Author Topic: Overweight kittehs  (Read 2077 times)

Overweight kittehs
« on: 15 September, 2010, 11:33:23 pm »
Today was booster-jab day. Having stuck the cats with needles, prodded them everywhere they thought possible and a few places they didnt, provided a couple of worming tablets to ram down their throats and charged me eighty quid for the priviledge, the vet then proceeded to make herself *really* unpopular by saying that both cats must lose weight.  :-[

We don't over-feed them - they get less per day than it says on the cat kibble bag, and they never finish it anyway. I sometimes give them cat treats (I find it useful to have a magic box that causes cats to appear when I rattle it) but since I've had the last box of cat treats for about eight months, I don't think I get through too many. We assume that, despite collars with big "DO NOT FEED" labels, they are scrounging food elsewhere or filling up on mice (and ferret food, but I've discovered that habit, and have moved the fert kibble out of reach).

So, having considered food, we can only consider exercise. How do you encourage a cat to exercise? They have a jingly ball which they will bat around the room a bit, a plush mousie which Ethel sucks, and a string that they will sit on if a hoomin will wiggle it. Occasionally they will chase each other, and when we bring the ferrets indoors Kitty chases the cats for a frantic five minutes before they remember that they can climb and ferrets can't (the vet said that she couldn't condone ferret-motivated cardiovascular activity, but it did seem a good idea).

Anyone any ideas how to slim down a pair of free-range moggies? :-\
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Re: Overweight kittehs
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2010, 11:35:21 pm »
Dammit! Can one of the mods stick this in the kitteh part of the forum? Ta!
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2010, 11:40:50 pm »
Kathy, you're obviously thinking all the time about 'Food and Drink', so posted here, and the kittehs are absorbing your obsession via osmosis.  You need to go on a diet, or ride your bikes more! ;D

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2010, 06:29:41 am »
These people might be able to help:  http://www.thecatwheelcompany.co.uk/

You need another one then you can have a go at cat juggling

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2010, 08:54:44 am »
How much do they weigh? Do they look fat to you?

The very-beautiful-but-rather-pathetic Pyewacket was described as overweight for about 14 years out of his 15 on this Earth. Went to a different vet and she described him as being in perfect shape ???.
Pen Pusher

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2010, 09:15:12 am »
1.  Cut off access to the Great Outdoors

2.  Ensure a decent array of windowsills, ledges, cupboards and other obstacle course materials

3.  Buy earplugs

No helpful suggestions, I'm afraid.  But I didn't think either of them looked like a tubby kitteh when I last saw them.

« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2010, 12:47:54 pm »
They have both put on a few hundred grams since last you saw them. They both have the saggy gut-sway as they walk at the moment.  :-[

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2010, 12:52:17 pm »
They both have the saggy gut-sway as they walk at the moment.  :-[

This is quite normal for female cats of all ages and sizes.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2010, 01:03:06 pm »
Last time Boris the Blade went to the vet he said he was overweight. He's a lean mean fighting machine and I can only assume the vet was trying to flog some kind of magic cat nom at an extortionate price....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2010, 01:13:53 pm »
I've never figured cat weights

Our first cat was emaciated, but happy.  As a tall adult, weighed 1.5 kg.

Of the next two, the male was skinny (but prone to bouts of podge when depressed) and the female tubby.

Of our kittens, the male is heading to be the size of a small planet whilst the female is the size of a pea.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 16 September, 2010, 01:38:36 pm »
Blue ones are fat. Full Stop.
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 16 September, 2010, 02:01:38 pm »
Senior cat food was useful in turning Beltane back from a seal into a scrawn.  She's got less active as she gets older, which, I suppose, is part of the thinking in oldy-cat food.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #12 on: 16 September, 2010, 02:34:57 pm »
So, having considered food, we can only consider exercise. How do you encourage a cat to exercise? They have a jingly ball which they will bat around the room a bit, a plush mousie which Ethel sucks, and a string that they will sit on if a hoomin will wiggle it. Occasionally they will chase each other, and when we bring the ferrets indoors Kitty chases the cats for a frantic five minutes before they remember that they can climb and ferrets can't (the vet said that she couldn't condone ferret-motivated cardiovascular activity, but it did seem a good idea).

Anyone any ideas how to slim down a pair of free-range moggies? :-\

Have you tried a laser pointer/spirit level? My cat, who likes to spend the 23.5 hours per day when he is not eating (or presumably crapping somewhere) goes mad chasing the laser - it also doesn't require much effort from me.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!