Author Topic: Calling folk in the Newcastle upon Tyne area planning to do PBP  (Read 5269 times)

aptstarfish

Calling folk in the Newcastle upon Tyne area planning to do PBP
« on: 21 September, 2010, 12:52:43 pm »
Greetings...

Was just wondering if there were many folk from Newcastle planning to do PBP next year. The bongo drums have already started beating... who is doing what, when you can pre-enter and who is staying where.

At the moment August 2011 seems a long way off but I get the impression I need to come up with a plan of action... how am I going to tackle this challenge.

Initially I am hoping to make contact with local people to chat over various dos and don'ts... maybe meet up to do training rides... maybe share transport and fuel costs to pre-qualification events.

I've seen from other banter on yacf that people living in other areas try to organise themselves into a group or team, which makes sense... pooling of resources, ideas etc. Doing things solo is possible but not as enjoyable...

So drop me a line...

Winter miles... summer smiles...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Calling folk in the Newcastle upon Tyne area planning to do PBP
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2010, 01:09:41 pm »

Winter miles... summer smiles...

If you were really serious about winter miles, you'd ride to Pompey for the Dec 4th get-together and straight home afterwards ;).

Apologies if you live in Portsmouth, aptstarfish, and have therefore suggested Newcastle as a suitable venue for the purposes of milemunching.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

aptstarfish

« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2010, 02:49:26 pm »
Ha ha ha ha... I live in Newcastle...

sounds like you have a merry bunch down there... That's kind of what I am looking for... a bunch of like minded individuals getting together for a common purpose, i.e. PBP

« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2010, 04:25:14 pm »
I'm in Darlo, so as close as you're likely to get on here.

A few of the Vags will probably be riding PBP.  Get yourself out to local events.  Did you ride the Hartside on Saturday?  Or come to Wigginton for Gerry's Autumn Brevet on 10th October - plenty of NE riders will be there.

aptstarfish

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2010, 05:06:05 pm »
Cheers for that... How come there ain't many northerners on here. I have noticed there is a canny Scottish contingent as I have met a few doing the Galashiels 300 and 400... It's a shame I cannot make the event on the 10 of October as I am doing a ride to celebrate a pals 40th... all good training...

Judging by your posts you are already planning your riding schedule for next year...

Winter Miles... Summer Smiles...

« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2010, 01:24:57 pm »
I live in Cleveland so I'm not too far south. I am really up for a go at PBP. Haven't worked out how I'm going to get there,  a ride schedule, accomodation  etc.

I like the idea of a northern contingent getting together. Keep me updated.

Andy

« Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »
We should sort out a meeting somewhere - Newcastle's easy enough for me to get to.

BTW I was idly planning a DIY up thru Newcastle and out to Northumberland for November, if anyone fancied joining me for part of it. 

aptstarfish

« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2010, 01:13:39 pm »
I'm up for getting together to chat about all things PBP

How about riding out to meet in a Cafe one weekend... Middleton in Teesdale or somewhere similar?

Deano - keep me posted on your DIY plans...

I'm doing the Durham and Northumberland 200 this Sunday as a perm to complete SR...

« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2010, 12:22:47 am »
So how was the D&N200?

My DIY: probably Sunday 14th November (but depending on how my knee goes this weekend): from Darlo, up to Newcastle, to Capheaton, over to the coast at Alnmouth-ish.  Back to Newcastle.  Subject to approval by Joe, and to how my knee manages this weekend.

But otherwise, Middleton IT would be ideal for me for a meet-up.  What dates suit?

aptstarfish

« Reply #9 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:30:17 pm »
Eh up! Managed to do D&N 200 in 13hrs 15mins rather slow as I was riding my tourer and there was a brisk northerly wind. I can't wait until my audax bike is built...  ;D

I'm not around the weekend of 13-14 November cos I will be wandering in the Highlands of Scotland. Your DIY sounds a cannyy route. I'm in the process of working out a DIY Route Home-Bellingham-Newcastleton-Haltwhistle-Hexham-Home (approx 210K)

In terms of dates for a chat about PBP pretty flexible, however I cannot make 13-14 November (for reasons explained above) or 27-28 November (my mother's birthday)

What about Lantern Rouge?

« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2010, 10:55:24 pm »
I'll see what dates I can make, and nudge Andy a bit.  He'd be good to have along - he rode the Lowlands 1200 and HBKH this year.

« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2010, 11:25:47 am »
Hi Guys

Sorry for the erratic natue of visits to the forum. My laptop is kaput so have limited use of a borrowed machine. Have also been having problems with service provider. Both landline and internet problems.
A meet at M'teesdale or similar would suit me, but I can be flexable and meet almost anywhere in the region.

Deano if you fancy company on your DIY let me know. E mail would be best.

Andy

« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2010, 10:32:11 pm »
How about Sunday 21st November, about 1 pm at Middleton-in-Teesdale?  I'll e-mail Andy.

aptstarfish

« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2010, 01:49:48 pm »
Sounds good to me...

I'm well excited as I am going to pick up my new audax bike on Friday  ;D

« Reply #14 on: 02 November, 2010, 11:18:01 pm »
Sounds good.  Whatcha got?

I've also invited a few other lads from our club who've ridden PBP before - dunno how many'll turn up, but they'd be good to have along.

BTW I got my weekends mixed up - I can get to MIT well before 1 pm on that Sunday.  Is 11 am OK?

aptstarfish

« Reply #15 on: 03 November, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »
Got Kevin Winter to build a custom steel frame then LBS to put bike together... the whole process has taken 6 months... I should be on that machine for our rendez-vous... the time change is fine...

So see you and your boys Sunday 21 Nov at 11am... I will pm you my mobile number nearer the time...

aptstarfish

« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2010, 03:31:57 pm »
I am still on for meeting up with other PBP aspirants in Middleton in Teesdale this coming Sunday 21 Nov 2010 at 11am... Anyone wanna suggest a meeting point? I normally go to the caff next to the Co-op but IIRW it's a bit small... so I am open to other suggestions...

This is an open invitation... anyone can come along for some PBP related banter...

« Reply #17 on: 17 November, 2010, 01:44:28 am »
Aye, all welcome. 

I think we'll be meeting at the cafe by the lead miners' fountain.  This is at the top of the bank, at the junction between the main road through the village and the back road from Mickleton/Cotherstone.

If in doubt, look for bikes outside!

If the weather's propitious, we should have a wee ride out.  Plenty of nice rides from Middleton.

aptstarfish

« Reply #18 on: 22 November, 2010, 01:10:32 pm »
4 brave souls made it to Middleton-in-Teesdale - Deano from Darlo, Andy 'Lantern Roude, Bill from Kendal and mself from the Toon.

It was good to meet other audaxers and here their tales. We had a substantial cafe stop. The lass at the caff thought we were hanging around to join their Christmas Party... a jovial comment on the length of time we lingered chatting...

It was snowing on the moors between Edmundbyers and Stanhope and then on the return journey everything was tickety boo until I missed my turning at Hamsterly and joined the A68 near Witton-le-wear, I turned into the headwind and it started tipping down. The ride up the 68 was very grim. I only stuck with it cos I wanted to get home as soon as poss...

You know what they say winter miles... summer smiles

« Reply #19 on: 22 November, 2010, 01:23:39 pm »
I think you're all very brave, I live in Bishop Auckland and know those roads very well.  I did think about riding over to say hello but I had a non-cycling friend to stay, and besides I had nothing to offer on the subject of PBP!   :)

aptstarfish

« Reply #20 on: 18 January, 2011, 05:12:08 pm »
All the best... we are officially in a PBP year...

With the recent mild spell I thought I would kick off my PBP training with a DIY 200 over the border to Newcastleton via Kielder... the wind last Sunday was brutal but I was pleased to get 200km in the bank.

I finally sent off entries for some calender events to qualify for PBP, at the moment I have entered:

200 Nippy Sweetie (Edinburgh 6 Feb), 300 Mosstrooper (Tranwell 30 Apr), 400 Lanchester (7 May), 400 Hot Trodd (Tranwell 28 May), 600 The Border Riad (Aldbrough St John 11 June) I may enter other events, possibly another 600

Hope everyone is fit and well...

Bill - How's the frame building project going? Did you get in touch with Kevin Winter?

PEACE!

Alex

« Reply #21 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:16:49 pm »
We've got some similar events - I've just sent entries off for nearly all of Joe Applegarth's events - Gilpin's Gallop, Killhope Grimpeur and the Lanchester.

I'm undecided about the Hot Trodd - AndyC spoke warmly of it last year, so I might nip up.  I was thinking of riding Edinburgh-Preston-Embra, but I doubt I'll bother.

Are you coming down for the Killhope Grimpeur, Alex?

« Reply #22 on: 03 February, 2011, 11:27:45 pm »
We've got some similar events - I've just sent entries off for nearly all of Joe Applegarth's events - Gilpin's Gallop, Killhope Grimpeur and the Lanchester.

I'm undecided about the Hot Trodd - AndyC spoke warmly of it last year, so I might nip up.  I was thinking of riding Edinburgh-Preston-Embra, but I doubt I'll bother.

Are you coming down for the Killhope Grimpeur, Alex?

Dean

Flat Earth Bob & I are doing Preston-Edinburgh-Preston.

AC

Oooh, tempting. 

Actually, do you mean there's a Preston start as well?