Author Topic: PBP - Travel & accommodation  (Read 49122 times)

PBP - Travel & accommodation
« on: 03 April, 2010, 12:37:11 pm »
Where do people stay in or near to the start/finish?

Any places to be recommended / avoided?

Re: PBP - Accommodation ?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2010, 12:41:15 pm »
The Campsite - recommended. They let you leave your tent there, at reduced price, while you are riding. It's THE place to be to meet other riders. I rolled up there on the Saturday evening before, on my bike after a 900km ride to get there (not in one go). It was really nice to be welcomed by some familiar faces and drink beer with them.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2010, 05:08:58 pm »
Last time Pam Pilbeam organised bookings for chalets on the campsite as well.  They were good, especially when the rest of the place got a bit gloopy

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2010, 11:39:22 am »
I recommend F1.  It is about 3km from the start IIRC.

Just be sure to book when bookings open, as they go fast.  Clean, cheap and close to the start. 

I was unsure whether to even mention my secret place on here, lest I miss out myself.  I really shouldn't keep secrets though.

bazdunk

• Making a comeback soon.....
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2010, 10:39:22 am »
The Campsite - recommended. They let you leave your tent there, at reduced price, while you are riding. It's THE place to be to meet other riders. I rolled up there on the Saturday evening before, on my bike after a 900km ride to get there (not in one go). It was really nice to be welcomed by some familiar faces and drink beer with them.

What's the name of the campsite, ta?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2010, 10:50:55 am »

Campsite in Ile de France, Parc Etang : campsite near Paris, Yvelines.

Personally, I prefer hotels.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bazdunk

• Making a comeback soon.....
« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2010, 11:09:28 am »

Campsite in Ile de France, Parc Etang : campsite near Paris, Yvelines.

Personally, I prefer hotels.

Thanks for the fast reply, we usually go follow the tour for 2 weeks in July but looks like it will be 2 weeks in August, maybe a week down the East coast then a week in Paris while I do the PBP!!  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Baz

« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:33:23 pm »
Has anybody contacted Sports Tours to ask if they will be firstl going to PBP and secondly if the format will change.

I've gone with them the last 2 times and picked the coach up only 12 miles from home on its way south.

Just ride over. It's far nicer.

« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:38:49 pm »
Has anybody contacted Sports Tours to ask if they will be firstl going to PBP and secondly if the format will change.

I've gone with them the last 2 times and picked the coach up only 12 miles from home on its way south.

that's what I plan on doing, hook up with some others on the way, seems like the right thing to do.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2010, 11:13:29 pm »

agreed

More time-consuming, but a load of fun :)

Last time, the two days riding through France were the best part of the whole thing.

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #10 on: 08 June, 2010, 01:10:09 am »

The hotels are a challenge for them as the ride presents unusual accomodation needs which are effectivel dependent on which start time you choose & how fast you get round. 2003 was a great hotel, 2007 not as good but it did the job well enough.

Also you get the advantage of a couple of bag drops and a chance to crash out on the coach at a couple of places en-route.

I'm also a big fan of the Sporting Tours hotel and transport included approach which allows me to concentrate on the ride itself - not that I'm saying that it's the right thing for everyone. It's just the right thing for me. I see PBP as one of the biggest things I can do in sport and like to concentrate on that. We all enjoy things in different ways.

I understand that a VC167 member will be arranging the group booking this time around.

The 2003 hotel was ace but was booked early, and not all of the Brit party were quartered there. We struck lucky. In 2007, the American tour companies beat Sporting Tours to it. Agreed, the 2007 was not as good as 2003, but better than the 1999 one.

The coach backup also provides (free of charge) a significant rescue operation for riders who've packed for whatever reason, and somebody has to pay for that.

Whichever way you do it, it's worth doing, but I guess a lot of us agree on that.

Regards

Chris

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #11 on: 08 June, 2010, 10:23:59 pm »

Has anybody yet managed to transform PBP into a DIY + event + DIY 2000km?

I think that I will take the train to Portsmouth and then ride from Caen to the start.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #12 on: 08 June, 2010, 11:27:29 pm »

No, but loads of people have ridden over (and back) without even a thought about about points. I certainly wan't organised enough last time to actually plan a route in advance. I doubt the Good Doctor and I would have found the delightful little hotel-bar if we had planned a route.
I think that I will take the train to Portsmouth and then ride from Caen to the start.

Le Havre's cheaper.

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 08 June, 2010, 11:30:02 pm »
Portsmouth-Caen does seem very pricey

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2010, 12:08:26 am »

In the pub at Portsmouth, there seemed to be an even split between Caen riders and Le Havre riders (2007).

The problem with your DIY 2000 is having to checkin on the Saturday. Not insurmountable (cos you could ride a 400k before the start), but you could face the longest queue ever to get an intermediate control stamp.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #15 on: 09 June, 2010, 03:34:22 pm »
The problem with your DIY 2000 is having to checkin on the Saturday. Not insurmountable (cos you could ride a 400k before the start), but you could face the longest queue ever to get an intermediate control stamp.
You just have to get lucky like I did at LEL (thank you again).  Someone holds your place in the queue while you arrive/faff/etc.   :facepalm:
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #16 on: 09 August, 2010, 04:51:26 pm »
Hmmm I wonder if we could coincide travel to PBP with a FNRTTC on Friday (19th). It would mean 9am crossing, land Dieppe ~ 2pm Saturday.  :hand: Not going to work.

And official FNRTTC date will be the 12th anyway.

Probably not sensible to kick off the week with sleep deriving overnighter.
Actually, there aren't really any terribly convenient times for London - Newhaven - Dieppe. You need to do one or other stage overnight, or else stay overnight in Newhaven.

« Reply #17 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:16:21 pm »
There will be friendly groups going via Le Havre and  Caen. Two pleasant 100k days to Paris suburbs.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #18 on: 09 August, 2010, 11:53:00 pm »
Hmmm I wonder if we could coincide travel to PBP with a FNRTTC on Friday (19th). It would mean 9am crossing, land Dieppe ~ 2pm Saturday.  :hand: Not going to work.

And official FNRTTC date will be the 12th anyway.

Probably not sensible to kick off the week with sleep deriving overnighter.
Actually, there aren't really any terribly convenient times for London - Newhaven - Dieppe. You need to do one or other stage overnight, or else stay overnight in Newhaven.
You can go to Portsmouth and treat the ferry as a floating hotel!
Chief cat entertainer.

Bairn Again

« Reply #19 on: 11 August, 2010, 01:45:30 pm »
My offer of free accomodation in Paris about 1/2 mile south of gare du Nord has firmed up to a definite so if I get a place I'm planning on going by train Edinburgh - London - Paris and same back.  Will have to decide whether to book bike ahead on Eurostar and pay or stick it in a bike bag and chance it as carry on luggage.  I'm inclined towards the latter (not on grounds of cost, but that the bike travels with me at all times.   

Went Baxter Bus last time

+ convenience of pick up (1/4 mile from house)
+ use bag drop / coach

- I know Baxter used 2 hotels which appeared to be quite different, but IMHO the hotel was poor (breakfast was a lower standard than I'd expect in a Formule 1 and having only cold water for washing on the Friday of the finish was unforgivable).   
- Couldnt face a 2nd 23 hr bus journey so I ended up flying home with the family for an extra £40.   

With the addition of official bag drops in 2011, it'll be an easy decision.  Some hassle in getting to / from  bike check/start/finish and the fact that I might miss some of the atmosphere will be more than offset by saving about £200.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:25:33 pm »
Secondly
Is the addition of official bag drops a definite? I've looked around the PBP website and can't spot where this comes from. If this is a definite it might also tip me into independant travel.
I'm actually wondering whether it would be a good choice. It worked on LEL/MC1K, but that was just a few score of bags. I fear utter chaos with the 1000s on PBP :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #21 on: 03 October, 2010, 10:42:34 pm »
I think that Sporting Tours (Baxters) have still to declare their hand on whether they will run their usual trip in 2011, it's not on their website as yet. Does anyone have any up to date info if this is on or off?

Secondly
Is the addition of official bag drops a definite? I've looked around the PBP website and can't spot where this comes from. If this is a definite it might also tip me into independant travel.

Did like the atmosphere in the hotel though. :-\

Oh, that would be a shame if Baxters don't do their thing in 2011. I too thought the atmosphere in the hotel was what made it worth it in 2007 (well, at least the in VC167 one [insert winky smiley]).

« Reply #22 on: 04 October, 2010, 09:34:52 am »
I really can't decide how to get there.  :-\

If I had a normal bike, I'd surely go for the train from Edinburgh to Paris and back, with the bike dismantled in a bag. Unfortunately, even if I took mine completely apart, it would still be taking the mickey as far as packing size goes.

Riding directly from Edinburgh seems a bit OTT, and I can't spare the time from work.

Flying is stressful enough without a bike!

I had been thinking about the Rosyth-Zebrugge ferry and then two days at 150km each, but that is shutting down...

Having driven a few times to the Alps with kayaks, I'm not overly keen to have that experience again (although, could potentially share the car with like-minded Ecossais)

« Reply #23 on: 04 October, 2010, 09:42:30 am »
If I do it, and it is a big if, I'll be riding there with panniers, and riding the event with panniers too

border-rider

« Reply #24 on: 04 October, 2010, 09:46:12 am »
I'm thinking of riding it with a giant Edam cheese strapped to my head. You know, just to show that I can ;)