Author Topic: Any of the York (or thereabouts) lot want to go for a pootle this weekend?  (Read 18525 times)

Re: Any of the York (or thereabouts) lot want to go for a pootle this weekend?
« Reply #25 on: 08 January, 2011, 07:50:38 pm »
You forgot  uni hill! And millenium bridge  ;)

When I was filmed for Look North, about my helmet cam, they wanted some establishing shots of me riding over the Millennium Bridge.  About 8 times I had to set off from the other side and ride over it. I was worn out by the end!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #26 on: 08 January, 2011, 07:52:44 pm »
York Road / Acomb Road is quite a long drag - for York.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #27 on: 08 January, 2011, 08:00:03 pm »
The best hill training circuits would all about 15 miles out of York.

Easingwold, Crayke  Easingwold would be a good loop as would

Leavening, Leavening Brow, Burythorpe Leavening

Or if your really masochistic

Leavening, Leavening Brow, Thixendale and the steep road back out of Thixendale and back to Leavening.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #28 on: 08 January, 2011, 08:31:05 pm »
Micklegate has the advantage of cobbles, so when you climb it you can pretend you're Cancellara soloing to victory in Paris-Roubaix.

« Reply #29 on: 08 January, 2011, 11:58:36 pm »
I forgot about Settrington High Street - mind you it's best not to try and forget trying to ride up that one anyway.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #30 on: 09 January, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »
The Clifton Reliability Ride used to take in all of those, although whether it still does I have no idea. One of the local SPOCO time trials took in Terrington and Bulmer banks, which I didn't think was particularly sporting at all :)
That would be the Bulmer-Ganthorpe course.  Sadly I've never ridden it - the SPOCOs are run on Thursday, which is a highly inconvenient day for me :(

Here's the current reliability route.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #31 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:05:43 pm »
Well, I ended up going to Darlo, where Deano and I did a route that bore very_little_resemblance_at_all to the one that he had suggested, thank crunchy!  

Slightly alarmingly, the closer the train got to Darlington the more of that solid water stuff there seemed to be outside the window.  Then, arriving at the station and attempting to lift the bike off the train I found the entire platform to be a sheet of black ice  :o  Aware that there was no Basil on hand to rescue me in the event of my falling into the gap between train and platform (oi - who's that laughing at the back at the very idea that my heffalumpiness could ever fit?!?!?) I was very very careful and successfully disembarked, then slipped and slid to the relative safety of the covered part of the platform and escaped through the barriers where I found Deano and the Dave Yates wating for me.  We may have acheived a record for the earliest ever tea stop on a forum ride, making it all of the way from the station to the 'spoons before stopping for a cuppa - well, it would give the roads a chance to thaw a bit, wouldn't it?  No entertainingly pissed-up aggro punters in this one, so it didn't quite live up to the standard of Scab but you can't have everything.  

We headed off, with a couple of 'interesting' moments on somewhat slippy surfaces, out of Darlington.  Can I just say, by the way, that I'm really rather proud of the fact that I didn't actually completely panic on ice even on the REALLY BIG unfamiliar roundabouts - until this winter there is absolutely no flipping way I would even have contemplated heading out on a day like today.  And a year or so ago I'd have been having collywobbles at every other junction, even given the fact that there was naff all traffic about.  Mind, at various points, once we were out of town Deano pointed out the snow covered optical illusions that he had planned to be riding today and I am quite glad we didn't go that way, as some of them are quite clearly the figments of a very active imagination....

I know I should pay attention to the route, but I'm afraid I didn't so I'm not very sure which way we went other than that we did stick to the more-or-less clear main-ish roads (there were a few junctions where Deano said 'oh, we could go that... ah, maybe not!') and ended up at Barton.  I spotted a very fine tower for sale, if anyone has a spare half million knocking around.  It would be nice to have my own tower... and I could even fly a pirate flag on high days and holidays!  We continued through the village and just near the motorway I discovered the joys of Barton truck stop, purveyors of fine greasy fry-ups, which today was accessed by means of traversing a rather large ice rink.  There may have been an unscheduled dismount.  It might not even have been me!  We tried to walk up the little road to the cafe, and I soon realised that going uphill on sheet black ice wearing trainers and pushing a bike is a) a bit tricky and b) not made any easier by laughing your tits off!  It really is most disconcerting to be standing still as your bike slides slowly sideways and you slide slowly backwards.  After about 5 minutes of Bambi impersonations we successfully made it to the kerb, all of a few metres away, and picked our way across grass verges and round parked vehicles to the stairs and the alternate route.  Somehow I don't think they'll be auditioning me for Dancing in Ice any time soon....  Our arrival at the cafe was about as well timed as we could ask for, as we'd just ordered a bacon butty and some mushrooms on toast and sat down when a rather large number of hungry people appeared.  Our elevenses was served up very quickly - they had to wait a bit longer.  

Suitably refuelled with lard and a couple of cups of coffee we made a move in the direction of (I do believe) Bishop Auckland - but don't worry NewtonCap, we didn't get there.  I think (but could be wrong) that it was somewhere on this stretch that there were a couple of bits of road that were particularly icy and required the use of the 24" gear, and passing through one village I had a slightly worrying moment when the back wheel started to go with a vengeance (Deano commented that it looked quite alarming!) but most of the time the road was clear enough - or the ice wasn't apparent until it was too late to do anything about it and I just had to sit tight, remember not to brake and hope that the Very Lovely Valencia would find her own way to the next defrosted bit.  Only a NSTN rating of 'eep' though, even at its worst, and we had the advantage of beautiful winter sunshine to light the way.  We went through somewhere with an infeasibly pretty bridge, then near Summerhouse (oh, to be lazing in one's Summerhouse!) I was very perplexed by my mis-reading of a Pub sign as the "Baby Hunt" and there was what felt to me in my Christmas-exaggerated lardiness a rather lengthy climb into the headwind towards Ingleton before we landed up in Staindrop, where it was time for a nice pot of Earl Grey and toasted teacakes at the Country Tearooms where I also took advantage of the toasty warm radiator to defrost my feet a bit.  Three cafe stops in the day.  My kind of riding.

From Staindrop back to Darlington we had the wonders of wind assistance and it was indeed mostly downhill (really honestly Tiermat!) - at one point I commented to Deano that this was where I had the advantage of having a freewheel.  "Yeah, but it's not bad along here," he said.  "I know, but I don't think I've had to pedal since Ingleton!"  Back into town, round the Very Big Roundabouts and past the rather pleasant Civic Theatre (which has some fine-looking ironwork) and we got to the station to find that the next TPE train to York was due to leave any second - but was fortuitously delayed by about quarter of an hour, giving me plenty of time to faff before catching it.  The platform guard, with whom I had a pleasant natter and who was impressed with my forethought at bringing my own bungee for those East Coast occasions when one discovers the bike-restraining straps in the guards van to be absent or dysfunctional, told me where his best guess was for where the bike storage would be and was proved correct to within about 2 metres.  There was, naturally, somebody sitting in said bike space but they moved without any appearance of disgruntlement when I asked them to and there were plenty of seats on the (bonus points for a non-stopping service) train.  At about this point I realised that I had inadvertently left the chocolate fridge cake promised to Deano in my rack pack.  Oops.  Sorry!

All in all a grand day out.  Warm enough for 3/4s and fingerless mitts, a bit too warm for a hat or a scarf, not a drop of rain and nary a mechanical.  It's probably a bit of a shame that a lot of the lanes were still too frozen to ride - I get the impression that there's some very very lovely riding to be done round there when the weather is a little more benenvolent -  but the mostly A and B roads that we took were on the whole very civilised, and had the added advantage of being new to me.  It felt incredibly good to clock up the first few social miles of 2011 (even though my legs are quite clearly telling me that there were HILLS involved - must be imagining things...) and to blow the cobwebs away. Thanks Deano!

« Reply #32 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:32:04 pm »
I knew it was going to be a tricky day when I nearly skidded into traffic on the A167/A66 RAB.  It was icier than Vanilla Ice, Ice Cube and Ice T )on ice).

I thought you coped with ice better than me, CL - or at least hid it better.  Obv. you won at not-falling-off, but you were most stoical throughout. 

P1090229 by dean.clementson, on Flickr

P1090226 by dean.clementson, on Flickr

Trying to find ridable roads made an interesting game.  The mixtures of black ice, frozen slush, melted slush, melted water and melted water on top of ice made for a challenge.  I was very glad I hadn't ridden over the Pennine passes today.

The pretty village with the bridge was Piercebridge, BTW.  Never mind about the cake - my waistline will thank you :)

« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:43:11 pm »
Sounds like you both had a great day out.  It was wild and stormy night last night and by the morning we had a light dusting of snow that had frozen solid and I could see there was a lot of snow over the moors.  We had to put a load of grit down just to get out of the driveway - The gritters hadn't been out and the road from Bishop to the A1 was very icy.

Anytime you fancy coming out this way again, Crinkly,  let me know and i'll join you  :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

« Reply #34 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:47:16 pm »
You can train on Big Roundabouts[tm] in York as well you know - get yourself up to Grimston Bar or the Designer Outlet (double the roundabouts, double the fun!)

Grimston Bar I've been known to do, even on my own and with a bit of traffic about.  Tend to do the cyclepath round the edges and give way a lot thing when it's very busy tho.... Designer Outlet one?  I find that one alarming on the bus, never mind on my bike!

Quote from: interzen
EDIT: sounds like it was warmer up there too - I was out this morning with full gloves and liners, thermal base layer+jersey, thermal bibs and leg warmers, two pairs of merino socks(!), overshoes and the Polar Buff as a helmet liner and was still bloody freezing when I got home.

Ah - there may be a particularly Crinkly interpretation of 'warm' causing confusion.  I did the Dun Run in my vest and most of the ride to Whitby (at the end of October) in a t-shirt....

I thought you coped with ice better than me, CL - or at least hid it better.  Obv. you won at not-falling-off, but you were most stoical throughout.

Ignorance is bliss, maybe? and I was riding (relatively speaking) a tank.  But don't tell her I described her like that - it might hurt her feelings.

Quote from: Deano

P1090229 by dean.clementson, on Flickr

What's less obvious from that shot is that I'd just walked down the really icy bit!

Quote from: Deano
The pretty village with the bridge was Piercebridge, BTW.  Never mind about the cake - my waistline will thank you :)

I knew it was something-bridge!  I actually did quite well (by my standards) of keeping track of where we were-ish.  And I've fed some of the cake to the boys, in an attempt to avoid me eating all of it...  ::-)

LindaG

« Reply #35 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:48:05 pm »
It sounds like a grand ride Crinkly!

The road outside our back gate looked like this at 11.30 today.  The man we were waiting in for, cancelled, as he felt it was unsafe to drive here from Middleton St George - he had turned back from his walk to church due to the conditions.  That was on our planned route this morning.

Three car crashes in the car park at Toytown Parish Church this morning.

So hats off to the pair of you!  I envy you your nice ride in the country.  Clearly I need to grow some cojones to keep up with you two.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #36 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:56:12 pm »
I will freely confess to finding the platform at Darlo utterly petrifying - it had clearly rained quite a lot onto a very cold surface, so it was completely, totally smooth and it was difficult to stand on, let alone walk!  So I did have a minor 'oh shit' moment - which is why we went for a brew to let a bit more sun get onto the ice.  But most of the roads weren't too bad, with reasonably clear 'tramlines' left by traffic apart from the odd icy patch which wasn't too bad so long as you stripped off a bit of speed before you hit it and then let the bike follow its nose.  The odd junction was slightly alarming, not being 100% certain that you'd successfully come to a halt in time!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:48:30 pm »
Quote from: interzen
EDIT: sounds like it was warmer up there too
Ah - there may be a particularly Crinkly interpretation of 'warm' causing confusion.  I did the Dun Run in my vest and most of the ride to Whitby (at the end of October) in a t-shirt....

Yeah, CL isn't to be trusted when it comes to reports of temperature.  She's the one who can be seen removing layers while I'm shivering to death during stops on night rides.   :)

« Reply #38 on: 10 January, 2011, 12:45:01 pm »

I'm unavailable next Sunday, but I'd be up for a ride on the Sat - possibly Newton Cap would be as well.

The Bishop-Stanhope railway re-opened last summer, and seems to be doing well.  I've not taken advantage of it yet, but it means that I could get a train from Darlo to Bishop, and change at Bishop for Stanhope.  It'd be two changes (Darlo and Bishop) from York.

I would be up for a ride next Saturday.  Me and my bike are moving down to Lincolnshire on Sunday so it would be great to get out there and do it one last time, and if my legs give up around Stanhope then we can get the train back to Bishop Awkward.

Do you still fancy this?  Meet in Darlo Sat morning?

« Reply #39 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:52:27 pm »
Yes definitely, and I think LG might be free too  :)

« Reply #40 on: 10 January, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »
Excellent!

Actually, might it be easier to start in Bishop?  The only disadvantage being, we'd miss the flat run out of Darlo.

« Reply #41 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:29:40 pm »
I think Darlo would be easier for LG and Crusty, so we could meet at the station. 

CrinklyLion

« Reply #42 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:42:00 pm »
If (and it's quite a big if) I manage to negotiate a day out to  play, would you wait for me at the top of the hills? And, thinking about it, at the bottom of the hills. And probably at a few points in between?

« Reply #43 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:45:47 pm »
If (and it's quite a big if) I manage to negotiate a day out to  play, would you wait for me at the top of the hills? And, thinking about it, at the bottom of the hills. And probably at a few points in between?

Indeedy  :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:43:19 pm »
How about meeting in Cockerton on Saturday?  Free parking behind the Co Op (where the wagon is turning left).

Head up to Middleton in Teesdale for elevenses, then hit the hills. 

interzen: if you are riding from Darlo to Spenny, you probably know that there's a more pleasant alternative to the A167, going through Walworth Gate, Heighington, Aycliffe and Kirk Merrington. 

« Reply #45 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:01:44 pm »
How about meeting in Cockerton on Saturday?  Free parking behind the Co Op (where the wagon is turning left).

I like that plan.  The 5-day forecast on the BBC says rain for Saturday - which is ok, at least it's not ice.

(Last train back from Stanhope to Bishop is 3.20pm)

« Reply #46 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:58:47 pm »
interzen: if you are riding from Darlo to Spenny, you probably know that there's a more pleasant alternative to the A167, going through Walworth Gate, Heighington, Aycliffe and Kirk Merrington. 
Yep - if I take the bike, given the amount of junk I'll be carrying I'll probably get the train to Bishop and then use the Auckland Walk from Canney Hill and keep things fairly flat - the Spenny end is about 3/4 mile from my parents place anyway. Saves me from both Park Head Bank and the back road through Coundon and Leeholme.

Weather permitting I'll probably ride back to Darlington the pretty way when I'm carrying less weight, and since I've taken a half day I don't need to be back in York until gone midday anyway - if I leave my parents around 9am I can have a nice little potter. Will see if I can do the climb from Courtaulds roundabout up to Merrington village without barfing up a lung - can never seem to get my pacing right on that one.

Ha.  I thought there might have been a sucking-eggs-the-teaching-thereof air about that.  Can't say I really know the route N of Aycliffe, since I've never had occasion to visit Spenny, and I usually avoid it.  Also, Coundon is bandit country (but you'll be OK on Monday morning - I doubt the denizens rise until after midday).

« Reply #47 on: 11 January, 2011, 12:05:40 am »
How about meeting in Cockerton on Saturday?  Free parking behind the Co Op (where the wagon is turning left).

I like that plan.  The 5-day forecast on the BBC says rain for Saturday - which is ok, at least it's not ice.

(Last train back from Stanhope to Bishop is 3.20pm)

We won't need that.  Otherwise, I admire your positive spin on the weather ;)

« Reply #48 on: 11 January, 2011, 11:46:23 pm »
What time shall we meet? 

CrinklyLion

« Reply #49 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:50:11 am »
Huzzah!  I can come out to play  :)  There's a fair old plenty of trains to Darlo, what time are we aiming for (and can anyone meet me at the station so that I don't get lost  ::-))