Author Topic: ..but my bike is OK  (Read 4905 times)

..but my bike is OK
« on: 04 March, 2010, 08:58:58 am »
I fell off about half an hour ago on my way to work. Going round a roundabout to turn right my back wheel went from me and found myself plonked on the ground. Landed on my right leg and forearm, my Dolan was on it's right hand side with the front wheel turned right and the brake levers on the road. I looked over my should to see a number plate ! The car had thankfully managed to stop. I felt OK stood up and carried my bike onto the roundabout and sat down for a few minutes. Several motorists asked me if I was OK. The driver that stopped behind me pointed out that it looked like some oil was on the road, I think he was right.

I walked across the road and remounted but felt a bit too hot, like I was going to pass out so I climbed off and sat on the floor for a few minutes, then carried on to complete the final mile.

I have some abrasions on my elbow and top of my right thigh. I did not land on my hip and I don't think I have agitated my hip at all. Jacket is dirty with a small hole in on the wrist. Bike is OK.

Re: ..but my bike is OK
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:15:06 am »
'Hot' prob from adrenaline. That'll crash in a bit.

Glad to hear you didn't damage the titanium bits.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:23:27 am »
Relieved that you have only minor injury.Take it steady.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:27:21 am »
Glad to hear you're relatively unscathed.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:33:42 am »
When I crashed last, fortunately with no serious problems at all, the worst thing was that thought "oh no not again"- the instant fear that you must have landed on the old injury and once again ( in my case) the collar bone is busted.  It wasn't of course.

I'm not sure if having a "not serious" crash like this is good for confidence or not.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:40:37 am »
Glad you haven't angered the old injuries.

IYHDIA, it's worth letting the local authority/police know about the oil, before some other unfortunate on a two wheeler comes a cropper.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:50:11 am »
When I crashed last, fortunately with no serious problems at all, the worst thing was that thought "oh no not again"- the instant fear that you must have landed on the old injury and once again ( in my case) the collar bone is busted.  It wasn't of course.

I'm not sure if having a "not serious" crash like this is good for confidence or not.
I was wondering what it would be like to crash again after my biggy. Now I know !!

« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:47:34 am »
Hope you're fully OK, Martin.

When I came off a couple of weeks ago,  I found that some of the pain didn't kick in until eight or nine hours after the event.  My wrist, in particular, was no more than uncomfortable in the immediate aftermath of the crash in mid-afternoon, but it was bloody painful when I went to bed at around 11pm.  It's still not right now, two and a half weeks later, so I sincerely hope you don't have any similar delayed-onset injuries.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:50:25 am »
Bad luck Martin. Glad to hear you have not damaged the pelvis again.
Hell - you never know when it can happen!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:57:46 am »
What a good thing your pelvis is okay, I hope it stays that way.

« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2010, 11:22:28 am »
Hope you're fully OK, Martin.

When I came off a couple of weeks ago,  I found that some of the pain didn't kick in until eight or nine hours after the event.  My wrist, in particular, was no more than uncomfortable in the immediate aftermath of the crash in mid-afternoon, but it was bloody painful when I went to bed at around 11pm.  It's still not right now, two and a half weeks later, so I sincerely hope you don't have any similar delayed-onset injuries.
Wrists take ages to heal, the bones are close to the surface. Mine is hurting now and my groin area is hurting. I just had to walk into town for a meeting, it was difficult.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2010, 11:33:21 am »
Relieved you are okay!

« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »
Could use new tyre?

« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:06:57 pm »
Relieved you are okay!
I'm relatively OK, relative to my last crash. I am not sure I'll be able to ride home tonight.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:19:23 pm »
Take it steady leave bike and get the bus .You'll be fine .

gordon taylor

« Reply #15 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:34:19 pm »
Take care. Leave the bike. Get a lift or the bus.

« Reply #16 on: 04 March, 2010, 06:09:57 pm »
I followed your advice and got the bus home. I can only walk very slowly and carefully.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #17 on: 04 March, 2010, 06:56:38 pm »
I can only walk very slowly and carefully.

Good long hot bath to free things up

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #18 on: 04 March, 2010, 07:09:58 pm »
Double check the bike once you're feeling a bit fresher. I came off at low speed on diesel last year. Didn't think the bike had any damage at the time, but closer inspection later revealed a ding in the down tube from the top of the front brake and a twisted front brake bolt. If your front wheel turned right round on itself like mine did then it's worth checking the brake/frame. I ended up replacing the front brake and the fork, as I was worried that if the force on the brake was sufficient to bend the fixing bolt then there must have been a big shock load on the carbon forks.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 04 March, 2010, 07:11:09 pm »
What tyres are you using?  I was sliding all over the place last winter, especially on diesel spills, but this year it's been much better.  23mm Fortezzas vs 35mm Marathon Pluses.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #20 on: 04 March, 2010, 07:14:35 pm »
I was using a Zaffiro Pro 25mm a bit under inflated today as it happens too. 

I will check my bike but my brake caliper does not hit my downtube, by handlebar hits the top tube first.

« Reply #21 on: 04 March, 2010, 08:33:35 pm »
Sending you hugs  :-*

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #22 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:01:38 pm »
Hope the aches and pains aren't too achey and painful.  And am glad that the bike's OK, of course :)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:05:41 pm »
Can't blame the tyre if there was oil on the road.  Glad the injuries aren't too serious.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #24 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:13:12 pm »
I can only walk very slowly and carefully.

Good long hot bath to free things up
that has helped this evening