Linked Events

• The Snow Roads 300K: 28 June, 2008

Author Topic: Snow roads 300k roll call  (Read 23922 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Snow roads 300k roll call
« on: 05 June, 2008, 10:31:53 pm »
Are you thinking of doing it on 28 June?

It's just over three weeks away yet, and there are already over 20 entries, much to my surprise. Apparently, there's an organiser's rule of thumb that says you'll get twice as many entries by the date of the event as you have two weeks before the date.

If any yACFers are planning to enter this, I'd be really grateful if you could put your hand up (either here or by PM), just so's I know how many cards to order. Also it would help in estimating quantities of bridies and gottles of geer for the feed at the finish. Not to mention how many cakes Mrs eck will need to bake.

Also, if you want B&B in the hall after, it would be useful to know that too. I might have to make a wee extra charge for that (no more than £2) to defray the biggest cost, which is hiring the hall overnight.

There will be free commemorative medals, ATM guaranteed for the first 40 riders who enter, possibly for everyone.

Thanks.

The route's here btw: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/The-Snow-Roads
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Re: Snow roads 300k roll call
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2008, 10:44:21 pm »
I may be there - no need for a route sheet  ;D ;)

« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:05:52 pm »
I'll definately be there - but then you know that - my entry's been in for months  :P :-[ :thumbsup:

bridies and gottles of geer for the feed at the finish. Not to mention how many cakes Mrs eck will need to bake.

This is seriously good organisation - I'm really impressed.  Trying to outdo the John Myerscough (Kingdom of Fife) gold standard of Scottish audax organisation?

There will be free commemorative medals, ATM guaranteed for the first 40 riders who enter, possibly for everyone.

:D  :thumbsup:

Also, if you want B&B in the hall after, it would be useful to know that too. I might have to make a wee extra charge for that (no more than £2) to defray the biggest cost, which is hiring the hall overnight.

Could you put me down for that Eck.  Thanks

To all yACF'ers:  This ride promises to be the Scottish calendar ride of the year.  By all accounts, this is a fantastic route in amazing areas of the country.  The effort I've heard Eck has gone to means that you'll not be looked after better anywhere.  :thumbsup:  Roll-up, Roll-up.

« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:08:48 pm »
...and you'll get to see RJMcB's new bike.   ;)

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:08:57 pm »
birdies and gottles might just swing it for me so long I can DNF, get back sooner and gorge myself.

WTF are birdies ? sorry bridies ? are they that corn beef hash type 'dish' in a plastic cup that they used to sell at Murryfield Ice Rink ?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:14:24 pm »
birdies and gottles might just swing it for me so long I can DNF, get back sooner and gorge myself.

WTF are birdies ? sorry bridies ? are they that corn beef hash type 'dish' in a plastic cup that they used to sell at Murryfield Ice Rink ?

Nah, them's stovies pal.

Bridies? see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridie  ??? 

« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:16:33 pm »

WTF are birdies ? sorry bridies ?

Famous Forfar Bridie, on the Monikie, Scotland Website.

Food of the gods, my friend, food of the gods (and tall overweight audaxeers  ;))

And as a (tenuous) related subject, there used to be a Great Forfar Bridie Wine Challenge, where wines from around the world competed to see which was best to accompany a Forfar Bridie.  I know this, as I organised it...

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:17:30 pm »
Sound nice, no lard. Excellent. I hope everything works out for the event. I really would love it I am sure. Good luck to all riders too.

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:25:39 pm »
An example of my in-breeding was when Bill McLaren was awarded an honour in the Queen's Honours List, and I thought it was well justified as the maker of the best Forfar Bridie.  I was somewhat saddened to discover it was Bill McLaren the rugby commentator.

Perhaps eck could get the "real" Forfar Bridie Bill McLaren to present the medals...or to provide the bridies  :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:25:04 am »
You've already got my entry, I'll probably stop in the hall overnight and will definitely need lots of cake  ;)

edit: is there such a thing as a 'veggie bridie'  ???

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:15:38 am »
There's a malicious rumour going round that I've entered  :-\

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:17:50 am »
I going to be there, along with my shiney new lighting set up.  I might even ride it especially slow so that I get to do a bit of night riding :-)

For those who do not actually live in the 'Bridie Triangle' (Forfar-Brechin-Kirriemuir), where are you planning to kip the night before?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2008, 12:56:06 pm »
I haven't ridden anything over 50 miles this year. I'm still a many of kilos over my target weight for entering the event.

It would be foolish to. Though pootling to various scenic locations with the auto and the camera may be a distinct possibility (Do you need a secret control anywhere scenic?).

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #13 on: 06 June, 2008, 01:29:25 pm »
I'm in. My plan is to sleep in my car on Friday night, Enjoy the luxury of the hall on the Saturday. I'll bring spare beer & whisky in case we run out ;).

Noodley - now that you've done the route half a dozen times this month year, how long does it take you? I reckon on going round in about the same time as you take and I'm wondering if I need the full lighting rig or if I can just go with a wee LED to save a few grammes.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:47:01 pm »
By 'eck! Has your competitive nature moved from riding to organising ?

I still plan to start on the 28th, but will probably return home immediately after the ride.
My entry has been printed for many weeks now, but should be in the post this weekend.

16 hours round trip ?

« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2008, 07:02:37 pm »
Noodley - now that you've done the route half a dozen times this month year, how long does it take you?

I'm aiming for about 16 hours. 

I'll have a better idea after Sunday when I ride the route  ;) ;D

(reports of the number of times I have ridden it are greatly exaggerated...)

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2008, 07:26:22 pm »
Me, me, me.  Entry posted yesterday.

Put me down for nae bridie and nae beer   :(

My intention is to turn my works van into some kind of wannabe Bongo, and sleep in that, if I can.  Are the Snoring Competitions held in village halls before an audax organised, or do they just happen?   ;D

I'm starting to get a wee bit worried now.  I've been climbing every hill I can find since last year but I'm now thinking 34 x 27 might not be enough.  Especially if it's hot, and the Snoring Competition goes into extra time. 

I have heard that the bridies are "like elephant's lugs"

« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2008, 07:46:34 pm »
Put me down for applebag's bridie and beer please  :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #18 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:15:28 pm »
Ah Applebag, I thought that you had been absorbed by the marauding hordes of south lanarkshire.  It will be good to hook up with you again. 

By the way I've done many of the Snow Roads hills in the past couple of months and had no problem with my 30 x 32 bottom gear (24 inches), except the fact that it was so low that I wheelied every time it pedalled and it took forever to get up the hills.

« Reply #19 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:21:15 pm »
...except the fact that it was so low that I wheelied every time it pedalled and it took forever to get up the hills.

well, that just shows you are not needing it in that gear.  Stick it in a gear that'll work properly for you.   :thumbsup:

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #20 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:31:49 pm »
Me, me, me.  Entry posted yesterday.
Got it today.
I think you may know that Mrs eck's constitution has a similar dislike of glutenous substances, so we will try to cater for your faddy ways dietary needs.

Are the Snoring Competitions held in village halls before an audax organised, or do they just happen?   ;D
Just to be clear Mr a, and everyone else, we couldn't get the hall for the night before, so the snoring competition will have to be a sudden death final on Saturday night. You'll be fine to park by the hall on Saturday night, but I think somewhere else might be advisable for Friday night. PM if you want any suggestions.

I'm starting to get a wee bit worried now.  I've been climbing every hill I can find since last year but I'm now thinking 34 x 27 might not be enough. 
I've got round comfortably only just on 30x23 and if I can manage that......

I have heard that the bridies are "like elephant's lugs"
Only the Small size.  :o

« Reply #21 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:29:37 pm »
Ah Applebag, I thought that you had been absorbed by the marauding hordes of south lanarkshire.  It will be good to hook up with you again. 

By the way I've done many of the Snow Roads hills in the past couple of months and had no problem with my 30 x 32 bottom gear (24 inches), except the fact that it was so low that I wheelied every time it pedalled and it took forever to get up the hills.

I though 24inchs was when you got off your bike and used 2 feet  ;)

There's no shame in it thou, we almost got round the corner at the top of Cairn O mount on the Grampian Rally before having to engaging the 24 inch ;D

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #22 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:38:07 pm »
I'm starting to worry about my 32" now (28x23) :-\

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #23 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:41:23 pm »
There's no shame in it thou, we almost got round the corner at the top of Cairn O mount on the Grampian Rally before having to engaging the 24 inch ;D

i don't think that I need the 24 inch gear, but it's there and it gets use.  On the plus side, I rode the Dee Lechtable (2ookm 2.25AAA) and i never had to stand up once.  Including the lecht road from cock bridge.  What can i say, I'm cheep cos I had a 12-32 sitting about when I built up my bike  ;D

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #24 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:45:35 pm »
maybe I'll dig my touring casette out and fit it (11-30)