Author Topic: Your super powerful rear lights  (Read 33299 times)

Re: Your super powerful rear lights
« Reply #50 on: 13 November, 2010, 06:43:13 pm »
Two new rear lights, which I haven't seen mentioned here (probably because the thread died out 12 months ago!):

(i) Exposure Lights - Flare, which is powered by a CR123A disposable, or RC123A rechargeable.  Exposure quotes 75 lumens output, which is pretty damned bright.

(ii) Light & Motion Vis 180, which is powered by an internal Li-Ion cell, and seems to require a micro-USB connection to charge it up (as far as I can see no charger is supplied, but I could be wrong).  It's quoted as having an output of 35 lumens, which is still quote bright.

The Flare seems to be primarily intended to be fitted to seat-posts, whereas the Vis 180 looks like it's mainly meant to be fitted to seat-stays (and other relatively thin tubing), although possibly seat posts can be used as well (it's hard to say without actually looking at it).

The Vis 180 interestingly has side amber lights, whereas the Flare only seems to scatter some of it's single P4 emitter off to the sides.

If you've got the 10% discount at ChainReaction currently (which a lot of people have for the next few days), then the Flare is £36 from them (disposable battery option), and the Vis 180 would be £81.

I haven't seen either of these yet, but they look interesting (although probably not for group rides).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #51 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:21:39 pm »
Another not for group rides, but reassuring for the lone commuter is the RSP Astrum. Looks similar to the 1/2W Smart one, but with two LEDs side-by-side. Goes for £13-15.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #52 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:32:01 pm »
I have all sorts of rear lights.

Smart Superflash 1/2W: mine's been totally reliable and lives on the commuting bike
Halfords super bright LED: small and has a BS compliant reflector but very unreliable.  I have one working one left (of three) on the clubman.
Cateye TL-AU100BS: reliable but totally outclassed these days.  I thought mine had lost its main LED but no, it really is that weak.
All other Cateyes died very quickly because they're made from cheese.
FibreFlare long: this is an odd thing indeed.  In flashing mode it's unmissable and frankly rather offensive to anyone behind.  In steady mode mattc describes it as "oddly comforting"; it's a bit like a one bar electric fire to look at.  Pretty useless in fog as it has no real lens and throws no penetrating beam.

If I ever see one, the ultimate rear light has to be the Energizer halogen.  It's simply the 2.4W front light with a red lens.  Psychotic.  Unlike a "half watt" LED which actually pulls an average of about 0.005W based on battery life, this really is 2.4W and will flatten 4 x AA NiMH cells in two hours.  But you could ride backwards with the beam  8)

EDIT: gosh - they haven't made these in 15 years!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #53 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:37:48 pm »

If I ever see one, the ultimate rear light has to be the Energizer halogen.  It's simply the 2.4W front light with a red lens.  Psychotic.  Unlike a "half watt" LED which actually pulls an average of about 0.005W based on battery life, this really is 2.4W and will flatten 4 x AA NiMH cells in two hours.  But you could ride backwards with the beam  8)

You've clearly never ridden behind a Dinotte or similar!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

rogerzilla

« Reply #54 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:52:52 pm »
I have.  What power do they actually draw?  It would need to be almost 1 watt to equal a 2.4W halogen (rule of thumb; LEDs are about three times more efficient).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »
FibreFlare long: this is an odd thing indeed.  In flashing mode it's unmissable and frankly rather offensive to anyone behind.  In steady mode mattc describes it as "oddly comforting"; it's a bit like a one bar electric fire to look at.  Pretty useless in fog as it has no real lens and throws no penetrating beam.

I'd agree with that assessment.  When I first met one, I was underwhelmed by the general lack of brightness, but having ridden with people using them I've realised that they're surprisingly effective at standing out in city clutter.  Best used in combination with something sensible like a Superflash, though.

The Radbot 1000 hasn't been mentioned yet.  Discussed at length in this thread.  It has an 'oddly comforting' sinusoidal throb mode.  Notable features are that it's about twice as bright as a Superflash, and uses the same brackets.

« Reply #56 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:15:36 pm »
I have.  What power do they actually draw?  It would need to be almost 1 watt to equal a 2.4W halogen (rule of thumb; LEDs are about three times more efficient).

A 7.2V 4400mAh battery lasts a claimed 5 hours on full power.  No contest, right?

« Reply #57 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:34:35 pm »
It would be quite possible to cycle using a Dinotte 140R on full blast as a (red) headlight.  Not legal obviously, but it would certainly provide enough light.  This is of course the older, dimmer light.  The  newer 300R and 400R are even brighter!

Incidentally, I hadn't seen the 300R until I just looked at the Dinotte website.  It's a self contained light, and comes with a complete set of clamps for most diameters of tubing, from which the light can be removed with a quick release.  It's another light that's charged from a USB port, and Dinotte apparently won't ship the charger outside of the USA.

rdaviesb

« Reply #58 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:43:16 pm »
I've various Superflashes and Cateye hanging of the fleet, but the latest addition, an Exposure Flare, is awesome, as well as being easily moved between bikes.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #59 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:43:36 pm »
I noticed Hope are working on a rear light. Available early next year for £95. Should be pretty bright. District Rear light - The worlds brightest rear light?!...

Or anyone tried this one from Magicshine? Apparently its a 3W LED, and not too expensive, including a battery pack.
   DealExtreme: $57.60 Magicshine MJ-818 HA-III SSC 42180U 3W 3-Mode LED Bike Tail Light Set (4*18650 included)

rogerzilla

« Reply #60 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:45:00 pm »
A 7.2V 4400mAh battery lasts a claimed 5 hours on full power.  No contest, right?
That's equivalent to about 20W halogen.  Doesn't it dazzle anyone behind?

« Reply #61 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:48:12 pm »
How many watts of taillight are installed in your car?  And how many watts when you add brake lighting, and add fog lighting?

« Reply #62 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:50:40 pm »
That's equivalent to about 20W halogen.  Doesn't it dazzle anyone behind?

Yes, but you don't want to use any of the really bright rear lights in group rides.  I only use my Dinotte on it's lowest setting in normal night time conditions, and try not to use it in group rides at all, unless I'm literally the last Tail-End-Charlie, or forget (feel free to moan at me if I do this!).

I sometimes use it on full blast, in fog during the day or in other really bad conditions.  A couple of years back cycling at about 7am on a Saturday morning, it was dark and snowing, and I heard a bus brake hard behind me when he realised that I was just ahead of him.  I was glad I had it on, on that occasion.  A conventional 2AA Cateye type LED light would not have been visible under such conditions.

rogerzilla

« Reply #63 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »
How many watts of taillight are installed in your car?  And how many watts when you add brake lighting, and add fog lighting?
In one place, 21W, non-halogen and very diffused.

« Reply #64 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:03:42 pm »
No, a little more honesty please.  List them all, as requested.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 14 November, 2010, 07:40:20 pm »
How many watts of taillight are installed in your car?  And how many watts when you add brake lighting, and add fog lighting?
In one place, 21W, non-halogen and very diffused.

Last time I checked, fog lights are only for use in very reduced visibility, and brake lights ... well, something's gone wrong if they're on for much of the time.(and plenty of motons moan about other motons that ride the brake pedal).

I've sort of lost track of what the point of this strand is , but :

average "audaxer" tail-lights are already brighter than those on an average family car. I watched a convoy of such things last week so was able to make a clear comparison.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #66 on: 14 November, 2010, 07:45:19 pm »
Sonny, you need the love of a bad woman  ;)

rogerzilla

« Reply #67 on: 14 November, 2010, 07:48:55 pm »
ICBA to argue on the Internet.  However, it's worth pointing out that a 21W non-halogen lamp, producing continuous spectrum white light, doesn't produce very much red light at all when you put a deep red lens over it.

Maybe we should have a group light test of *rear* lights?  Different technique required to that used for the front lights; what matters is the perceived brightness at (say) 100 metres, not the illumination. Can be done on a dark straight road with a digicam set to manual exposure.  And I'll bring my car if I have to  ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #68 on: 14 November, 2010, 07:52:17 pm »
Hi matt,

I'm concerned as to what I should with regard to rear lights.

Why? Well, my problem is I'm not an average Audaxer, I'm a very slow one.
 ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

« Reply #69 on: 14 November, 2010, 07:53:28 pm »
One of those flashing amber beacons they use on parked skips would do you just fine.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #70 on: 14 November, 2010, 07:55:14 pm »
Group test of taillights sounds like a good idea, where and when?

I suggest checking directly in line and at a few degrees offline vertically and horizontally.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #71 on: 14 November, 2010, 08:02:16 pm »
Hi matt,

I'm concerned as to what I should with regard to rear lights.

Why? Well, my problem is I'm not an average Audaxer, I'm a very slow one.
 ;D

If you maintain your recent performance, I can confirm that no other AUKS will ever know, let alone care, what tail-light you use.

(If you want a more hard-core insult than that, you know who to ask. ;) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #72 on: 14 November, 2010, 08:15:14 pm »
I suggest checking directly in line and at a few degrees offline vertically and horizontally.

Directly in line, and slightly off is useful, but I'd suggest 45° and 90° would also be informative.  The first value giving an idea of how fast the beam is falling off, and the second an indication of whether there is any attempt to make things visible from the side.  Some lights, like the CatEye TL-LD1100, deliberately have side facing LEDs, and it's a useful feature to my mind.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #73 on: 14 November, 2010, 08:15:55 pm »
One of those flashing amber beacons they use on parked skips would do you just fine.

Roger,

Many thanks for enlightening me with your experience.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #74 on: 14 November, 2010, 08:17:14 pm »
Agree about 90 degree, not so sure about 45 degree. Perhaps half that?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...