Author Topic: PBP - Any Questions?  (Read 3249 times)

PBP - Any Questions?
« on: 10 January, 2011, 10:20:40 pm »
Heather and I  shall be going to the PBP launch at the weekend to report on proceedings. Are there any questions that you'd like to ask the organisation? We also plan to do some historical filming, so we'll try to track down some of the historic starting places, we'd also be interested in any historical questions.

Re: PBP - Any Questions?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:49:37 am »
I notice that the bike check for Sunday night starters (90 hours) is on all day saturday.  However, we wont be arriving in Paris until about mid-afternoon Saturday. My question is, is it possible to book a late time for the bike check like Saturday evening or even Sunday morning?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:59:34 am »
I notice that the bike check for Sunday night starters (90 hours) is on all day saturday.  However, we wont be arriving in Paris until about mid-afternoon Saturday. My question is, is it possible to book a late time for the bike check like Saturday evening or even Sunday morning?
Yep, the details of the registration times would be really useful for many, so travel/time-off can be booked.

(You could ask if we're getting our fucking BRM surcharges back.)

Looking at the Brest wiki page yesterday, they seem to have some nice scenery there that the official route just misses. Any chance you could pop over and get some footage?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2011, 01:14:04 pm »
Heather and I  shall be going to the PBP launch at the weekend to report on proceedings. Are there any questions that you'd like to ask the organisation? We also plan to do some historical filming, so we'll try to track down some of the historic starting places, we'd also be interested in any historical questions.

There's an official contingent from AUK attending as well.

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:43:58 am »
A question that I have not been able to resolve is the status of the Parc Etang campsite nearby.

It is closed "for renovation" but the St Q tourist office cannot tell me when it is reopening. I just checked the Campeole site (the chain that ran it) before writing this message and it seems to have disappeared from there, indicating that it is closed long term or sold off.

While I realise it's not ACP's responsibility, someone there may know what's going on.

Thanks!
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:29:17 pm »
Yes.  Can Tewdric of Wales have one of the first start slots please.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:38:55 pm »
You don't get any more time if you go at the front of the queue, boyo. ;)

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:46:52 pm »

I have the same question.

I really want to know how to get all the required admin done on Saturday afternoon (so I can have a lie-in on Sunday, followed by a stress-free day leading up to the grande departe).  As I will be riding into the first night a couple of hours after starting, I can do without a long and stress-filled day leading up to it.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:49:52 pm »

In my experience you are given a time but if you ignore it nobody complains, nor is anyone either turned away or refused because they are late. Strange because the French are usually sticklers for process.

AndyC
I may (fingers crossed) have to be in Istanbul until the 20th, so this is interesting.  Currently I'm looking at posting my bike to friends in Paris beforehand, flying there as quick as I can and sprinting over to St Q.  I suspect I'll register for the 84 hour group in order to get as late a start as possible.  

How late will I be able to sign on?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2011, 10:57:21 am »
Images of historical finishing medals?  The best I've found so far is http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/pbp/medals/1951.html  I'd like to see previous PBP jerseys too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...