Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2500229 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #7450 on: 19 October, 2011, 07:32:37 am »
I am well sore this morning.  Legs less so than my stomach muscles.  This fixed riding is using different muscles than gears.

Si_Co

« Reply #7451 on: 19 October, 2011, 08:09:40 am »
Last night's commute was run to soundtrack of PING, PING PING, OUCH, PING, OUCH, AAAARGH FECKIN FROZEN WATER. I hate hail.

This morning was good till I got to work and noticed the bike making a funny noise, the rear crud gaurd has worn through on the tie wrap  ::-) Ah well thats a wiggle order today, can't complain too much they've done two years service

*edit due to posting halfway through typing  ???

Chris N

« Reply #7452 on: 19 October, 2011, 08:43:28 am »
I am well sore this morning.  Legs less so than my stomach muscles.  This fixed riding is using different muscles than gears.

:thumbsup:

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #7453 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:25:36 am »
For the second day running yesterday I was nearly taken out by a car turning right across me. 

Both drivers had mobiles hermetically sealed to their ears.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7454 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:56:58 am »
Last night I had to apologise to a fellow cyclist.  I spotted a car approaching from the right.  As I suspected he might pull into the lane I was in just as I arrived I began to slow and let out an almighty "Oi!".  Unfortunately it was at this exact moment that a woman pulled up between me and the car.  She thought I was yelling at her! (must not have noticed the car :facepalm: ).

Commuted in shorts again today but wore liners under my mitts.  Also went over 1,000km on the new bike (just over 6 weeks) but missed the moment as I was crossing a busy junction at the time.

As my after-work drinks today have been rescheduled I think I'll take the long way home.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7455 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:07:40 pm »
Distinctly cool this morning - the thin gloves weren't enough. Might have to start wearing socks with my sandals; my toes felt chilly. 4C and clear, lovely weather.

Slightly marred by the moron who tried going from the innermost lane of roundabout to an exit - when he had found I was already alongside him he just hit his horn and bellowed nonsense from a rabid chimpface.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7456 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:15:26 pm »
I passed a lady on a traditional ladies' bike with a big saddle and small basket. I had to work to catch her and I didn't lose her -she caught me again a couple of times. She was going really well, especially as she could have done with a bit more air in her rear tyre :). It is nice to see another woman on that stretch. Yesterday I passed a chap wearing a Fnrttc jersey waiting to cross Mitcham Lane - not sure if it was someone from here or elsewhere. 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7457 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:20:04 pm »
Distinctly cool this morning - the thin gloves weren't enough. Might have to start wearing socks with my sandals; my toes felt chilly. 4C and clear, lovely weather.
I had an UGRI1 this morning, and wrestling with the back wheel and the various bits of hub gear attached to it made me wish I'd at least worn my glove liners. Matters weren't helped by the fact that the tyres are a *very* tight fit on the rim. On the other hand, the sun was out, the birdies were singing and I managed not to break any more tyre levers.

1 - Unscheduled Gaseous Release Incident. A visitation, if you will.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7458 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:21:44 pm »
I had an UGRI1 this morning, and wrestling with the back wheel and the various bits of hub gear attached to it made me wish I'd at least worn my glove liners. Matters weren't helped by the fact that the tyres are a *very* tight fit on the rim. On the other hand, the sun was out, the birdies were singing and I managed not to break any more tyre levers.

1 - Unscheduled Gaseous Release Incident. A visitation, if you will.

Not one of these then? :)

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7459 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:22:39 pm »

Unscheduled Gaseous Release Incident. A visitation, if you will.

a.k.a. a fart flatulance,perhaps?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7460 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:25:01 pm »

You are made of sterner stuff than me - I've been wearing my merino socks for the last few days.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7461 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:27:37 pm »

You are made of sterner stuff than me - I've been wearing my merino socks for the last few days.

d.
This. And I've been breaking in the merino base layers I bought from On-One (they're bloody good for 20 quid; just ordered another couple)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7462 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:29:18 pm »

Unscheduled Gaseous Release Incident. A visitation, if you will.

a.k.a. a fart flatulance,perhaps?
Not in this particular case, no ;)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7463 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:39:07 pm »
This. And I've been breaking in the merino base layers I bought from On-One (they're bloody good for 20 quid; just ordered another couple)

Yup, bloody good for 20 quid. I wore my Planet X merino jersey today. Lovely and toasty. I have two and would buy a couple more if I weren't skint.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7464 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:43:36 pm »

Yup, bloody good for 20 quid. I wore my Planet X merino jersey today. Lovely and toasty. I have two and would buy a couple more if I weren't skint.

d.
I'm not exactly flush with cash myself at this point in the month, but I'm making the most of the fact that they're £20 each *and* available in fat bastard sizes. £400 worth of root-canal surgery on November 1st means that I sure as hell won't be buying any next month ...

ajc

• See, I told you it was green for me
« Reply #7465 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:44:11 pm »
I can happily report that I've 2 incident free rides. Last night was a headwind all the way home, added a good 15 minutes onto my journey time. Today I rode my fixie, had a couple of hills to go up, was quite tired when I got to work but I thoroughly enjoyed it !

Only thing to report was getting stuck behind a learner on a small motorbike, she wanted to filter along the outside of the queuing traffic but wasn't sure, kept starting to do it then stopping again so I was stuck behind her as there wasn't enough room to overtake. I managed it eventually, but only after I had stopped, took my foot out the left pedal, (right pedal at the bottom)  then saw the gap, pushed off and was lifted right off the saddle as the right pedal came up.
Must have looked really cool !  :facepalm:
You can call me Al.

« Reply #7466 on: 19 October, 2011, 01:50:13 pm »
Pedestrians using mobile phones  >:(

« Reply #7467 on: 19 October, 2011, 01:57:36 pm »
Just under 4C this morning so it was gloves and windproof jersey for the first time since last Winter.

Early start, clear run, sun out when I arrived. Nice.
Rust never sleeps

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #7468 on: 19 October, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »

That's so familiar - fixed manages to give me an upper body workout as well as the legs.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7469 on: 19 October, 2011, 06:29:23 pm »
Wished I had full gloves on instead of fingerless today.

Mildly scary moment on my way home, just as I left the office. As I have mentioned before, my office is in a very unsalubrious industrial estate. Working back from the main road, there's the tyre place, council transport, us, and a removal firm. Oh, and a dirty houseclean firm. So there are a lot of vans and lorries around. As I come out of the office I have to turn right into the side road which then has a left hand bend and then straight on to the main road. As I pulled out into the side road I couldn't see anything coming and set off, as shown in green, only to find a massive articulated removal lorry coming around the bend, as shown in orange. I was quite far to my right to ensure cars coming from the road around the back of the building (as shown in dotted yellow) could see me, the lorry was quite far to its right to get round the bend and to avoid the parked at the side of the road.

It was much much closer to me than I wanted it to be, especially as the rear section swung round, and I had to take a quick swerve into the footway, which is only segregated from the road by bollards. It can be difficult to see if anything's coming up the road because it slopes quite steeply down, and the space between the road and the bit of the road round the bend is usually filled with social work minibuses, plus bushes behind the fence. And at this time of year, the sun's in your eyes.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #7470 on: 19 October, 2011, 08:27:16 pm »
Northbound under the Marylebone Flyover on the Edgware Road today. Stay in the left of the two general trafffic lanes and ignore the very short bus lane to the left. Van driver passes and the passenger shouts, "Bus Lane".

I pass on his inside 20yds up the road and say, "Traffic Jam"  :smug:.

Nice to be able to do it secure in the knowledge that there's no way the traffic will dissolve on that road for him to stand a chance of passing me up the road.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #7471 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:11:48 pm »

[Extreme Geek alert]
I recognise that set of points.  I'll wave next time any train I'm on gets diverted that way.
[/Extreme Geek]
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7472 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:28:10 pm »
You won't. It's a goods line.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7473 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:30:26 pm »
bad day today, just came back from the hospitals. on my way to work i've tried to avoid collision with another cyclist (who turned right few meters in front of me at the junction, allegedly not seeing me), braked hard, went over the bars.. five broken teeth, broken nose and elbow, grazed chin. painkillers are working, but the future doesn't seem to be bright at the moment.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7474 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:31:22 pm »
You won't. It's a goods line.
Even better ... more chance of seeing something interesting.

IGMC ;)