Author Topic: I fancy a new bike  (Read 10067 times)

I fancy a new bike
« on: 18 January, 2010, 11:42:22 pm »
Cannondale CAAD 9
Evans Cycles | Cannondale CAAD 9 105 Compact 2010 Road Bike | Online Bike Shop

Have always wanted one of these frames and I am lusting for a quality sports bike at a reasonable price.

Talk me out of it, will you? I already struggle to ride what bike I have due to time pressures and I am, after all, mainly a fixed gear rider as well!!

(Feel free to add what YOU fancy)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: I fancy a new bike
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2010, 12:18:31 am »
Beautiful bike, Frenchie. You know if you bought it that it would be going to a good home, and that price... well, it looks very reasonable for what it is. Sorry, but I can see no good reason for you not to buy it. ;)

Speaking for myself, I really need a titanium audax bike. Something like this: enigmabikes.com - etape or this: Sabbath Bicycles - September Sportive Bike would be ideal

No way I could afford it at the moment, alas.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2010, 12:29:32 am »
Titanium Audax bike would be lovely here, too.  Part of the issue is the lack of any terribly objective way to decide between Enigma/PlanetX/Sabbath/someone else (is there a good place to go for Ti test rides?), but mostly it's an issue of where to put the thing.  We've got bikes in every corner already, and on the off chance we did find some spare space, I suspect it's Emily's turn really...

Mountain bike (but see above...)

Oh, and since this is just "I fancy", how about one of these?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2010, 07:18:32 am »
I've got one in BBQ , it's pictured in member's bikes . An absolutely beautiful frame ! I've always loved Cannondales . It's comfy for alu as well , Its a bit crazy because everything is black , white saddle and tape made a big difference as did silver wheels , I have since changed the bars , stem and seatpost to shorten the reach and I can say it rides like a MUCH more expensive bike . I've never had a full Shimano group befor but 105 is amazing innit

I know we haven't always had the smoothest interactions but you will love this machine - trust me

« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2010, 08:56:57 am »
...but you will love this machine - trust me

I know. <sigh> The need for speed makes my head a bit light... or is it the beginning of a mid-life crisis and the need for a reward?

You lot are not doing a good job at making me see reason. Are you all Descartes?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2010, 08:59:47 am »
You lot are not doing a good job at making me see reason. Are you all Descartes?

This is n+1 we're talking about.  Where does reason come into it?

(Oh, and the Cannondale looks lovely!)
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:03:25 am »

This is n+1 we're talking about.  Where does reason come into it?

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait pas... I know!

And I have always had a little something for suites (the n+1 reasoning in math and reductio ad absurdum -- I don't know how this is called in English math classes, sorry).

« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:11:56 am »
Winter is for fixed Frenchie, summer is for speed, Imagine getting the 53*11 rolling!
You know it would get used as well, how else will you keep up with me in summer.
Call in to TS Bikes and have a drool!

bikenerd

« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:14:17 am »
And I have always had a little something for suites (the n+1 reasoning in math and reductio ad absurdum -- I don't know how this is called in English math classes, sorry).

Proof by induction?

Anyway, I bought a "fast" bike and sold it after a year as I'd ridden it twice.  I think this was more to do with me (finally) realising what type of riding I like to do and that in summer, when such a bike would be used, the trails are dry and I like to go mountain biking.  Whereas I think you'd really enjoy a bike like this, Frenchie! :)

« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:14:44 am »
Winter is for fixed Frenchie, summer is for speed, Imagine getting the 53*11 rolling!
You know it would get used as well, how else will you keep up with me in summer.

;D Indeed. I must capitalise on my fixed gear speed, whilst it is still time!!

ed_o_brain

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:35:06 am »
Frenchie, I've been lusting after one of those for nearly a year now. Knowing how sprightly and surprisingly comfy my '95 Cannondale M500 is, the CAAD9 is a very tempting cyclescheme purchase.

I've also considered the Cannondale Capo, however for this year that's only generally available with flat bars and the components let down a good frame.

« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2010, 07:37:48 pm »
Well....1200 quid for an alu/105 equipped bike is a lot of money, unless you really REALLY rate 'Dales - they do have a brand premium and thus do hold their re-sale value relatively well. Whether or not that premium is justified in today's product sourcing market is debateable.

I can't believe that there isn't better vfm out there, whatever frame material one happens to fancy.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #13 on: 20 January, 2010, 07:19:04 am »
I do think they are special. I kow they are aluminium frames but they are rather well designed and are at the top end of what gets done in that sector.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2010, 08:06:09 am »
For 1200 quid you could get a carbon Planet X with Ultegra bits and still have 200 quid over for upgrades - say an upgrade for wheels.
I have had 2 alu frames. A ribble winter and my first road bike which was a GT something or other. As you say the Dale is a better quality alu frame, but it is still a Alu frame. I have 2 Ti frame bikes and love them. The ride quality is so much better. The Sabbath September is a great frame for a bike that you could race, use as a winter bike, light touring etc. You then could put on the parts you want, not whats on the bike to make the price of the bike more competative. It's also a great price as well (or was when I bought it).
I would never buy a complete bike again. There would always be something I would want to change.  

ed_o_brain

« Reply #15 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:38:57 am »
Alu frames tend to be stiff yet cheaper than their Ti equivalents and not as 'fragile' as carbon fibre.

I reckon to get a Ti frame that's has the power transfer of my 'dale (or anywhere near a fast Ti bike) would be quite spendy.

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:42:20 am »
I get the appeal in buying an aluminium bike hand-built by US craftsmen over a carbon bike from a Chinese factory. When it came to making that choice, though, I still went for Chinese soot.

d.

« Reply #17 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:58:03 am »
I've never wanted a cannondale, but I do quite fancy an Alu bike as my next +1 moment.  Current favourite is one of these built up with 10 speed campag.

Damn, that's cheaper than I've seen anywhere else actually.  I might be about to have an expensive morning (and a painful explanation to make in a couple of days :) )

« Reply #18 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:59:16 am »
Oh Cr*p.   I just had a Credit Card moment.  Wish me luck...    ;)

citoyen

« Reply #19 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:02:57 am »
Oh Cr*p.   I just had a Credit Card moment.  Wish me luck...    ;)

Brilliant! Real-time n+1 action! That's what we like to see.

Best of British!  ;D

d.

« Reply #20 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:05:38 am »
Was it a 'Dale or a Cervelo :-* ????

« Reply #21 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:06:02 am »
One minute and thirteen seconds.

Impressive.
 ;D

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:09:37 am »
If I can get my weight down to something sensible, I may consider the purchase of something delicately woven from soot and elven spume...

« Reply #23 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:22:12 am »

Impressive.
 ;D

that's quite restrained for me.  My willpower is about as strong as overcooked broccoli on a good day.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #24 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:25:47 am »

Impressive.
 ;D

that's quite restrained for me.  My willpower is about as strong as overcooked broccoli on a good day.

if in your eagerness you clicked the submit button twice and end up with two frames...
..actually you are taller than I am so that's a useless suggestion.