Author Topic: Flattest Possible DIY 600 (19th/20th July - clashes with Dun Run)  (Read 13314 times)

Following on from: http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=48617.15

I'm planning a DIY 600 using the Flattest Possible 300 for the final leg, its 2am start time is perfect as it gives a 6am Saturday start for a preceding 300.

This ride will finish off my SRfixed and goes over very gentle terrain. Nowhere near as nasty as the other rides that made up this possible SR (Willy Warmer 200, The Dean 300, Severn Across 400).

Since it is also the day of the Dun Run it'll probably piss it down but last year's FP300 didn't exactly start off very dry.

Start at 6am Saturday 19th July in Putney. Controls would be something like:-

0km ATM next to Putney Rail Station
39km Petrol Station in Broxbourne
101km Tesco on Newmarket Road, Cambridge
140km Petrol Station in Broxbourne
202km ATM next to Putney Rail Station (this section is actually 212km the route I use)
261km Royal Tunbridge Wells
300km Bethersden for 2am start of Calendar ride
604km Finish and hand Brevet cards and receipts straight to Andy Uttley (if he's manning the finish control like he was last year) :)

Likely to be more like 630km on the road distance. But not much climbing at all:-
  • Putney -> Cambridge -> Putney is 1400m at most.
  • Putney -> RTW -> Bethersden is probably 1000m
  • FP300 is somewhere between 1500m and 2000m

So that's somewhere between 3900m and 4400m for a 600.

An gentle 11 hour ride up to Cambridge and back (my usual pace) would give 9 hours to do the 100km to Bethersden. Knock that off in about 6 hours (including brief pitstop and refuel at Chez GB in Putney if required) and get a couple of hours kip outside the village hall in Bethersden before the 300. I'd then plan on a little kip at Dungeness before the final 80km to the finish).

Non-Putney start is easily possible, you'd just have to pick a couple of controls to get you to Cambridge with 100km done and start at 6am. I'd expect to get to Cambridge between 10.30am and 11am. Last year I finished the FP300 at 6.30pm and was back at Waterloo by 9pm.

Ron Lee (FP 300 Organiser) has given me the OK to use the ride as part of a DIY 600 (although anyone else entering should ask the same from him). Just got to sort out the final control list and DIY entry to Andy and I'll be set.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Martin

Re: Flattest Possible DIY 600 (19th/20th July - clashes with Dun Run)
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2008, 02:58:28 pm »
doing the 300  :thumbsup:

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2008, 06:42:19 pm »
As hinted at before, I'm in. I'll contact Ron Lee and check with him as you suggest.

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:36:59 pm »
Putney to Cambridge: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/71351

Reverse is pretty much the same although I usually come back over the Elmdon climb rather than Chrishall. There are also some one way bits near Tottenham and another in Borough.

Putney to Bethersden (provisional): http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/104845

I want to do this as a DIY 100 (to Ashford to ensure distance) one evening soon. Probably next week.

Last year's FP300 route (this year may be different so don't trust this completely!): http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/56227

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:41:54 pm »
If I ride the DD as a 600 perm, it might work out for me to overlay my Cambridge -> Hackney leg with your return from Cambridge. Still looking at logistics at the mo.

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2008, 02:40:37 pm »
Reminds me. Andy U has agreed the distances. So here's what you need if you're going to be joining me (still on for it Scottlington?).

Start: 6am Saturday 19th July outside Putney Rail Station.

163km Petrol Station in Broxbourne
202km ATM next to Putney Rail Station (this section is actually 212km the route I use)
604km Finish and hand Brevet cards and receipts straight to Andy Uttley (if he's manning the finish control like he was last year) :)

It's a nominal 600 so there's no extra time for the overdistance first half (probably only 15km over). A 15kph minimum average speed (because that's what the Calendar event uses) gives a 6am start on the Saturday.

I still haven't had a chance to try out the route between Putney and Bethersden, but I'll hopefully give that a bash in a few weeks time.

So. Instructions on how to enter:

1) Get permission from Ron Lee (FP300 organiser) to use his ride as part of a DIY 600. He's happy for me to do this so I would assume he'll be happy for others too.
2) Enter the FP300 as normal (i.e. signed entry form and payment to Ron!).
3) Print off a blank AUK entry form and fill it in as follows:-

Name of Event: Flattest Possible DIY 600
Dist: 600km
Date: 19th July 2008
Fee: £0
AUK Membership No, Name, Address, Tel, email, DA/Club, Signed (Entrant), Date, Next of Kin: all as usual

On the back of the form put:-

"
Controls as agreed for Alex Greenbank:-

163km Petrol Station in Broxbourne
300km Bethersden. Calendar event Brevet card
600km Finish of calendar event. Brevet card will be submitted as proof.
"

4) SIGN THE FORM and send it to Andy Uttley as soon as possible (you MUST do this before you do the ride!). His address can be found here: http://www.aukweb.net/cal/perms/calsolo.php?Ride=AU03.

Proof of passage will be garage/shop receipts or ATM receipts. The only one I don't know about is RTW but I can't imagine it'll be hard to find something there.

I'll be getting the train back to London from Pluckley (about 4.5km from the finish). These are hourly (31 minutes past the hour) until 9.31pm, with one extra late night train at 10.01pm. Finishing just within time will mean no train home but I'll deal with that in the unlikely event that it happens. I was finished by 6.30pm last year and I wasn't that fit at all. Even with 300km extra in my legs I don't think I'll be far off that time.

You'll need a DIY Brevet card. If you don't already have a stash then these are available from the DIY Organisers. See the AUK Handbook for more details. I usually have some spares if absolutely necessary.

Routes/notes available when I've had a chance to ride the Putney -> RTW -> Bethersden leg (as a DIY 100).

[EDIT] Yes, 140km should have been 163km. Corrected. Ta.

scottlington

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2008, 01:26:49 pm »
Reminds me. Andy U has agreed the distances. So here's what you need if you're going to be joining me (still on for it Scottlington?).

Absolutely! I'll follow your instructions and get everything sorted. One thing to note though - your distances for one of the controls is incorrect. The second stop at the petrol station in Broxbourne should be 163Km not 140Km. going on the basis that going from Broxbourne to Cambridge is listed at 62Km but only 39Km on the way back...

Maladict

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2008, 02:14:49 pm »

This distance looks wrong - should be symmetrical as that's out-and-back.  163km or so?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2008, 09:16:39 pm »
Umm - just back from a Greek hol. - but SWMBO is away in July - new grandchild in OZ - so I have flexibility for my cycling. Can do a very nice 107 across to Cambridge - Cherry Hinton -- so I will check diary - engage brain and see whether it makes any sense.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:33:49 pm »
Yup, it should have been 163km for Broxbourne.

Mr Buzz. 100km to Cambridge from somewhere else would work well as long as we get there roughly around the same time. The 6am start time is immovable because it has to tally up with the Sunday 2am start of the Calendar event. Unless the weather is dire I'd expect to be in Cambridge for 11am (and it's about 106km from Putney).

I was thinking of stopping somewhere else for food rather than the Cambridge Tesco as its Cafe was a bit dire when I used it once before (I'd still use the Tesco as a control but I'd be in and out quickly to get a receipt).

So, assuming a receipt-and-go in Cambridge I'd be looking for a cafe or pub lunch not long after mid-day. There are plenty of pubs in and around the Chrishall/Elmdon/Langley area (I've still got a list of recommendations from mike from before).

Maladict

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2008, 02:44:26 pm »
Egg fried rice from The Wrestlers.  :thumbsup:

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2008, 04:04:32 pm »
Well, having done 700, I am now thinking that if I do 500 then I only have 100 ride and I can get a nice series of medals for this year or something (100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700).

But I'd have to work out how as doing Putney - Bethersden 300 - Putney will get me back to London at 2:00am on a Sunday (approx), not clever, whereas working out 100km route from near here to Putney isn't necessarily train-ticket efficient. 

I mayn't be free that weekend anyway, or I could go for the Dun Run option and pad that out instead, starting out by going northwards to add in further km, the advantage being I can finish apud meum.

But it has to be said that having company for any (night) ride is a definite bonus.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »
Well, having done 700, I am now thinking that if I do 500 then I only have 100 ride and I can get a nice series of medals for this year or something (100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700).
I don't think there's a badge for 700s. What fool suggested you do one?!?

Actually I still fancy the idea of a 500; a nice distance/time for us tortoises. You get to go somewhere impressive*, but won't wipe you out like a 6 (or a 7...) Might try it in September or next spring.

*Not like Putney.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Maladict

« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2008, 05:53:40 pm »
I don't think there's a badge for 700s. What fool suggested you do one?!?

Actually I still fancy the idea of a 500; a nice distance/time for us tortoises. You get to go somewhere impressive*, but won't wipe you out like a 6 (or a 7...) Might try it in September or next spring.

*Not like Putney.

I think the idea came from toothy.  700 = 13.3kph instead of 14.3 => perhaps easier than a 600 since you can get more sleep time (or in your case, faff time).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2008, 06:24:37 pm »
I think the idea came from toothy.  700 = 13.3kph instead of 14.3 => perhaps easier than a 600 since you can get more sleep time (or in your case, faff time).
ACKSHURLY I think yours truly suggested it to Arabella. I'd noticed that toothy liked doing 800s last year, whilst I thought 7 was more sensible. I think the points-chaser tended to finish his 800s in about the same time I take for 6; thus my theory is that he didn't need the extra sleep time, but it was handy as a backup so he'd be unlikely to end the weekend with "null points".
I'm grateful to Arabella for testing this plan out, as I still fancy doing one locally myself.

they'll both tell me I'm wrong shortly ....
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:05:18 pm »
Indeed it was MattC who suggested it to me.  I think it's like a 1000 with 150km less at each end (well, it was with the timing I used of lunchtime-lunchtime)

500 round the dun run sounds a better idea at the moment as it finishes next to my lovely cosy bed ...  :D 

Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:56:25 pm »
So what next:

LEL or
the TG 600 series (July-June)?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #17 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:03:52 pm »
600 series ::-)  do you think I'm daft  :o
LEL, of course, I even have a plan (see relevant thread)

and the 500 route is shaping up nicely if any other east anglians are tempted
leave Ipswich 7:00am and start off gently
eat cakes in Halesworth 9:30am
proceed via Eye cashpoint to Ixworth 12:00 (somebody care to suggest a control there where I can have a reasonable lunch?)
head into London via Saffron Walden (4:00pm) and some tea or something
slight detour via Stoke Newington (8:30pm)
arrive London Fields about 9pm and have a quick rest
reuse last years controls of Gt Dunmow (00:30) and Needham Market (4:30am) on the way to Dunwich (7:00am) with a stop at the Lavenham restoration station on the way past
finally return via Bressingham (there's a cafe there though of course it'll not be open at 9:30am on a Sunday ...) to Ipswich in time for lunch (noon onwards).

which comes in at 501km in autoroute  O:-)

Maladict

« Reply #18 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:25:48 pm »
My 400 planz involve hopefully getting to London Fields a bit earlier (8pm say) and setting off earlyish rather than lateish.  Want to escape Lunnon and the zombies whilst it's still light.

scottlington

« Reply #19 on: 20 June, 2008, 12:49:22 pm »
Ron Lee (FP 300 Organiser) has given me the OK to use the ride as part of a DIY 600 (although anyone else entering should ask the same from him). Just got to sort out the final control list and DIY entry to Andy and I'll be set.

Received necessary permission! As soon as I receive a blank brevet card, I'll post entry. Greenbank, presumably you going to finalise the exact route between the control points? I'll need to get it loaded into the GPS.

« Reply #20 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:29:02 pm »
As soon as I receive a blank brevet card, I'll post entry.

Eh? You don't need a blank Brevet to do anything but submit the ride afterwards. I always collect receipts on the DIY portion so there's no need to have a card to collect stamps, and for the Flattest Possible 300 we'll be using the supplied event Brevet card.

Greenbank, presumably you going to finalise the exact route between the control points? I'll need to get it loaded into the GPS.

Yup, but I'll do that closer to the time. Putney -> Cambridge is no problem as I've done that about 10 times so far as DIYs and I know what to put on the GPS at the appropriate places.

It's pretty much this:-

Bicycle Path - PUTCAM at Bikely.com

I need to ride the Putney -> RTW -> Bethersden section soon so I know what to expect, and the FP300 section(s) will be just making a GPS route based on the routesheet (I also have the tracklog from last year too assuming it's the same).

scottlington

« Reply #21 on: 20 June, 2008, 05:25:21 pm »
As soon as I receive a blank brevet card, I'll post entry.

Eh? You don't need a blank Brevet to do anything but submit the ride afterwards. I always collect receipts on the DIY portion so there's no need to have a card to collect stamps, and for the Flattest Possible 300 we'll be using the supplied event Brevet card.
Er, yes...silly comment by me. It is Friday....

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #22 on: 04 July, 2008, 07:36:07 am »
Greenbank - the DIY 600 just doesnt work for me - as I end up in a buggers muddle about getting back to Norwich. But I will do the 300  -- so see you there - and if you are going to GPS the 300 -- could you please chuck me a copy of your file.
Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #23 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:56:51 am »
Will do, I'll also start a new thread for the actual Calendar event and post it over there:-

Flattest Possible 300/200/150/100/50 20-JUL-08

scottlington

« Reply #24 on: 04 July, 2008, 01:06:57 pm »
Greenbank - at this risk of asking a silly question again.... I've sent off my entry for the FP300 and printed of my entry for the full 600 - do I send this to anybody? You? Do I bring it on the day, or send it afterwards... DIY newbie questions!