Author Topic: Why does it say.....  (Read 2681 times)

Why does it say.....
« on: 28 July, 2010, 09:21:33 am »
...... KEEP AWAY FROM FIRE on the labels of a new pack of boxer shorts?

I think they were an xmas present from my mother last year, but I'd never got round to wearing any of them as I have about a million pairs from every previous xmas. So I ran them through wash and put them out to dry when I noticed the warning in big red letters.

What's that all about? Of course I'm going to keep them away from fire! I don't want my bollocks burned off!

I had a quick check of other items of clothing and I can't find the same warning on any of them. Is this some kind of new labelling thing? And if it's a genuine warning, are my pants about to combust without warning?

Edit: Intrigued, I checked some other stuff. On the back of my tin of Swan Extra Refined Lighter Fluid it says: "KEEP AWAY FROM SOURCES OF IGNITION - NO SMOKING" What!!!? It's lighter fluid FFS!

Anyway, rant over....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Why does it say.....
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:35:38 am »
I'm intrigued that lighter fluid can be extra refined. Presumably it doesn't tolerate swearing?

Anyway, I think the fire warning on your boxers could be because the fabric has some kind of coating, or maybe printing ink if they have a printed design, that is inflammable. Or maybe they're worried you're going to do a Kenny from South Park and kill yourself lighting your farts.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:07:28 am »
Pure cotton might not have any flame resistant treatment.
Whilst you are unlikely to immolate your lunchbox, fire can be a major problem for skirts and nightdresses. (Not that you would wear these too often.
I don't think manufacture/sale of untreated pure cotton nightdresses is lawful in the UK.

« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:15:21 am »
It seems a bit silly though. If I get sent an important letter from say my bank, it doesn't say "KEEP AWAY FROM FIRE" A bit of paper is far more likely to be bunged on a fire than my boxer short clad arse....

Edit: I have been known to try on skirts and nightdresses. You know, just for a laugh  :P

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:29:32 am »
Chucking somethiing in the fire is not the same as wearing it.
Removing burning clothing is a problem.

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:32:35 am »
A mate of mine managed to burn his bollocks by accidentally sitting on some kind of garden candle / light. I wasn't there, but I understand that it wasn't pretty. I think once his pants were hot - they continued to burn him even after he removed himself from the heat source! :o

Guess who this is wearing a skirt to the pub some years ago? ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:37:16 am »

The fire risk may not be solely related to the time whilst being worn.  It is not unknown for young gentlemen to attempt to dry their clothing in inadvisable ways.  Too close to a gas fire is a very common one.  Draped over a gas heater I've seen, too. :facepalm:
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:37:19 am »
I think it's the same logic that directs horriblemarkets to put a label on products telling you to remove said label before putting the product into the microwave.  In the past I have seen this on DVDs, books and bottles of Scotch.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:38:49 am »
You like your Scotch warmed up, I take it?!

« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:39:02 am »

Being on fire is generally a problem!! I didn't have KEEP AWAY FROM FIRE inked into my arse when I was born though!

Erron - what is it with you and your green dildo?!

« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:40:07 am »
I have been known to try on skirts and nightdresses. You know, just for a laugh  :P

Everyone's entitled to a hobby.

Tim

« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:48:19 am »
I can see how warning's of keep away from fire might apply to someone such as myself where the chance of clothing coming into contact with conflagrations is statistically significant. Though I do tend to ignore such warnings.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:51:12 am »
I think it's the same logic that directs horriblemarkets to put a label on products telling you to remove said label before putting the product into the microwave.  In the past I have seen this on DVDs, books and bottles of Scotch.

I posted elsewhere I'd had such a label...
... on a box of condoms!

Tim

« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:55:05 am »
What deviancy is involved in wearing a condom in a microwave? The mechanics of the position certainly point to leading an exciting sex life.

« Reply #14 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:19:43 am »
Erron - what is it with you and your green dildo?!

It's useful for keeping cash in when you have no pockets, i.e. when you're wearing a skirt. :D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:26:01 am »
So presumably, the bit of string helps you fish it out of your bum, then?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #16 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:28:22 am »
You know, that hadn't occurred to me, but yes - it could prove useful in certain 'situations'.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 28 July, 2010, 12:33:37 pm »
What deviancy is involved in wearing a condom in a microwave? The mechanics of the position certainly point to leading an exciting sex life.

Some like it hot...
 ;) ;D

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 28 July, 2010, 01:25:32 pm »
It seems a bit silly though. If I get sent an important letter from say my bank, it doesn't say "KEEP AWAY FROM FIRE" A bit of paper is far more likely to be bunged on a fire than my boxer short clad arse....

People hang clothing in front of fires to dry.  It's not such common practice to wash letters from banks then put them next to a fire.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #19 on: 28 July, 2010, 02:36:47 pm »
I seem to remember a big thing maybe 20 years ago, when there were a few incidents of nightdresses catching fire whilst the kids were wearing them.
I always assumed that these labels were a throwback to the "something must be done" outcry at the time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 28 July, 2010, 02:47:50 pm »
One of my classmates had horrendous scars from a nightdress fire.
She spent months in hosptal as a toddler.
Such incidents were not uncommon before central heating became commonplace.
Something had to be done. Something was done.

Some of the fine Indian cotton skirts are equally flammable and are legal.
Do not wear if cycling past smokers...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 28 July, 2010, 03:01:18 pm »
That's half of Mrs Cudzo's wardrobe up in flames, so to speak.