Author Topic: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 how difficult will it be?  (Read 13215 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 how difficult will it be?
« on: 20 October, 2009, 02:10:17 pm »
Here is a brief analysis of the Mille Cymru and how difficult it will be based on the route here
I don't want to put anyone off but as a lot of people are planning their season around it, let's take a look....

bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator

The headline climbing figure is an eye watering 13,500 metres.  Or to put it another way over 8 miles straight up.  Or 150% times the height of mount Everest.  I do note that John went to the Himalayas this year.
So the average climbing over the entire route will be 13.17 metres per km
By comparison, the climbing figures per km for the Kernow and South West 600 is 13.66 and the Bryan Chapman Scenic is 13.71
So the climbing per km on the Mille Cymru is similar to the climbing per km on a tough 600

That's the bad news.  The good news is that the speed requirements for the 1000 are lower, 13.333km/h. 
Doing a 600 at this speed would give an additional 5 hours over the usual 600 speed of 15km/h
So if you can do a BCM scenic or a K&SW in less than 40 hours then a possible way of looking at the Mille Cymru might be to do the first 600 in 40 hours, have an 8 hour rest and then do the last 400 in the remaining 27 hours

I must admit the only time I did the BCM scenic it took me over 40 hours.   But I am cautiously optimistic that this ride is at least possible

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 how difficult will it be?
« Reply #1 on: 20 October, 2009, 03:12:14 pm »
So it's the equivalent of doing the Kernow & SW, a bit of a kip then The Porkers 400.

That's put my mind at rest - for a while I thought it was going to be a toughie.

;)

H

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #2 on: 20 October, 2009, 03:48:47 pm »
Yes there does seem to have been a lot of interest. I initially wrote it off as being too hard but being close to home and on fairly familiar territory would help but I'd have to do some serious training for it which for me is ok for now as I have the time but very difficult during the spring.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »
It will be LEGENDARY.

I am hungry for it.  Bring that bad boy on.

SPARTAAAAA!

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2009, 05:27:24 pm »
I don't want to put anyone off ....

On the contrary - it just sounds even more unmissable!

« Reply #5 on: 20 October, 2009, 05:49:15 pm »
I must admit the only time I did the BCM scenic it took me over 40 hours. 
Fixed ?

If I attempt this ride I plan to make up time going downhill very fast shouting 'wheeeeeeeeeeeee' as i go

« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2009, 05:50:02 pm »
It sounds amazing, but if all goes well then I'll be on baby changing duties by then and won't have the chance to get anywhere near fit enough.  I will try and get a leave pass to help out though - perhaps set up a maintenance facility at Aberystwyth and do some controlling, or maybe provide moto support, depending on what's needed the most.

« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2009, 06:06:31 pm »
I purposely booked my residential OU course (MSXR209) to start on 24th July (until 30th July).

:)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 20 October, 2009, 06:16:25 pm »
Interesting that the BCM Scenic and K&SW600 come out at similar m/km

The BCM Scenic isn't easy, but the K&SW600 is in a different league IMO (this maybe an artifact of riding fixed). 

In answer to the original Q though - f'in.  Happy to help.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #9 on: 20 October, 2009, 09:59:04 pm »
And here's the official route...

The headline climbing figure is an eye watering 13,500 metres.  Or to put it another way over 8 miles straight up. 

Based on a rough contour count. Will soon have enough GPS files to get a proper figure.

And elevation profiles...

Pt1, North Wales

Pt2, West Wales

Pt3, Mid Wales

And finally, home to The Shire

I do note that John went to the Himalayas this year.
Not as good training for Welsh hills as you might think.

a possible way of looking at the Mille Cymru might be to do the first 600 in 40 hours, have an 8 hour rest and then do the last 400 in the remaining 27 hours

The idea is it's a 3 day tour with the first 3 legs being 305k, 295k and 285k respectively. Sleep each night at Aberystwyth and then a final bash home for Monday morning.

Yes there does seem to have been a lot of interest.
A mixture of fear and excitement in roughly equal portions judging from the responses I've had so far.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #10 on: 20 October, 2009, 10:01:39 pm »
I will try and get a leave pass to help out though - perhaps set up a maintenance facility at Aberystwyth and do some controlling, or maybe provide moto support, dpending on what's needed the most.

Tewdric, that would be most appreciated. You're on the list. I'll be in touch in the New Year...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #11 on: 20 October, 2009, 10:07:42 pm »
The idea is it's a 3 day tour with the first 3 legs being 305k, 295k and 285k respectively. Sleep each night at Aberystwyth and then a final bash home for Monday morning.
:thumbsup:
That's how otherdave and I did our 1,000k DIY last year. Three legs of roughly 300k each day, home every night for a cuddle  :-X, then a quick 100k on the last day.

Not as "scenic" as yours though. It looks a brilliant route. A mixture of fear and excitement feels about right.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #12 on: 20 October, 2009, 11:41:50 pm »
Hoorah!

I have a green light for this one.  :thumbsup:

Just need to organise a string of them to get me from November to July.  :-\

H

simonp

« Reply #13 on: 21 October, 2009, 12:43:03 am »
Well, I asked me, and I said "yes".  :smug:

It really all depends on the nature of the climbing.  But I've done that first bit up to Anglesey before, it's the start of the Irish Mail 400.  I recall a figure of ~2500m climbing in 100km, with the climb to Bwlch y Groes being one of the harder climbs I've done so far.  I do think Mr Hamilton will have something nice in store for us.

Word to the wise: look carefully at his route.  In a similar manner to the BCM Scenic having some gratuitous hills, the Irish Mail 400 took you up completely unnecessary 1:6 climbs that the BCM 2004 would skirt round.

I will probably go for VFM and ride the official route as usual.

DanialW

« Reply #14 on: 21 October, 2009, 06:38:28 am »
My entry is in. This event looks tough, but also rather civilised.

John's one of our more thoughtful organisers, so I expect a well-judged route. On paper, it looks very good indeed. Though hard work, natch.

« Reply #15 on: 21 October, 2009, 10:32:25 am »
How many entries do you have so far John?

I'm definately entering, but I'd put it to the back of my mind until at least January. However I notice it's a max of 60 and don't want to miss out LEL-style.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 21 October, 2009, 02:53:12 pm »
Interesting that the BCM Scenic and K&SW600 come out at similar m/km

The BCM Scenic isn't easy, but the K&SW600 is in a different league IMO (this maybe an artifact of riding fixed). 
Yup, that sounds about right - just based on my limited knowledge of SW hills. The short-sharp stuff wears you out, not Llanberis Pass type roads.

Looking purely at the shape of John's posted profiles, day 2 looks the worst (and I remember how tough the coastal bit of the BC400 was, so am expecting similar).

this is still tempting - bale-out options look civilised!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #17 on: 21 October, 2009, 03:23:25 pm »
And here's the official route...

That's a lot of chevrons. Wouldn't it be easier to go the other way (or would you have to give up 13.5AAA to do it that way round)?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #18 on: 21 October, 2009, 04:21:26 pm »
I know they have dragons in Wales. Could this be the welsh long-eared bat? :)

JohnHamilton

« Reply #19 on: 21 October, 2009, 10:43:13 pm »
Looking purely at the shape of John's posted profiles, day 2 looks the worst (and I remember how tough the coastal bit of the BC400 was, so am expecting similar).

That's what I reckon as well. Lots of short sharp climbs. Each of the 3 legs works out roughly the same total climbing though.

How many entries do you have so far John?

I'm definately entering, but I'd put it to the back of my mind until at least January. However I notice it's a max of 60 and don't want to miss out LEL-style.

6 so far. Don't think I'll be sold out by January & I'll keep the forum abreast of how it's filling up. I'm restricting numbers so as not to overwhelm the sleeping facilities at AberWristWatch - space is limited.

It really all depends on the nature of the climbing.  But I've done that first bit up to Anglesey before, it's the start of the Irish Mail 400.  I recall a figure of ~2500m climbing in 100km, with the climb to Bwlch y Groes being one of the harder climbs I've done so far.  I do think Mr Hamilton will have something nice in store for us.

Not quite. Different route after the Bwlch past Llyn Celyn to Betws y Coed. That gated road was probably too much on a 1000.

I'll be at the AGM if anyone wants to grill me in person.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #20 on: 21 October, 2009, 11:05:45 pm »

simonp

« Reply #21 on: 22 October, 2009, 12:20:38 am »
Aww I liked that gated road.

Will pop an entry in the post at the weekend.

:thumbsup:

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #22 on: 22 October, 2009, 06:49:02 am »
I drive that Llanrhystud to carmarthen road once a week in the summer. It's scenic in both senses and I've often thought about riding it but never had a good excuse. It will be a cracking ride.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #23 on: 22 October, 2009, 09:26:22 am »
Plz to make the evil audax goblins stop talking to me.

I do not need to enter a 1000km audax, 2010 is going to be a chillled out year.

« Reply #24 on: 22 October, 2009, 07:37:46 pm »
Plz to make the evil audax goblins stop talking to me.

Yes, but you're thiking of doing PBP 2011, so doing an SR this year would be jolly handy for getting you into PBP. So you might as well do it properly and do the 1000 while you're at it.
It'll most likely be like the Bryan Chapman, just as a 1000 though, not a 600. You do get a slower minimum speed though. You still have over 300 days for chilling out if you do all that, so it's no big deal really. In fact, this will help you appreciate the chilling out bit. ;D