Author Topic: Are Michelin Krylions no more?  (Read 4650 times)

Are Michelin Krylions no more?
« on: 16 June, 2008, 01:54:40 pm »
I can't find these anywhere at the moment. Have Michelin stopped production completely? They are still in their listing on the Michelin page. Anyone know more than me? It'd be a shame if they are gone as I use them on almost all my bikes at the moment.

Re: Are Michelin Krylions no more?
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2008, 01:57:03 pm »
I sincerely hope not !!!

I swear by them.

There's a chap who posts here - KidJambo I think - who works for Michelin. I think I recall his saying that Krylions ar emade on the same line as another tyre which is being launched, and that Krylions would be hard to come by for a bit. You might want to run a search on his posts and see if you can find anything.
Rust never sleeps

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:03:24 pm »
Great tyres. I got my last one from Chain Reaction, so I've just checked their website.
You'll be able to get the 700x23 on 14/11/08.  :o
Or, if you're in a hurry, the 700x25 size will be in sooner. On 31/10/08

Meanwhile, I've been using the Lithions on one bike. They seem fine, and are a good bit cheaper.

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:06:14 pm »
See Kid Jambo's second post here:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2354.15

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:15:16 pm »
Ah. Bugger. I had seen those chain reaction dates and chuckled. I shall have to consider my option if they are serious.

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:47:57 am »
On Elsewhere I answered the same sort of thread with a direct quote from Kidjambo -  as follows:

I can confirm that the Krylion Carbon range HAS NOT been discontinued and I though I should offer an explanation why this popular range is not currently available.
In June of last year we internally discussed the launch of the new Pro3 range which was originally planned for January 2008. Consequently, the production of the Pro2 was due to be stopped in July which coincided with the closure of a production facility in France and the movement of the production of these top-end road tyres (plus the Krylion Carbon) to a new outlet. We realised that we might have a couple of months of shortage but we did not think that this would be a problem with all of the residual stock in the system.
Unfortunately, we had a problem with the HDPP fabric in the Pro3 - this was manufactured externally and the company went out of business so we quickly had to find a replacement, test and homologate. It was quickly realised that this would mean we would not have the range to launch at the start of 2008 as planned. At this time we discussed several options but realised that we could not be without a premium road tyre for a prolonged period of time so the decision was made to restart production of the Pro2 to create enough stock to cover this gap. Unfortunately, the Pro2 and Krylion Carbon are made on the same machine and it was an either/or situation. Now the Pro out-sells the Krylion Carbon by about 20 to 1 so it was a real "no-brainer". This machinery stopped making the Pro2 at the end of 2007 and is in the process of being shipped to the new production facility. Whilst this is a relatively simple procedure - dismantle the machinery, ship it, reassemble, test, recalibrate and restart production - it can take anything from 6 months onwards. If we had stopped using the machine in July as planned then it would have been shipped at that time and production would have restarted in around March this year and we would probably have had enough stock to cover this period. As it was not shipped until January it means that production will no restart until around the End of August meaning stock arriving in the UK around a month later in late September/early October.
On the subject of the Pro3 range, we had originally planned to wait until we had sufficient stock of all colours/sizes/versions to launch in full but we decided that a compromise of a staggered launch would be best. This has meant that the Dark Grey 23mm version was launched a couple of months ago and is already receiving rave reviews in the cycling press. Several base colours (Digital Blue, Dark Blue, Red and Yellow) in 23mm launched at the start of June and should be in the shops now. More colours (Black, Ivory, Yellow Flash, Orange Signal) in 23mm, a 25mm and a 650C version in Dark Grey, the Pro3 Light in Digital Blue, the Pro3 Grip in Dark Grey plus several limited edition colour options (Cement/Orange Signal and Tobacco/Digital Blue) will launch around the time of Eurobike at the start of September. There will also be a Light Grey in 23mm and a 20mm version, probably in Dark Grey, launched towards the end of the year or possibly into 2009. For more information visit Michelin - Tyre, tyres, car tyre, 4x4 tyres, buy tyres, travel guide, car tyres uk and click on the Pro3 link at the bottom of the page!
I hope that this goes some way to explain the current situation which is far from ideal as we realise but somewhat beyond our control. If the information changes on these tyres then I'll try and post to let everyone know. In the meantime, if anyone has any other questions, comments, feedback or suggestions then they can post on here or mail me directly at andy.james@uk.michelin.com! Happy cycling!"

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:15:55 am »
I was in All Terrain cycles on sunday and they had them in stock.  See mail order link:

ATC: Krylion Carbon Tyre - Michelin - Road - Tyres

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:50:28 pm »
Just been to Decathlon in Sheffield, they have them in stock at the mo.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:38:54 am »
Just back from my annual sales & marketing meeting in France and the news on the Krylion Carbon just keeps getting worse and worse - due to capacity issues at the factory it is now not expected to start production until early 2009 which means it'll hit the shelves around March! :(
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

« Reply #9 on: 23 June, 2008, 11:06:57 am »
KJ,

So what's the recommended substitute in the interim ?
Rust never sleeps

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2008, 11:16:07 am »
KJ,

Depends what kind of cycling you do really - the Pro3 is a better tyre but does not have the same durability. Conversely, the Lithion is quite durable but lacks something in grip especially in the wet. I hate to say it but you might be better looking at an alternate manufacturer for the time being - can't knock me for my honesty!! lol
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:22:55 pm »

Vittoria Rubino Pro, or Rubino Pro Slick.  (The non Slick version has only fine bobbles rather than deep "tread").

Quite light and fast, yet with more rubber than a true racing tyre for more puncture resistance and durability.  Strong sidewalls, too.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #12 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:25:03 pm »
I said an alternative not bloody Vittoria! lol

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:30:42 pm »
One of your main rivals, eh? ;)

I like them!

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #14 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:34:59 pm »
I guess some would consider them a rival but on price, technology and performance they are hardly in the same ballpark - are you saying an Open Corsa Evo CX is on a par with the Pro3 Race?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:38:04 pm »
I haven't tried the Michelins, but Vredestein Fortezza TriComp are fine tyres.  Not quite the lightest, but really grippy.  I've had one puncture, which was a classic snakebite at 145psi, so not the tyre's fault :o  That was a BIG pothole.

They are incredibly hard to fit when new, but like all folding tyres, they loosen up a lot after a couple of weeks on the rim, and fixing that puncture was easy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:52:51 pm »
I've not tried Pro3 race yet, but I'm happy with Open Corsa Evo CX in the meantime.  They've been my favourite tyres for my best road bike for a long time.  I particularly like the sidewall reliability and the ease of fitting and removal - which is absolutely lovely, and unusual to have with such light tyres.  The actual size of the 23s is nice and generous as well.  They (or the tubular version) have been used by pro racers, so the performance in terms of speed is more than good enough for me.

I'm also impressed with Rubino Pros on my audax style bike.

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:56:56 pm »
I was only joking by the way - Vittoria make some fine tyres and tubs - many in the same factory as we do *cough*!

They are quite easy to fit to although tend to be best on Italian rims whereas Michelin seem to fit French rims like Mavic best - strange eh! lol

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2008, 01:01:56 pm »
I thought I'd do Vittoria a favour since none of their representatives post to this forum. ;)

I like the fit of Vittoria Open Corsas on Mavic Open Pro rims - though they would be too loose for some people's liking.  I can even remove them without a tyre lever.  (I test they're safe by over-inflating for a while).

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2008, 01:30:29 pm »
I would say Italians are always loose but that would probably get me into trouble!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2008, 01:56:08 pm »
Panaracer Stradius are notoriously loose too.  In fact, they're anybody's for a blue WKD and a kebab.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #21 on: 24 June, 2008, 09:33:07 am »
I've just ordered All Terrain Cycle's last five Krylions. In grey - bleeeuchh !
Rust never sleeps