, you need to check your own contract / PAYG details.

« Reply #98 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:09:19 pm »
Thanks.

I intend to mark the route on my maps and most importantly, the controls and then get to the controls by hook or by crook via whichever route is easiest to follow, even if it's a few extra miles.
I may bring the bar bag into play with it's transparrent map case to save time folding, unfolding, packing and unpacking the map.

« Reply #99 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:12:35 pm »

Generally, the trick is not to make / receive any telephone calls or check your voice mail, just send/receive txt.  On my monthly 02 account, overseas txts are charged at a rate of 1:4, i.e., each overseas txt is charged as 4 UK txt. As the contract includes 1000 txts a month this is hardly a problem! As usual, you need to check your own contract / PAYG details.

Cheers.
I just fired up the phone my mum was going to throw away. It's a PAYG. It's got some money on it now and I might as well use it all up as I probably won't use the phone much at all. Less than once a month anyway. I just don't want to end up pouring money into it for a few minutes worth of chatting.
I'll have to learn how to send a text now, I suppose. Never had a mobile phone before...