General Category > The Knowledge

Revell 531c Frame

<< < (5/9) > >>

Paul Smith SRCC:

--- Quote from: hellymedic on 05 August, 2010, 12:48:59 pm ---Beta Bikes -> Madison -> Freewheel. 275 West End Lane NW6 has been a bike shop for as long as I can remember and is now Cycle Surgery.
Revell was one of the Madison marques. I think they were quite good.

--- End quote ---
Freewheel came before Madison, I worked for the 'Freewheel mail order catalogue' (which initially was above the shop in West End Lane) at what was then the Madison warehouse in Horseshoe close near the start of the M1, as the wholesale side grew, especially when they became the Shimano distributor, they decided to finish with their retail side. One of my many roles was as the buyer, the 'Revel Romany' had a standard off the peg version as well as a custom option; the latter were built by none other than Dave Yates back when he was one of the owners at M Steel in Newcastle, before he moved to Coningsby, Lincoln where he still builds frames; see www.daveyatescycles.co.uk

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

hellymedic:
Was Richard Ballantine involved?

Paul Smith SRCC:

--- Quote from: hellymedic on 07 August, 2010, 03:23:43 pm ---Was Richard Ballantine involved?

--- End quote ---
As in the Revell Romany? Not as far a I'm aware, I thought he used an 'F W Evans'; that said there maybe an indirect link with that bike to the Revell Romany as Dave Yates/M Steel at the time built for many retailers, including where I used to work at Pearson Cycles, Dave may have also built the ' F W Evans' as well, infact if my memory serves me correctly he did, along with Condor cycles and I dare say others.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

The Mechanic:
Yippee!  I have just had confirmation from Grant at Mercian that this frame is indeed..a Mercian.  I have bought a few items like new brakes and BB and will rebuild it and try it out on the road.  If it rides well I will get the frame renovated.  Since I now know it is a Mercian I think it will be worth it.   I will post a pic tomorrow as I don't have it on this computer.

Bledlow:
I'd have been content with it being a Revell, though it's nice to know Mercian built it. I remember Revell from the 1980s, & although I can't speak from personal experience, never having had one, they had a decent reputation.

Please don't re-badge it as a Mercian, & lose its history.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version