Author Topic: Road Levers and Cantilever brakes  (Read 2231 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Road Levers and Cantilever brakes
« on: 09 December, 2009, 09:30:44 am »
I have been supplied with a bike with road levers (tektro) and MTB style cantilever brakes that look like this

I am concerned that the brakes are mismatched.  Am I right to be worried?

Re: Road Levers and Cantilever brakes
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2009, 09:45:13 am »
Those are normally called V brakes and regular levers don't work too well with them. The Tekros may be designed especially for them though, I dunno.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2009, 09:52:15 am »
It's also possible that they are mini-V brakes, which look the same but are (obviously!) smaller than normal V-brakes, and which do, I believe, work with road levers (since the required pull distance is different).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2009, 09:59:46 am »
Tektro are one of the few companies that DO make drop bar levers that will pull enough cable for V brakes. But it can mean that the clearances are a bit tight and you have to have the blocks quite close to the rim.

I know that the original Specialized Tri-cross had V-brakes but they seem to have moved to centre pull Avid type brakes on their later models. Presumably so they can cope with wider rims.
Owner of a languishing Langster

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2009, 11:38:33 am »
I emailed the supplier of the bike and he got back to me very quickly:

..the Tektro levers are specific for standard vbrakes so you should be able to set them up easily and have good feel at the lever. We've been speccing them since March and they seem to work fine... They are infinitely easier to set up and maintain than the Diacompe mini-V's and regular drop levers that we used before.

So they reckon it should be good with the specific type of lever they've supplied.  I think it'll be ok.  Now all I have to do is build the rear wheel and I will be commuting on gas.  Well, on a new bike.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2009, 10:52:18 pm »
Diacompe also make a special drop lever, the 287V, which like your Tektros pulls enough cable for normal (not mini) V brakes. I have these Diacompes on my pompino, and don't think much of them! I gotten on much better with travel-agents to adapt normal (Ultegra) levers to Vs on the tandem.

Hope the Tektros work for you.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:14:06 am »
I think we discussed the merits of the options for Vs & drops a short while back (CBA to search), and the conclusion was that the Tektros were the best option.  That's the way we're going to go with our tandem (though I will measure the stud width to check Vs will work)
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 11 December, 2009, 05:10:30 pm »
If you have a very stiff frame and very true rims, try them with normal levers.  They're amazingly powerful, but you have to run the pads within 1mm or so of the rim.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

gordon taylor

« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2009, 05:21:55 pm »
If they are like these:

Tektro RL520 Aero V Brake Levers - Black

they're great, and work just fine with Vs.

« Reply #9 on: 11 December, 2009, 05:22:37 pm »
Personally I'll stick with the Ultegra STI's and the travel agents.   They work well enough for me, for Charlotte and Liz, and for the Things I believe on their tandems.   Must be a good solution then   :thumbsup:

If you want downtube shifters then the Tektro RL520 or the Dia Compe 287v should suffice.

If you find that you have to set the brakes too close for effective stopping power, you could consider* whacking a Travel Agent in there so that you can loose off the clearance somewhat.  

*  I have no idea of the potential consequences of this but you can be sure that more than enough cable will be pulled.   Note:  Not a recommendation, just a thought.

Zoidburg

« Reply #10 on: 11 December, 2009, 05:23:33 pm »
If you have a very stiff frame and very true rims, try them with normal levers.  They're amazingly powerful, but you have to run the pads within 1mm or so of the rim.
You could add a brake booster I suppose if the frame is a bit wibbly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 11 December, 2009, 05:24:50 pm »
Actually, wheel flex may be the main factor.  Anyway, when you get out of the saddle you can hear the rear brake rubbing, especially in the wet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.