Author Topic: Good Broadband Provider?  (Read 2060 times)

Good Broadband Provider?
« on: 11 November, 2010, 10:15:08 pm »
I've been with Ukonline as a broadband provider for several years, but now they're pulling the plug on this £14.99 per month service and handing customers over to Sky with a 6 months free option.

I'm not sure about moving to Sky.  What other alternatives do you use that I could consider, for the same, or even less, money?

Whatever I change to will have to work with a BT line, and I would like a reasonable amount of webspace to upload stuff to.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Good Broadband Provider?
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »
We use BT, my dad uses PlusNet.

No issues I'm aware of, broadband falls off occasionally but i'm not convinced it isn't our cabling . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2010, 10:46:02 pm »
I'd normally suggest the awesome AAISP, but their service doesn't come that cheap.

BE are cheap and very cheerful.

Zen are reasonably good, but probably not the best deal.

PlusNet have some decent deals.  My outlaws use them, no issues since the great mail loss of (IIRC)2005.

BT, Sky, TalkTalk, Tiscali and the like are to be avoided like the plague.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2010, 10:49:59 pm »
No issues I'm aware of, broadband falls off occasionally but i'm not convinced it isn't our cabling . . .

One of the killer features of AAISP as a broadband provider is that their status monitoring allows you to find out *why* disconnections happen (and indeed provides you with some concrete evidence to persuade BT to fix their faults, where relevant).

« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2010, 11:11:22 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, TL and Kim.

Of course, I should have mentioned that I want to be able to access my emails from any computer, with the peripatetic lifestyle that I lead.  That means webmail, doesn't it?  Or is the distinction between webmail and fixed-to-this-computer email not so clear-cut nowadays?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2010, 11:24:50 pm »
Of course, I should have mentioned that I want to be able to access my emails from any computer, with the peripatetic lifestyle that I lead.  That means webmail, doesn't it?  Or is the distinction between webmail and fixed-to-this-computer email not so clear-cut nowadays?

Fixed-to-this-computer email hasn't been since IMAP was invented.  (Well, you could do it with POP, but that got messy quickly, as it generally meant leaving all the mail you'd ever received cluttering up the single inbox.)

IMAP allows you to store your mail in folders on the server, such that any changes to folder contents are reflected in every client you use to access it.  It does require that you have a mail client and that it's configured correctly (a process that's much the same as configuring a POP client), which means that it's only realistically something you're likely to want do on your own computers (or at least your own account on other people's).  In other words, it means you can happily use Thunderbird or Outlook or whatever to access your email on your desktop, your laptop and your sufficiently standards-compliant smartphone without stranding messages on any one computer, but it's not something you're going to do from a random cybercafe or friend's house - you'll still want webmail for that.

Pick a provider that gives you both IMAP and webmail and you've got the best of both worlds.

I also recommend registering a domain of your own for email purposes, from a hosting company that will provide a forwarding service for email if you don't want to get technical about it.  Means your email address isn't tied to any one provider, which makes life a lot simpler when you decide to change.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2010, 06:16:27 am »
Plusnet does imap and webmail. The webmail client is cluncky and slow though, so I wouldn't want to use it as my main access. Fine for holidays if you don't take a laptop - if you do, then you can still use Imap

Having said that - the traffic managment on plusnet can get intrusive. Have a look here to see what you'll get on the different packages.
::. Kitz - PlusNet shaping comparison .::

And what you pay depends on the status of your exchange - Market 1/2 or Market 3 - you pay less on a market 3 exchange. Check yours here:
::. Kitz - ADSL line and exchange checker .::

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2010, 06:35:57 am »
If you have a contract mobile phone with the likes of Orange and O2 you can often get associated broadband deals cheap.  I have one which costs £7.50 per month.  The service is delivered through the BT line and is far superior in reliability and speed even though it was supposedly a like-for-like swap.

I've taken to using gmail by default.

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2010, 08:12:59 am »
Or go with a third party Email provider such as Fastmail then youi can change ISPs without affecting your Email. They provide IMAP and a very good webmail service.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2010, 09:22:16 am »
BE are very good. I've been with them 4 months now and they've always been very helpful with any type of question. Even downgrading my package to a cheaper one because I wasn't going to get over 12 Mb/s. Your exchange has to be ADSL2+ compliant and BE have to have equipment set up there also. Check with SamKnows - Accurate broadband performance information for consumers, governments and ISPs to find out if they are.

BE are no longer offering email to new customers. I'd suggest a gmail account if you're always on the move.

Cheers,
Chris
Weather forecast for the weekend?
It's character building verging on epic.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2010, 09:57:34 pm »
I thought the PlusNet BB+phone deal I just signed up to seemed to be too good to be true - and it was.  They'll no longer include 300 free international minutes in the £5 per-month "Anytime" phone service from 4th January.  This is instead of putting up the price to reflect the VAT increase.

Value for money still seems OK, though, compared to others.  I'll not be using Virgin again after they treated me like sh1t after a couple of issues and complaints.

I use FastMail for IMAP email, as pcoleck suggests; I like to keep my email and ISP separate.  They're very good, with only the occasional little bit of downtime.  They do a number of services to suit all budgets.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●