Author Topic: Riding the Dragon  (Read 3513 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Riding the Dragon
« on: 19 December, 2009, 10:03:33 pm »
Wellll, you'd have to really, to want to even try; but, a promise is a promise, and since we bombed it the first attempt, it had to be fufilled.

Andy offered kip space and [kindly | stupidly] agreed to ride, so after some faffing over dates, we finally agreed on last w/e.  I was a bit nervous about it being so late in the year, as it could have gone to hell in a handcart very quickly, but as it turns out, it was the best it could have been - crisp. and very cold overnights, and only really caught one batch of rain for a hour, so no ice problems.

To have any real pretense of completing it, I wanted to knock off the last leg(s) + top loop in one, which meant stupid o'clock start (00:00) on the Fri/Sat, so we grabbed a few hours pre-ZZZzzzz on Fri evening, then kicked off on the long drag over Plynlimon [this really needs a beacon, a la Roc Trevezal, to break your spirit  ;)].  Just before the county border, Andy gave me the joyous news that the cold was not for him, and a warm bed was calling - can't say I'd disagree, but we wished each other well and parted company.  A fast run down to Newtown ensured, where a couple of late-night revellers at the garage smacked their jaws on the floor when it was described what was being done.

Continuing on to Upton, eventually roads prior travelled on the Offa's Dyke were joined, so automatic pilot took over, only validating the directions; honestly, you'd think an Org would know which way to turn in a local village  ;).  The Camping & Caravan Club were holding a meet at the hall, and one happy bunny was weapons-grade snoring - I did think about dragging his abode into the next field, to give others peace & quiet ;D

An amended leg from Shrewburys to L. Vyrnwy was again flatish, so reasonable speeds allowed to get there back on schedule for a breakfast; the proprosed control is closed over Winter, but the cafe opposite the RSPB remained open.

Suitably stoked, lardy boy hauled his ass over Bwlch - no birdsong, only the sound of rasping respiration to break the silence, and dropped down to Bala.  It's a loooong leg, and here really that the climbs of the top loop start, but there's nothing to be afraid of, as they're all long steady drags.  Climbing around the north of Migneint, you drop steeply down, and eventually get spat out of the lanes in Betws-y-Coed. Time for a good fish fryup, nom, nom, nom... Another long drag takes you over Pen-y-Pass, and then a nice long run[1] down to the coast at Carnarfon, your Northern turn.

Pretty soon after leaving Carnarfon, you're back on roads[2] familiar from the Chapman, and autopilot takes over - just remember take the L to Penrhyndedraeth; once you get here, then basically you have a nice coastal run along the reverse of the BC, through Harlech to Barmouth, across the bridge, round the coast/estuary to Macynlleth, and back to Aberyswyth...450Km down in about 26 hours - a doddle.  And so to sleep.

3 hours kip & n'an hours faffing over breakfast, and you're on the road again; guess what - you at sea level, so assume the gears.  Long climbs and drops over big ridges take you down to Carmarthen, where new unexplored sections of the route called - there's a whole brave new network of grumps out there.

Some minor lanes, cycletrack and a bit of manky dual c'way (there's not much alternative) get you to St. Clear, and back into the lanes.

Oh boy - done the K&SW? Remember the last section of grumping? Welcome to your worst nightmare ;)

You go up. You come down to sea level. You go up. Repeat, over about 160km. Eventually you get through Tenby (nice Fudge shop in market square)  & Pembroke (I got cross with myself here, 'cos couldn't get instructions to make sense), for a bit of respite as you climb and level off for 10Km along the Ridgeway; if it's the evening, you get nice views of the flares from the refinery - it was cold enough to wish I was over there toasting snorkers and marshmellows onna stick, but then you cross Cleddau Bridge and plunge back into the heart of darkness, leaving the skyline glow behind and continuing to grump the coastline to reach St David's.

It's nice wide main road from St David's (rather than dark lanes), but you're still onna rollercoaster ride through Cardigan, until eventually you arrive back, tired and zzzz'prepped - Zonk...

A few hours later, let's get it on again; two long drags to & beyond Devil's Bridge,  and you're back on the familiar ground (for scenic BCM'ers) of the Elan Valley. Getting spit out of the other side, you have the pleasure of rolling down gentle valley bottoms to Hay (though if you're feeling fit you could detour through Cregrina/Rhulen).

Hmmm - Gospel Pass; never a good thing from the North, but with 850km in yer legs ;D But - one stroke at a time, the top's not going anywhere, and it was well overdue time for a looooooong run down; Pity it was so spoiled by the flailings that had been left to rot - how the descent, tracking a 20cm wide strip, in the dark avoiding the clag, stones, and flailings worked out heaven knows. Oooops - spoke to soon. The (rear) indexing had been iffy all day - no amount of adjustment could keep it consistent; reason why was found just after Llanthony, as the final strands of the cable parted company. Oh. Bugger.  Luckily, I carry everything & the kitchen sink, but what's a five minute job in the warm shed was a 30-minute "slow & careful" task in the cold. Still, job done, and full complement of mechanical gubbins working again.

Back in the lanes, and a minor ridge drops you to Crickhowell; keep the faith, and just keep following the B Rd after Pencelli - you will get there.  If you chose the canal path option, the same applies...I got annoyed agin here, as I didn't keep the faith, and legged it onto the A40 through Sennybridge.  Althrough it had been gloomy many times, crossing the Beacons to Llandovery was the only time it really decided to rain.

Hmmm. Llandovery late at night - what can you say? I spent a week there in one hour ;)

I'd done the Lyne Briane road (other way) in bombing The Elenith one year, so knew what it was like, but had quite forgotten how long it is to even get to the entrance, let alone ride around the edge; It's a very disturbing edge too, as you seem to spend much more time going downhill than up.

Mist and metal cattle grid and 23mm's at slow speeds don't mix - exit stage left and collect deep bruise left thigh (to match right from a year ago). Ouch. Still, nothing but pride damaged - onwards and upwards.  Oh. More mist. And his mate. You know how wide the Tregaron road isn't? When you can't see one side from t'other, time to get the carving knife out. Minimal lighting (so no backscatter blindness) and walking pace progress for about 10Km, seeming to go round and round in circles - Not a good place to be at 2am :(  Still, can't spend all day enjoying meself, and eventually break out into clear air, with the lights of Tregaron shining below. Wheeeee descent - owww, cold fingers, puff, puff, puff, puff.

Pretty soon you're back on the A roads, and a few minor humps get you back for a final zzz; You wonder what all the fuss was about ;D

It's a toughie in places; the second loop (up and down the coastline) may do for some, but if you survive that you should finish OK. The Lynn Briane loop is a nasty sting in the tail, and I'd suggest buddying up in bad weather.

I'll probably help out, and promise not to point and laugh :)

[1] Look, twunt in Landy; the road through Llanberis is 10 metres wide; you don't need to feel the tops quality, right!
[2] Mr Ginsters van - it's 11pm. The shop is shut for deliveries. Physics as is known dictates me, you and the driver coming the other way can't all occupy the same point in space and time on the narrow bridge so FUCK OFF.

I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Riding the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:07:22 am »
That's a tough way to keep an RRtY going :P

Good effort (and you haven't put me off yet).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2009, 09:33:27 am »
Excellent stuff Mr Iddu.  :thumbsup:

H

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:07:56 pm »
That's a tough way to keep an RRtY going :P

Good effort (and you haven't put me off yet).

Mmmm - RTYT anyone (Round the Year Thousands)?
:P
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:49:09 am »
onya iddu