Author Topic: Inner tubes  (Read 5434 times)

Inner tubes
« on: 04 November, 2009, 08:36:54 pm »
Need a couple of new inner tubes. Are there any brands I should avoid or are the ones from Continental/Michelin/Vittoria all pretty much of a muchness?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Inner tubes
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2009, 08:45:56 pm »
Specialized have a woeful reputation for valve separation.  Have had the same problem with Schwalbe too.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2009, 10:15:51 pm »
I suspect the valve separation problem affected tubes of various makes that were made quite some time ago (that may have been sitting on shelves for some time too).  I've not had the problem with any tubes I've bought in the last couple of years, including Schwalbe's.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2009, 10:17:31 pm »
I think the Spesh valve problem is over.  Schwalbe tubes seem quite heavy.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2009, 10:22:09 pm »
This comes up occasionally and, in due course, you'll find negative comments/experiences about pretty much every brand of inner tubes. They all have bad batches.

I buy whatever the LBS I'm in has. The only thing to influence my choice is that, for 700c x 23mm and 25mm tyres, the Spesh tubes are smaller (both in and out of packaging) than Conti and Schwalbe tubes, so I'll generally buy them for carrying with me on rides as they fit into the pockets of my Carradice Barley neatly.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2009, 10:24:17 pm »
Schwalbe make Extra Light as well as heavier tubes.  Not cheap though.  Michelin similarly light tubes are cheaper.

Strangely, Vittoria "Ultralite" tubes are not as light as they used to be.  They're nearly standard-weight now.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2009, 07:30:37 am »
Have found most brands to be similar. Have just bought my annual supply from Ribble Cycles. Conti for £2.20 each. The LBS was charging £4.99 each.

I tend to buy 5 about this time each year and they last me about a year. I tend to give one away, get a large slash in another and lose the value on one each year. I never bother with extra light tubes as the saving of 10g does not justify the extra expense and the problems with patching.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2009, 09:27:59 am »
Have found most brands to be similar.
Specialized have a woeful reputation for valve separation.  Have had the same problem with Schwalbe too.
This comes up occasionally and, in due course, you'll find negative comments/experiences about pretty much every brand of inner tubes. They all have bad batches.

Reading those comments I am wondering how many factories are there in the world which make bike tubes.

I made esp. bad experiences with Decathlon's tubes (touring and road bike). 
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2009, 11:17:52 am »
I wish there were tubes made as nice as Vittoria's old "Gold" latex tubes.  They were packed in an opaque bag in the box.  When you needed the tube you open the bag and pull out a lovely colourful (usually purple) tube covered in the chalk that was in the bag. I liked that.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 05 November, 2009, 12:45:09 pm »
I never bother with extra light tubes as the saving of 10g does not justify the extra expense and the problems with patching.

The very lightest butyl tubes (50g*) are incredibly thin so unreliable, but normal ultra light butyl at 75g* is is about 25g* lighter than standard-weight, needn't be very expensive and is no more difficult to patch than anything else.

* For 700x18-23 or thereabouts.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #10 on: 05 November, 2009, 12:56:44 pm »
A friend and I split a batch of 700 x 18 - 23 Nutrak inner tubes as ten tubes for £20 seemed a bargain. Independently, we both came to the conclusion they were crap and I won't be buying them again. The valves were prone to breakage and they seemed to inflate unevenly.

I see Parker are selling short valve 700 x 18-23 Michelin tubes for £2.20.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #11 on: 05 November, 2009, 01:47:52 pm »
Vredestein Race :thumbsup:

These come sized 18-25, which is handy if you run 25mm tyres.  I've used these for several years and they are very well made.  Otherwise, Michelin have always been good.

« Reply #12 on: 05 November, 2009, 05:37:51 pm »
Thanks for all the replys. Decided to go for the Michelin ones in the end.

« Reply #13 on: 05 November, 2009, 09:12:27 pm »
Hmmmm.............. didn't really think about the size thing before I ordered. Two of my bikes run 700 x 23 so I went for 18-23mm inner tubes but the fixed has 700 x 25. Can I use 18 - 23 tubes in a 700 x 25 Continental Gatorskin in an emergency or is this to be advised against?

« Reply #14 on: 05 November, 2009, 10:17:24 pm »
I've suffered a series of "punctures" over the last couple of years that have  had no visible penetration of the tyre (Marathon btw). The failures seem to coincide with joins from the tubes' manufacturing processes. Discussion with LBS (excellent service btw) suggests that this sort of failure is more likely if the tube is used near to it's maximum rated size.

Of course, all the failures could be due to internal debris or other results of poor workshop practice on my part...

Nevertheless, I'd be happy to use an 18-23mm tube in a 25mm tyre in an emergency, but would be less inclined to rely on it in a 23mm tyre for eveyday use.

« Reply #15 on: 05 November, 2009, 11:42:26 pm »
I've used Michelin, Continental and Vittoria, bulk bought when available, all with no manufacturing failures over the last few years.

When I worked in a bike shop (maaaaany years ago) we used to buy Specialized inner tubes for about 50p each and sell them for £2.50.
considering they're made in China (or were) and the manufacturer, importer and us all took a cut and all still made a profit, I hate to think what the original manufacturing price was.

European tubes were much more expensive, but I can't ever remember having problems with them.

I honestly don't think you can trust brands, unless their business is making tubes or tyres and I have a bias towards European manufacturers.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #16 on: 06 November, 2009, 08:54:03 am »
Hmmmm.............. didn't really think about the size thing before I ordered. Two of my bikes run 700 x 23 so I went for 18-23mm inner tubes but the fixed has 700 x 25. Can I use 18 - 23 tubes in a 700 x 25 Continental Gatorskin in an emergency or is this to be advised against?

I use/d 18-23mm Vittoria tubes on 23,25,28 and 34mm tyres. It surely works as an emergency solution. I reckon that the bigger tyre is the thinner 23mm tube becomes within the tyre and so is more prone to punctures. This is roughly in line with my experience - I have most punctures with the 32mm tyre/23mm tube combination  (sure, there could be also other factors) ... there must be a reason why tubes for bigger tyres need so much rubber ... ::-)
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.