Author Topic: Mull It Over - 300km : Saturday 9th April 2011  (Read 48112 times)

Bairn Again

Mull It Over - 300km : Saturday 9th April 2011
« on: 24 September, 2010, 01:18:06 pm »
I have received a steady trickle of e-mail enquiries recently regarding the above event (perhaps not a surprise as it’s an early PBP qualifier).  Given the early interest, I thought I’d post some of the information exchanged in those e-mails here for general consumption. 

This is a new 300k event and the route is effectively a combination of the Port Navigation 200k from the 2009 calendar and the most scenic chunk of the Daylight 600k, which many will have ridden before.  The route is here Place this route map on your website at Bikely.com and a link to this is also on the AUK calendar page.   

The start is officially from Craignure on Mull and the start time is provisionally 8.20am.  This is a later start than I would ideally wish for a 300k however it is the arrival time of the first morning ferry from Oban where I plan to distribute brevet cards on the crossing.  The exact start time will be confirmed when the Calmac summer timetable for 2011 is published  [circa Feb/Mar 2011] but probably wont vary by much.   

Oban is well served by a very pleasant direct train service from Glasgow via Crianlarich, bikes are permitted and booking of bikes is essential.  On the accommodation front it appears that Oban Youth Hostel will unfortunately not be available in April 2011 as it is currently closed for refurbishment.  However, Oban has a plentiful supply of hotels and B&Bs and a basic search on the internet should find a reasonable choice.  As I don’t live in the Oban area, there’s no particular place I’d suggest however IIRC somebody on the forum has a relative who runs a B&B in Oban so there could be a marketing opportunity for somebody.  The nearest campsite I can find on t'internet Oban Caravan and Camping Park is just over a couple of miles away. 

I have a venue booked for the finish which has free parking close by.  As well as a hot meal, riders will be able to sleep here after the ride, although there are no formal sleeping facilities in the hall so beyond slumping in a chair, it’s BYO.  As this event features another ferry journey from Fishnish to Lochaline as well as  late start, I would expect many riders to be finishing in the wee small hours but rest assured that the Audax Ecosse diner will be open all night.

This is perhaps one for nearer the time, but I would actively encourage fast riders [who can get to Ardgour by 21.20] to avoid the A82/Fort William by using the quiet road on the west side of Loch Linnhe and the Corran Ferry.       

As well as a meal at the finish, the entry fee will also cover two feeds at controls en route - details to be confirmed [probably Lochaline & Glenfinnan] but definitely NOT the café at Fishnish!   

Hope this helps. 

G.   

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Mull It Over - 300km : Saturday 9th April 2011
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2010, 02:19:02 pm »
Absolutely superb route, sir. Well done.  :thumbsup:

Now then, that weekend is our wedding anniversary.  (For the avoidance of doubt, dear reader, that is Mrs eck's and mine, not YLG's and mine). I'd love to do this ride, I just need to work out how to earn enough brownie points to be allowed out!

However, Oban has a plentiful supply of hotels and B&Bs and a basic search on the internet should find a reasonable choice.  As I don’t live in the Oban area, there’s no particular place I’d suggest...

The last time I stayed in a B&B in Oban, the "lady of the house" was there alone. She was keen to tell me that her husband was away, working on one of the outer islands ferries. I'd told her I'd need a very early breakfast as I needed to be away about 5.30am, so she agreed to leave something out for me. What I didn't expect was, as well as leaving cereal, bread etc on the table, she had left her undies hanging over the back of a chair.  ???   :hand:

It was that day that Ernst and I did our fastest ever 300.  ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:28:50 pm »
Why are all the really good rides on the same weekend?  The Cambrian 200, the Elenith and now this.  Oh well, I've ridden the other two before so I might have to come up to Scotland for this. :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:41:20 pm »
I just might have to cross the pond to my adopted country for this event
Passing within a short pedal from The Misnish scene of the yearly Whiskey Olympic's (Mull Music Festival)

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:54:52 pm »
The last time I stayed in a B&B in Oban, the "lady of the house" was there alone. She was keen to tell me that her husband was away...  

So how many PMs have you had asking for the address?  ;D :-X

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:57:19 pm »
The last time I stayed in a B&B in Oban, the "lady of the house" was there alone. She was keen to tell me that her husband was away...  

So how many PMs have you had asking for the address?  ;D :-X

Just yours so far.  :-*

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2010, 04:06:07 pm »

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2010, 09:31:10 pm »
 Oban Caravan and Camping Park - our family's all-time favourite caravan site - easy access to Oban, fantastic views and good facilities.

« Reply #8 on: 26 September, 2010, 08:45:52 pm »
There's also an independent backpackers' hostel in Oban:

Oban Backpackers

I would hope to ride this, as the route looks amazing and it fits into my other plans.  It just depends on trains, or being able to cadge a lift.

Bairn Again

« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2010, 05:31:00 pm »
Looking out the window at -9 and the 24th consecutive day with snow, I know it seems ages away but………

Calmac have published their summer timetable. 

Conclusion - no change in start time, still 8.20 i.e. when the 7.30am ferry from Oban arrives in Craignure.

The ferry times at Fishnish look to have something for everybody.  Its 76k and the Lochaline ferries are at 11.30am (24kph), 12.15 (19kph) and 13.10 (15kph).  Minimal Fishnish faffing I hope.

I’ll be scoping out suitable controls while up in Lochaber over the holidays, weather permitting.

G. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 21 December, 2010, 05:54:59 pm »

Now then, that weekend is our wedding anniversary.  (For the avoidance of doubt, dear reader, that is Mrs eck's and mine, not YLG's and mine). I'd love to do this ride, I just need to work out how to earn enough brownie points to be allowed out!

IIRC you own a tandem ;)

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #11 on: 22 December, 2010, 09:38:10 am »

IIRC you own a tandem ;)
We do, we do, but 300k on the back is not Mrs eck's idea of fun.

However.... the prospect of a romantic déjeuner a deux the night before and a couple of nights in Oban's finest hotel (?) have been enough to swing it. She has also volunteered to help Mrs Y with the post-match catering, wee angel that she is.  :-*

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 22 December, 2010, 09:52:31 am »
I have introduced the notion of a weekend in Oban to mrs. jogler who is adamant that our tandem will not be used either ;D
We could make use of our membership of the C&CC.
I'm not sure that I could 300km but I'd like to perhaps start & suckitandsee?

will Forfar bridies be imported?

Bairn Again

« Reply #13 on: 22 December, 2010, 10:24:32 am »
I have introduced the notion of a weekend in Oban to mrs. jogler who is adamant that our tandem will not be used either ;D
We could make use of our membership of the C&CC.
I'm not sure that I could 300km but I'd like to perhaps start & suckitandsee?

Nae probs.

I’d obviously look to encourage everybody to go the distance if possible but there’s fairly obvious, er, review points at Lochaline and at the T junction just before Strontian. 

I’m planning on doing the Lochaline control in person and will cycle back to the HQ at Oban via Fishnish and Craignure which is all of about 8km on the bike.   

However as an incentive to complete the 300km, anybody who cuts the event short and comes back to HQ early will be expected to help out. 

What a dilemma – cycle up that big hill at Kinlochmoidart or peel tatties.         

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #14 on: 22 December, 2010, 10:48:08 am »

Oh, possibly, just for you..... O:-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 22 December, 2010, 11:07:34 am »
in that case I shall come even if I have to crawl naked over broken glass to get there
                                          even if I have to swim up the Irish sea
                                               walk there
                                                     ride there :-\
I'm keen to get there.Although I've not cycled in this part of the world I have been thereabouts in the past as a diver,walker & tourist & know it to be super country.

« Reply #16 on: 22 December, 2010, 11:15:37 am »
in that case I shall come even if I have to crawl naked over broken glass to get there
                                          even if I have to swim up the Irish sea
                                               walk there
                                                     ride there :-\
I'm keen to get there.Although I've not cycled in this part of the world I have been thereabouts in the past as a diver,walker & tourist & know it to be super country.

Any chance of a lift? :D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #17 on: 22 December, 2010, 11:17:30 am »
aye :thumbsup:

Edit: can ye ride tandem? :demon:

« Reply #18 on: 22 December, 2010, 11:18:16 am »
 :thumbsup:

Edit: Sleepy keeps threatening to get me on his tandem.  Only if I can go in front ;)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #19 on: 22 December, 2010, 02:24:41 pm »
What a great route and at Midge-free time too (memories of Daylight 600); super night phase (thou' extra daylight time as further West and North) and on decent quiet main roads.  Also means I do not need to ride the Heart of England 300 on my wife's Birthday.  Just now need to think thro' some logistics to combine with a hill-walking (Corbetts now we have finished Munroes (Ben More on Mull was our last Munro)) trip.

Falls neatly on day after Gloucestershire schools (do Bikeability) break for Easter. Very tempting.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #20 on: 23 December, 2010, 05:34:42 pm »
aye :thumbsup:

Edit: can ye ride tandem? :demon:

I'd stoke for you sweetheart.  But you really wouldn't want me on the back for 300km.... your ears (and legs and lungs) couldn't take the strain :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #21 on: 21 January, 2011, 10:41:03 am »
I've just posted the entry form etc .etc..
That should provide an incentive for me to get my lardyarse onto a bike.

« Reply #22 on: 21 January, 2011, 10:36:28 pm »
I'm in, booked in the backpackers, after having decided that April innatent is probably too cold if I want to ride like a god(dess) the next day.

« Reply #23 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:17:43 pm »
Oh! this event takes place in 10 weeks time :o

Bairn Again

« Reply #24 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:41:15 pm »
Oh! this event takes place in 10 weeks time :o

and I heard a rumour that the Netherlands Ladies TTT may once again be in the West Highlands that weekend.

Whoomph.