Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2491421 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #6025 on: 14 June, 2011, 01:23:45 pm »
The sun is out.
The sky is blue.
The birdies were singing.
The crickets were chirping in the long grass.
<snip>
You are Buddy Holly AICMFP.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6026 on: 14 June, 2011, 01:28:30 pm »
So should I be asking all the officers I see if they are Fuzzy, or have you avoided Ascot duty this year?

The problem is the Taxis and drunks, they are both highly unpredictable except that they will do just what you don't whant them to.

If the ossifers you are looking at are fuzzy, you've had too much to drink already.

Or maybe the ossifers need to read the "Recomend me a simple wet shave system" thread.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6027 on: 14 June, 2011, 01:48:49 pm »
Chris Evans was moaning about racegoers in traffic jams past his front gate all week. 

Anyway, well away from all that, I had a late start today, so went shopping first, then went home before riding in.  I thought, for a while, that the input from an lbs had perhaps solved my bottom gear problem (even though my first test of the bike straight after they worked on it proved they hadn't).  But the top gear skipped a little, so I eased off the cable tension.  I played round with it a few times riding round Wandsworth, and it got it soooooo temptingly close that it was running almost right.

But it wasn't, so I resigned myself to just two gears.  To Clapham Junction via Northcote Road, then up to York Road (where there is some lovely smooth new tarmac at the junction with Falcon Road :thumbsup:).  Winding through some back streets to Albert Bridge, where I walked across.

Along Embankment and past Millbank, using the part-finished Superhighway.  Lots of mysterious roadworks going on, causing narrowing, but the blue stuff was OK, and certainly wider than CS7.

At Lambeth Bridge (why did I have to choose a steep one? :-\ ) I crossed the river, then zoomed through the back way to work, rode straight past, and went to the shop to buy food for tonight's meeting. :)

25km of fun extemporising.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #6028 on: 14 June, 2011, 02:57:21 pm »
So should I be asking all the officers I see if they are Fuzzy?

Sounds risky.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #6029 on: 14 June, 2011, 04:09:10 pm »
Not strictly a commute today as I had a day of tests and checks at Guys Hospital. I took a really long route in via Waterlink Way,  Blackheath, Greenwich and then all along the river, turning a 5 mile trip into a 20 miler at least!  The Riverside ride was interrupted by a PCSO on a bike rather apologetically informing me I would have to dismount along the More London section from Tower Bridge to a bit before London Bridge. And noticed the rather ominous Orwellian signs informing you of this prohibition along with that of cycling and skateboarding, reminding us we are being watched by their cameras to ensure our compliance.

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #6030 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:28:03 pm »
Seeing signs like that does give me the shivers. At least the PCSO was being civil about it.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #6031 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:39:18 pm »
He was a very pleasant chap and I got the feeling that he thought the prohibition was as much a pile of poo as I did and just had to do his job or else..... I guess the  cameras are on him too.  Although I may be wrong, the guy did his job well, and I may well be projecting my feelings of irritation at the ridiculousness of it all on to him ( the watchers may well be watching and I don't want to land him in the sh.... as he was so nice and polite about it).  It actually makes me quite angry that this faceless thing called More London can actually own a bit of our historic riverside, which by now, should be a public right of way, and tell Londoners exactly how to behave when passing through it, even if that behaviour neither harms anyone or stops anyone from enjoying the riverside. It is especially ironic that it also includes the part of the riverside that is home to the great severed woodlouse  that houses our very own GLA.

« Reply #6032 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:51:44 pm »
The FNRttC to places like Whitstable, used to go through the More London bit, mainly because there were some open public loos there, but also because you have a nice view of the bridge, and miss a bit of busy road.

Simon stopped using it, I think because a security guard, or someone of that ilk complained.

It seemed a bit daft, because at 1am, there aren't an awful lot pedestrians about. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6033 on: 15 June, 2011, 10:15:27 am »
I had to go to Putney to pick something up.  Cheap excuse to put in a few more miles.  To avoid hills, I went through Wandsworth.

Biiiiiiiiiiig mistake.  Huge.  The South Circular is closed, and I had to battle my way along Putney Bridge Road, getting stuck behind lorries jammed in the gridlock and the like.  Many riders had given up, and were riding on the pavement.  It was tempting, but I don't really do that.  And I don't know the backstreets well enough.

Once I was up Putney High Street, it was a breeze.  Then, coming back through, I hacked half of the High Street, then went off onto the cycle route and over Wandsworth Bridge (what a crap bit of farcility that has!).  Surviving the right turn, I got moving again along to the Embankment, and went to Lambeth Bridge again.  Not a nice filter to a right turn there. 

The last bit of crappy design is at St george's Circus, where there is a bike lane cut through, but it spews you out amidships of a bus stuck at the light, and does its very best to send you down Westminster Bridge Road, which is pretty much the way you came.  If you want to go along Borough Road (and, having done it two days running, I observe that every cyclist going through there did), you have to get a bit creative with the use of the junction and the interpretation of traffic lights.  V.dangerous, and I Do Not Approve.
Getting there...

« Reply #6034 on: 15 June, 2011, 10:26:16 am »
I had to go to Putney to pick something up.  Cheap excuse to put in a few more miles.  To avoid hills, I went through Wandsworth.

Biiiiiiiiiiig mistake.  Huge.  The South Circular is closed, and I had to battle my way along Putney Bridge Road, getting stuck behind lorries jammed in the gridlock and the like.  Many riders had given up, and were riding on the pavement.  It was tempting, but I don't really do that.  And I don't know the backstreets well enough.

I used to work in Wandsworth several years ago.
There's quite a decent route along the river - coming south over Wandsworth Bridge head to the B+Q, then past the waste transfer station. Doesn't look promising here, but there is a bridge over the mouth of the Wandle. From there head towards the river and you can go through the park, route ends up on a quiet street in Putney, paralleling the main road.

« Reply #6035 on: 15 June, 2011, 10:37:49 am »
And coming up Putney Bridge Road, after the dip under the railway bridge take the first left (Fawe Park Road). That gets you all the way to the High Street (near the Putney Hill end) with less hassle than PBR (once you're through the first bit that's only just wider than a single lane).

Bikes are allowed in Wandsworth Park but only the stretch of path along the river, not on the path nearest Putney Bridge Road.

Scum's detour by Smugglers Way, past the dump, over the bridge and into Enterprise Way is quite good, I use it any time I'm coming from that direction. Also, during the day you should be able to turn right after the bridge over Bell Lane Creek and go along the waterfront in front of all of the new flats, leads you directly to the entrance to Wandsworth Park next to the river. If not, go through the small industrial estate (being demolished at the moment), bear left to continue on Osiers Road, then R@T on Point Pleasant down to the river (past the Cat's Back pub).

If you cross Wandsworth Bridge on the far (West) side then you can peel off early down Jews Row and Marl Road (past the bus depot) to get onto Smuggler's Way without having to deal with the 'Contact' roundabout.

Remember that the blue 'Cyclists Dismount' sign at Blades Court (to get you on to Deodar Road) is advisory only. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6036 on: 15 June, 2011, 11:19:00 am »
Aye, that's the route I took the other way.  But, heading into Putney, I was taken by surprise at West Hill that it specifically said no access for cycles to Upper Richmond Road, and didn't want to test it.  I took the diversion up Putney Bridge Road, but I should have gone a bit further round the gyratory, and over the nasty cobbles to the Wandle bit.

But I didn't ::-) :-[
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6037 on: 15 June, 2011, 12:06:06 pm »
Last night, on the commute, I saw someone who had stolen a London Dynamo jersey.  I know it was stolen, because he was stopped at a red light.  OK, so his front wheel was over the line, but he had stopped.  I think that's against club rules :demon:
Getting there...

« Reply #6038 on: 15 June, 2011, 12:08:28 pm »
Last night, on the commute, I saw someone who had stolen a London Dynamo jersey.  I know it was stolen, because he was stopped at a red light.  OK, so his front wheel was over the line, but he had stopped.  I think that's against club rules :demon:

Mate, can you give it a rest already?  The club doesn't approve of it at all and will take action if it's reported.

Get some video and youtube the RLJing riders, and the club will have something they can take action with.  No, I'm not a member, but they are one of the biggest clubs around, so it's easy to blame all dynamo riders for this.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6039 on: 15 June, 2011, 12:10:45 pm »
OK, I'm being cheeky, hence the smiley.  You'll note it's been a while since I've mentioned crap riding by a Dynamoite.  Partly because I haven't seen any for months, but partly because the standard seems to have improved.

Dynamo have their reputation for a reason.  No point trying to deny that.  But there genuinely does seem to have been some action to improve things, and I'm pleased to see it.
Getting there...

« Reply #6040 on: 15 June, 2011, 12:32:22 pm »
Aye, that's the route I took the other way.  But, heading into Putney, I was taken by surprise at West Hill that it specifically said no access for cycles to Upper Richmond Road, and didn't want to test it.

The roadworks caused by the gas mains replacement are quite substantial and make URR one way from the top of Oakhill Road to West Hill. The cyclist diversion is a (dull) hot topic on the local SW15 forums...

They'll be done soon, thankfully.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #6041 on: 15 June, 2011, 12:49:36 pm »

Mate, can you give it a rest already?  The club doesn't approve of it at all and will take action if it's reported.

Get some video and youtube the RLJing riders, and the club will have something they can take action with.  No, I'm not a member, but they are one of the biggest clubs around, so it's easy to blame all dynamo riders for this.

This is jolly coincidental. I have just e-mailed them:

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Mobile Phone Use

I just wondered whether you could pass on some feedback to your membership.

I was at the traffic lights in Camberwell at about 8:35p.m. last night. At the junction going north one of your members (wearing the full regalia) set out from the traffic lights and was using his mobile phone.

May I point out that a) it is not doing your organisation any good if one of your members is disobeying the law; b) as cyclists we need to set a positive impression to other road users. Too often do cyclists get tarred with the brush that we are all inconsiderate and rude.

Yours faithfully

her_welshness
the lewisham parish

Have they got a bad rep then? I have not heard this before tbh.

« Reply #6042 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:09:52 pm »
In the absence of video evidence of who the members are, maybe we should be campaigning for bicycle number plates so we can bring consequences?  :demon: ;D

If I get any, I'd report them.  Mind you I saw one of own club members jumping a light, and I failed to report them.  I wish I had now.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6043 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:14:48 pm »

London Dynamos behaviour on a blogspot - Timetrialling Forum

London Dynamo In Richmond Park - Please Be More Considerate | Sportives/Audaxes/Training Rides | Road | Forums - BikeRadar

2012 Olympics Velodrome (The Pringle) - Page 4 - London Fixed-gear and Single-speed
(from page 4)

Cyclechat's search function is a bit less user-friendly, so ICBA looking through.  You get the idea, anyway.

Last night, on the commute, I saw someone who had stolen a London Dynamo jersey.  I know it was stolen, because he was stopped at a red light.  OK, so his front wheel was over the line, but he had stopped.  I think that's against club rules :demon:

Mate, can you give it a rest already?  The club doesn't approve of it at all and will take action if it's reported.

Get some video and youtube the RLJing riders, and the club will have something they can take action with.  No, I'm not a member, but they are one of the biggest clubs around, so it's easy to blame all dynamo riders for this.

This is jolly coincidental. I have just e-mailed them:

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Mobile Phone Use

I just wondered whether you could pass on some feedback to your membership.

I was at the traffic lights in Camberwell at about 8:35p.m. last night. At the junction going north one of your members (wearing the full regalia) set out from the traffic lights and was using his mobile phone.

May I point out that a) it is not doing your organisation any good if one of your members is disobeying the law; b) as cyclists we need to set a positive impression to other road users. Too often do cyclists get tarred with the brush that we are all inconsiderate and rude.

Yours faithfully

her_welshness
the lewisham parish

Have they got a bad rep then? I have not heard this before tbh.
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6044 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:20:39 pm »

Cyclechat's search function is a bit less user-friendly, so ICBA looking through.  You get the idea, anyway.

Coincidentally, his Leggship posed a question this morning in "General Cycling" on CC, which I was able to answer correctly.

http://www.cyclechat.net/topic/85840-quiz-question/

I don't appear to have been awarded a prize though.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6045 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:26:50 pm »
Ah.  Got the hang of Cyclechat.

Quiz question - Cycle Chat Cycling Forums

It's not just LD (though see comments in the thread):
Annoyed by cyclists from local club - Cycle Chat Cycling Forums

Slightly older than all the other threads, but an interesting post from a 'Bentmikey' in this one:
A drivers view - Cycle Chat Cycling Forums

Edit: Crosspost with Mr Hall.  Who doesn't deserve any sort of prize for such an easy question ;)

Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6046 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:29:11 pm »
Just to say, btw, that there were more examples on each forum, but I thought I'd post a recentish one for each.  Seems it's not just one bad apple who happens to be on my commute.  And certainly not just me complaining about dickish behaviour.
Getting there...

« Reply #6047 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:33:33 pm »

May I point out that a) it is not doing your organisation any good if one of your members is disobeying the law

Is cycling whilst using a mobile phone against the law?

I know there's a specific motoring offence but wasn't aware of one for cycling too.

spindrift

« Reply #6048 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »

May I point out that a) it is not doing your organisation any good if one of your members is disobeying the law

Is cycling whilst using a mobile phone against the law?

No.

What's more, to make it illegal would be to discriminate against one-armed cyclists.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6049 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:38:32 pm »
In the absence of video evidence of who the members are, maybe we should be campaigning for bicycle number plates so we can bring consequences?  :demon: ;D

Coincidentally last night mrs jogler was informed in a strident manner that registration plates are compulsory for bicycles by a member of her W.I. coven group ::-)

Whilst MyRock was able to put the witch her right*, do not under-estimate the influence the National Committee of the W.I. has within "the Establishment".I think you may be suprised at the amount of reference government bodies take from the W.I. on all manner of socio-political issues:e.g,.the W.I. has been asked to comment on helmet wearing compulsion.
So do not make mention of cycle registration within earshot of W.I. members :hand:

*during the discussion the Member conceeded that if it's not the case on a national basis it certainly is so "in London".Do Boris Bikes have any indentification on them which might give the un-initiated the wrong impression?